Thanks

Post [Article] Attitudes and Inspiration for artists

http://www.portrait-artist.org/attitude/index.html

Here's an article that a friend showed me that is supposed to not only encourage artists but break down some concerns and address them. Such topics included are the importance of art education, dealing with the fact that folks /will/ critique you and won't always "get" your work and also artistic self esteem.

The different sections of the article are linked at the top and the bottom.

I gotta say though I like some of the points this article makes, particularly the artistic self esteem one, mostly because I run into a /lot/ of people who are good artists, but they're too embarrassed of themselves to really push harder or make something of themselves when they could do great things in the art world. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are also those artists who can't seem to take a critique, even a relatively good natured critique (that is, one that isn't belittling as much as it is just simply pointing out the flaws of a piece) and this hinders their ability to learn.

Not sure if you guys saw this yet. If it's a repost please feel free to lock immediately =)
    My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's hurtful and depressing, though, to realize that some people thrive on mocking others' efforts. Let's face it, some people wallow in being downright mean. Try to push past the hurt of being the target of a deliberately unkind person. There's not much you can do about them—their bitterness is something that they need to fix within themselves. The best thing you can do is recognize them for what they are, and then avoid interacting with them as much as possible.
    This is the part that gets me.

I've encountered it so much, it's made me paranoid.....I ain't looking for sympathy, it's just a fact.
    Be careful who you associate with. People can really do a bender on you.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    As I said in another thread on here I'm actually quite happy I haven't encountered that at all here on CA, while I have unfortunately had it happen elsewhere, including my own LiveJournal.
    My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)