Sketchbook: sketchbook - big ol dump (nudity) - 5.27.08 - Page 14
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: sketchbook - big ol dump (nudity) - 5.27.08

brandon.leedy is offline They can't do what we do and they hate us for it. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I feel seriously inadequate....these are some really great things....i especially like the blue creature and its lighting, really well done....also if this is the product of a week's sketching i feel even more inadequate, i need to draw twice the amount im doing now. I draw but most of it i dont feel is worthy enough to even post here....any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can tell that your are working with painter. There is something about the brushwork that you can get in painter but not photoshop. It looks like the brushes are more organic. Blending in photoshop is rather artificial, compared with real paint, but painter looks like it is closer.

Sketches look good. Especially the Posmaniacs. Keep working on proportions, that is the one of the hardest things to get right with the figure.
    I need to do some more of those. I need to post the ones I've done for that matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're drawing a lot!
    I really enjoy with your mecha designs.
    More robots!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Leadster618: you better get used to cranking it up, the requirement come September will be 20 pages a week for you. post everything you do here, even if you think it's crap, your process is just as important as your final product and people can't crit the process if you don't show them.

@Q-Caddlewick: painter feels a lot more like analog painting as well, i'm rather uncomfortable in the program tho, probably meaning i need to do more analog painting.

@Jorge Gecov: thanks man, more robot will be coming

this weeks stuff, i slacked off a little, work was wearing me down

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey wombat, i really think you've touched upon a new level of work with that Heavy gunner piece...in your recent posts theres some great pieces, lots of interesting studies that show your learning plenty..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one with the heavy gunner there.

great broadening of your skills is becoming evident.

good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Prophet: thanks a lot man!

@Apocalypse_Rex: thanks!

this week's, a bit late with it, i was on a road trip this weekend and couldn't update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not commenting sooner. Your sb is taking a really long time to load on my pc, so I cannot see your images until I can get to the library.

Hatching, wow. I am loving how you are handling your pencil strokes when you render.
    Sometimes, when you are in the initial stages of a sketch, it looks as though you are getting your lines too dark before you really know where you want them. Those lines don't look as confident and tend to be a bit wobbly. I struggle with this too which is why I noticed. The best way to avoid it that i have found is to stay extremely light until you are ready to commit to the final line. You end up doing less erasing that way too.
    The posemaniac practice is coming through in your character designes. The musculature of these guys is looking good. You are spitting out some interesting ideas. Your industrial design training has put your mind in a state where it is accustomed to producing lots of work. That is going to help you in your future carreer.

Beastwars is awsome.

That creature with the saddle is my favorite in this last post. Nicely done.

I'm seeing a desert theme with many of these character designs. Are they influenced by the dune series at all? I have not read those books yet. Perhaps I should.

For your guys watch out for those pelvises. You have a tendency to draw your figures with wide hips. The guys need to have shoulders that are significantly wider than their hips. This is one of the biggest details that defines the differences between the male and female figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff!
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...titled-10a.jpg
    -I did, in fact, puke. Well done sir.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, awsome chow painting. i really like the robot right after as well.

brandon.leedy is offline They can't do what we do and they hate us for it. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How's it goin, John? Anyways, I had a question, I am nearing the end of my current sketchbook (5 pages to go!) and I want to get a moleskine...well I went looking and I saw that there are two sizes and two types...they have a "pocket" size which is like 3.5 x 5.5 while the "large" size is like 5.25 by 8.25...and they have the "plain notebook" type and the "sketchbook" type... there are almost twice the amount of pages in the plain notebook type but they are a little less quality... Any thoughts? Personally, I'm wondering if the "pocket size" would be too small to sketch on and get worthwhile sketches and scans out of ya know? And idk how much of a difference paper quality would matter to me...just wondering...

Also picked up a pdf copy of loomis anatomy books...so I'll be adding those to the daily sketch practices along with hogarth...they do have a different style!
    ... I dont have a scanner at home so I'm photographic my works and its a pain to upload...but I'll get there, at least I'm drawing!

UPDATE: Also I updated my sketchbook! So take a look, I'd love to hear critiques!

Last edited by brandon.leedy; August 10th, 2007 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Q-Caddlewick: sorry i killed your pc good points about the hip proportions and going dark too early, i am rather heavy handed with the lead, ill watch that.
    beastwars is indeed awesome
    i don't think anything to too directly influenced by the dune series but those are some of my favorite books and you should go read them right now. not the new ones though, those are poop.

@ChaoticKnight: thanks,,, i think...

@jim b:
    thanks man

@Leadster618: you just gotta chill out, medium is not the message, try out some different types of paper, use what feels the best, the only person who is going to be able to figure that out is you. i personally like the moleskins because they're very smooth and can fit in my pants.

recent stuff, too much traveling and not enough drawing these days

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha you're right...I think I'll stick to my regular sketchbooks anyways...Wow, lots of little sketches, nice head work...you are making...headway? LOL I had to say it, the pun was too easy... I also like the speeder bike and the last robot sketch...great detail... The speed paint of the lava pit is also great perspective...Also if you are looking for emotion references, go check some comics, they are great for that...

In response to the comments on my sketchbook: yeah the horse idea was a flop from the start, you really liked the analog version? I know the background is gimmicky, I need to adjust some things...maybe I'll import all the handwritten text instead of the type, i agree with that...oh and you're not the first to comment on the black and white issue with the teen challenge, I have a list of improvements to keep in mind for the next challenge. Finally, thanks on the last ones, I'm trying to do a lot of tight ID style thigns in addition to the looser anatomy stuff.... I'll be updating more, so I'll be around...later man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bloody oath mate, get some sleep already!

If you keep drawing the human face and body at the rate you are now, I fear to imagine how awesome you'll be in a few months' time. Good to see some more colour enviros in recent work and neato ship designs as always.

Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great colors! especially the enviro, really vibrant. i see you are getting frustrated with faces, you should download andrew loomis -drawing the head and hands - it has helped me a shit ton

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those battle suits and robots are great!Love your pencils!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice thread mate, you have some really nice pencil textures, as well as some nice line quality with the pencils, not to mention some hardcore robots, Its looking good, just keep pushing the faces, and try some more interesting poses too....
    Keep it up and if you have a second it would be nice to hear what you think of my SB
    I'll see you around
    -jedininja8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome stuff man, Love the robots. Keep workin' on faces though, maybe puting some time into some nice, polished portraits would help with some of the issues in that area. Other then that great work on everything dude.

Later,

The Nameless Ones
    NJord-E55
    iolarnula
    Apocalypse Rex
    Invinciblewombat
    Wake101
    Q-Caddlewick
    "Draw till your hands a bloody stump then learn to draw with your teeth."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like the pencil stuff. the one, with the close up of the dudes ear, is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, you're making a game already lol ! Mind telling us the story of most of your drawings please.

Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

"I believe in passion & obsession." Hazieq Riefdy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff dude! How long will you be in philly for? Im hopin to catch at least one sketch group that your at. If not, sorry I missed you and I'll catch ya on the boards!

markey2d is offline markey2d is back on CA Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like your robots and vehicle designs. i think you should try and do some more finished work so you can gage where you have come over time.
    try doing some master copies, i here thats a good way to improve.

'Education is our passport to the future,
    for the future belongs to the people who prepare for it today.'
    Malcom X

God is love.

Sketchbook

BLOG

Looking for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lotta faces. Feeling improvement from all the practice. I usually start to notice it after doing about fifty of something like you just have.
    Remember that the face is made up of multiple planes, and that it is not just a few features drawn onto a flat surface. One of the characteristics that helps give the face more form is that line that runs from the cheek bone, down to the chin. By indicating the shadow difference caused by these two different planes you will make your faces pop. It also helps placing the features because you do not have to try to guess their location in a big flat space.
    Robots, especially yours, Rock. Period. Draw more.
    Thats my two cents for today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Leadster618: thanks man, waiting for your update

@iolarnula: haha thanks, ill sleep when im dead

@jim b:
    i started working my way through the book this week, it's a lot to digest in a short period of time

@Camara: thank you!

@jedininjaman:
    thanks, left some comments in your book

Wake101@: made some attempts a portraits below, i really should have used a reference, they didn't turn out too hot

@Newbs: thanks man

@StarbonesCoffin: making a game? i'm not sure i understand, very few of these have any story behind them, just practicing

@ChaoticKnight: ill be in philly until sept 14th, but ill be back in january for about 4 months, hope to see ya at the sketchgroup

@markey2d: thanks, i really need to be more patient and do finished work, i have been meaning to do some master copies as well

@Q-Caddlewick:
    good points about facial structure, im trying to get some more serious studies in on them, robots will never be in short supply around here

the bandwidth isseus around these parts are getting rediclous recently, it's taking forever to open sketchbooks.....

edit: everyone dance!

Last edited by invinciblewombat; August 17th, 2007 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everythings improving bro. keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man your sketchbook is great, You need to finish some more stuff though man
    Also it might help to define form or shape with shadow rather than line, now in your drawings, they revolve around the line work, rather than the shading, to complete the illusion of 3D on 2D you need to focus more on shadow

keep it up bro and thanks for posting in my SB
    jedininja

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FACES
    Everybody loves faces, they are the first thing we look at when we see a picture. We spend most of our lives staring at the things, which, unfortunately, makes everyone an expert on what a face can and cannot look like. Have simpathy for the poor portrate artist, for he has one of the hardest and most unforgiving jobs in the art field.
    CONGRADULATIONS for stepping up to the plate and tackling this subject, (mixing up my sports metaphors) You will find it most rewarding if the critics don't kill you first.

Great form work. You are starting to get a feel for the heft of the human head. There's a whole lotta skull, and hopefully some brains too, going on around that face, so the first trick is to figure out those planes. Loomis is great for learning about how the planes work, but I don't like his method for drawing the basic head. Too many lines and measury thingys. I find that once you understand how the planes work it is easier and takes less time to draw the head as a circle/oval thing with a pointy chin-indication sticking out of it somewhere. Using this as the basic foundation, fill in the locations of the features, followed by indicating the planes. I'll draw it out some time so it will make more sense.

It's good to balance the quick studies, with more finished ones and it appears that you are already doing that. Good work

One thing that caught my eye was, actually, your eyes! Common sense would dictate that two lids sliding up and down on an almost symmetrical sphere would mirror each other forming a sort of football shape. For some reason reality doesn't follow this plan and the two lids are slightly offset. The upper lid generally has it's highest point closer to the nose while the bottom lid is the oposite. Of course this appearence can change depending on what angle you are at.

CHOPSTICKS
    My siblings are obsessed with them, probably because they are obsessed with everything having to do with Japanese culture. Including Naruto. That has to be one of the slowest animes of all time. The comics are better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome face work, and I loved the idea of the medic bot...though did your hear, china's developing a medic bot with a teddy bear head on top to comfort victims in their delusional fits of pain...seriously. Also the giant crawler bot was awesome...I'd love to see that painted. Was that for knex, or just for fun?
    Promise I'll update soon! Its such a pain, having to photograph everything, I wanna have a nice big batch first before I do it again...
    PS: Dance video was hilarious...but kinda creepy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ryan: thanks man, still watin to see that sketchbook get updated

@jedininjaman: i agree, but lack a lot of patience required to render stuff out

@Q-Caddlewick: thanks man, i feel your pain on the japanese-mania, i've got a sibling who dresses up for comic cons and insists they aren't comics they're "ani-mu!"

@leady: but will it be able to defend against baliwood freakout dance numbers?

this week's, need to be less of a bum and draw more, same as always

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice contrast on the Mr. bubbles pic man, I like your hatching style, very messy but you get the figure across real well
    Also you can some really nice dark tones with your penciling nicely done, and that last digital painting...is...gross and the nose seems kindve messed but ya keep it up mate
    and I actually had a nice update a few minutes ago so I would love to hear what you think mate

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1