Sketchbook: sketchbook - big ol dump (nudity) - 5.27.08 - Page 8
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: sketchbook - big ol dump (nudity) - 5.27.08

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these last updates wombat! Looking pretty steady. Did you do some thumbs for thesed or just go straight in?

Anyways keep posting, you've improved a lot. Don't be afraid to confront your weak points!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Idiot Apathy: thanks, it really tempting to dive right into details though

@Cup of Joe: yup, mountain goats are amazing, I'm starting to work my way through reading the peer project tonight

@Q-Caddlewick: those ship ones were inspired by some sparth paintings that were inspired by dune, so i suppose it all comes full circle

@j a k e: thanks man

@Ryan DeMita: yeah i need to start doing thumbs for my paintings, they're usually pretty unplanned.

@aph: thanks, i usually dive right into paintings and fix up composition as i go along, it's not the best method but it's fun

whole bunch of stuff, some life sketches, a color study, some homemade 3ch style stuff and the post office gives out free blank stickers! sharpie graffiti strike go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O.O
    -O
    [Shock]

This is GREAT!!! You are quit a sketchin machine yourself. Oohh boy this is going to be fuun!

>"I prefer to pick them off at long range" thinks the guy on the, the, the back of the Gian plucked chicken hybrid.

>So the post office is becoming quite competitive arnt they? We deliver where few men have gone before...

>I'm betting on the PO'd motor vehicle. The profound rodent doesn't stand a chance.

>Awsome awsome hands. That is the patience I need for the line rendering I want to do in photoshop. Those are going into the "inspiring art" folder.

>No idea what it is, but if that is a gun turret on the back I want one. It looks like it belongs in Halo, which I just beat so its on my mind.

>Your hatching is becoming spectacular. It gets better and better. What type of pencil are you using?

>Still on his campaign to stop kids from engaging in insurance fraud?

>good work sticking to the big brushes. Is it okay to begin with the details at this point?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Q-Caddlewick: <giant mobile chicken sniper posts are the way to go
    < they're crazy there
    < i'll refrain from, a very stupid pun about road rage here
    < thanks man
    < i was thinking about the covenant turrets from the first game when i did that one
    < plain old mechanical drafting pencil .5 lead
    < he is a man with a mission
    < it probably is, this wasn't planned to be a painting though

just got back from sf/insomnia tonight and my sleep schedule is all messed up, hence posting at 6:30 am. anywhos it was pretty much the most hectic and amazing weekend i've had in a very very long time here's what i got done there.

preparing for the first night and getting ambushed with a camera by oblio when i already haven't slept in about 36 hours

Life drawings!

Last edited by invinciblewombat; December 19th, 2006 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    insomnia continued
    other misc stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's all this insomnia about? I've seen the banner, and might even have clicked it once, but never truly got what was going on. Mind enlightning me?

You know, I think after looking at these updates, i'm beginning to see why life drawing is so important. Even though they tend not to be as finished looking there is something... ...uh... ...realist about them. It's kind of one of those "duh" things that you can be told over and over but you dont get it until you get it. You gotta figure it out on your own. Am I rambling?
    So sorry to clog up your sketchbook.

Good stuff. A lot of characters in that last post. And a bug... dinosaur... robot.. thing. I'll bet it's hard to get that thing insured.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Q-Caddlewick: insomnia was ca's workshop that happened last weekend, basically a big party followed by lots of people giving demos and lessons and lots of drawing and painting and whatnot. it was really kickass and i learned a lot for one weekend. as far as life drawings go there's sort of an indecipherable difference that you can still pick up from them that you can't when you work from photos. it's hard to explain but it's there.

teen challenge entry, tried alot of techniques i learned at insomnia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a lot of cool subtle stuff going on in the rendering. Excellent job. I like the way you titled it. I want to say more but it is late. Must sleep....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too bad on those figure sketches. Maybe I should do a few...

Meanwhile, I have yet to complete any of my objectives for winter break except for #1; sleep a lot.

sketchbook Updated 12/20/06

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Q-Caddlewick: thanks man
    @ShamblingCat: that's not a bad objective though, we should ask nixon where she went for her figure drawing classes, they're good practice

some tweaks on the horseman one and recentish sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hella, looking good bro. keep it coming. looks like you're putting things you've learned together a lot better in these! the paint is looking great. cool colors.

-ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ryan: thanks man, just trying to integrate everything together

some quick colors on old sketches and some new sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some very imaginative stuff here man! keep it up

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff going on with your sketches! Like Penciler said, it seems like your really applying what you know.
    The horseman came out good, but I think you could still clean it up and tighten the rendering without losing the motion.

And back to music, was "we are old as hell" an extremely ssubtle The Thermals referance, or am I just crazy?
    Keep it up man!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You always have great variety in your sketches. It figures that I go out of town for two days and you start updating like a maniac. Sorry for for such a short comment, but I'm recovering from a bug I think I caught when visiting my extended family. First time I've been sick at all in close to two years. Its all my fault to, not enough sleep, and too much junk food. Oh well.

Keep cranking the the sketches out. Those are my favorite to look at.
    Cool to see you coloring some of them. Way to start taking them to the next level.

The last one I like a lot. Gas masks look so cool and I can't figure out why.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most of the sketches looks good. The spacesuit man looks a bit fly-squatted. All the limbs are going in different directions. Gasmask-guy has some cool shading on the coat. So keep it up, you might want to do a page of quick fashion designs, you seem to have a hang on them.

| My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ ThePenciler: thanks man

@ Cup of Joe: the horseman one hit the point where i was just sick of looking at it, it could definitly stand some more work though. and it is a thermals refrence, I picked up a copy of "the body the blood the machine" the other day and have been really liking it

@ Q-Caddlewick: thanks man, gas masks are just interesting, don't really know why, hope you're feeling better soon

@ Njord-E55: i still fly sway my figures a lot :/ i'll give the fashion studies a go when i feel more comfortable drawing cloth

some master copies, a reffed portrait and some creature things i had drawon on my desk that were very heavily influenced by eriboss and a line of vinyl toys i saw somewhere online.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your master studies are looking good. The color one looks like you put the most time into it, of all of them. Her right eye looks a little bruised, but the hair is great.

The b&w ones look a bit rushed to me. You could continue to refine them a bit more. However that may have been your goal, to do a couple quickes. That new one is good, she could use a bit more crisp of a shadow where her upper lid meets the eyeball.

The red lady need to back up. I need my space thanks. Who does she think she is shoving her face so close to the camera? Slide her lips up a bit and she will look more natural.

The critters are simply... I'm trying to think of a word that does them justice... Marvelous. Thats it. I love them you have to do more. Great new avatar by the way. My favorite one would be the third one. Zomby moose.

I want to see more updates now that the holidays are over.

Later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the OFDW pieces! Though on the last two, you should up the brush size a bit.

And as for Bound Stems, I definitely recommend it, although I personally like the Birdmonster CD (which I bought around the same time) better. I also HIGHLY suggest you check out BAGeL Radio. Live shows every Friday, and it's a great way to find new bands.
    Keep it coming!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wa-chow, this is what I get for being sick hmm? Hehe.

I'll keep it short, it's great to see you continue exploring different styles, you're getting strong in most of them already. T-Dome entry looks sweet! All I can suggest is keep up the black n white practice for values, will help you in your colour work later on too.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Q-Caddlewick: the master copies were a bit rushed all together, but a good learning experience
    the red lady was drinking from a cup in the ref, i kind of ad libbed the lips
    those guys are fun to draw, there will quite possibly be more

@Cup of Joe: thanks, i need to watch my brushes and bagel radio seems really good so far

@iolarnula: thanks, will do

school sketches of spaceships and whatnot and some thumbs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those spaceships are thight. Even though some of them are a bit asymetrical like number; 8 and 14. Alse everything is looking good. Hope you had some happy holydays.

| My Sketchbook |

SSG#15

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the storyboard sequence here, you've got an eye for graphic narrative. Do more of these more often :p Maybe also marker render some of the ships too, give em some punch, I really like the designs here.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do keep the little dudes coming. They are a lot of fun, and I've never seen anything like them before.

Cool storyboards. I've tried doing them but they never come out right. I guess that I'm just going to have to work harder as they are integral to my future job. The ability to thumbnail is a great one to have. To capture the essence of a piece in a few quick strokes. Keep it up.

Great spaceships, I like how you did pilots to go with them. The hippy ones are great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Njord-E55: thanks, not many of them are very aerodynamic...

@iolarnula: i've got to do 12 pages a week of id style things for school so there will be plenty of marker spaceships to come

@Q-Caddlewick: i may do some 3d work with the zombie creatures in the future, they will continue to be drawn so long as class continues to be boring.

trying out some pen drawings, one of my professors suggested i start working in non-erasable media to up my line quality. an illustration for tctd23 also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few more from tonight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the four armed monster talking to the boy, that is the best. The dynamic is good in your sketches now. Keep improving.

| My Sketchbook |

SSG#15

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pen sketches look great. You should be a concept artist for comics (if there is such a thing) I can see how you are applying what you learn at school to your fun designs.

I'm going to try out your professor's advice on that pen thing. I've done it before but it's been a while.

You always have perspective in mind with everything you draw. It shows. It is almost imperceptible but there is a "rightness" to the way that objects and characters are positioned within your compositions. Good work, keep it up.

The crowd sketch is quite nice I like it.

For the dune illustration, first of all, good work. The lines are nice and clean and the half tones help to give it depth. Putting a figure right in front of the camera is always a tricky thing to do, as you have to balance the readablity of the object and yet still be able to see the back ground. I know compostionally it is good to have something on the edge of the page to keep the viewers eyes from wandering off, but I can't help but think that that guy up close would read better if the page extended father to the right. That's just my impression I probably have no idea what I'm talking about so don't take me too serriously.

Anyway great work. So far it's the best one.

Great character sketches in the last post. That big four armed dude makes me think of No Face from the Myasaki movie Spirited away, if you've ever seen it. Don't ask why I think that.

Keep up the good work and I'll see you around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Njord-E55: thanks

@Q-Caddlewick: i think the sheer amount of perspective studies and various other drawing lessons they pound into your head at school will show in drawings after a while even if you're not thinking about it, on the tc piece it's set up rather aquardly in retrospect, should not try to divide things equally in half in drawings, it makes it boring to look at. on the four arm guy i actually had drawn his silhouette as no-face but then changed it as not to be a rip off, Myasaki is really great, and that's saying something because i generally loathe anime.

a whole bunch of crap, some school things, some free time things, gotta finish my portfolio tomorrow morning and couldn't sleep so why not scan a whole lot of crap, there's almost no industrial design work in it atm, just pretty much a condensed version of this sketchbook.

saw scott robertson yesterday too, that was the tits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...itled-2-15.jpg
    This one realy cracked me up. Reminds me of the two slobs in Sin City.
    Perspective drawings are looking good. You should try some pencil shading drawings, most of your work has one shade to suggest shadow. Try getting all the tonal values in a drawing, and maybe you could read the chapter on Tone in Loomis' Creative illutration.

Happy Drawing.

| My Sketchbook |

SSG#15

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1