Tarot card WIP (female nudity) crit? <3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tarot card WIP (female nudity) crit? <3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tarot card WIP (female nudity) crit? <3

Hello! This will be my first post here. (of my own art, that is) Before stumbling across this place yesterday, I was really wondering where I could get some good crit on this piece. (since it's gone... rather a lot more wrong than usual. *__*;;; ) I'm really having trouble with the girl's arms, (she is gently closing the lion's mouth) and this is sort of the first time I'm drawing a lion, sooo.. yeah. (I think I should have practiced first. XD; I'm too impatient.;;; )

It's for a tarot card project set up by another manga artist for manga artists, so I'd like to keep the girl's slightly exaggerated proportions, but if you think there's anything that looks awkward about them, please mention it. :3

Last edited by Okirun; March 4th, 2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Photobucket tricked me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it on the whole, I know you said it's a Manga project, but that cutesy-poo look bugs me sometimes. Once I'm over that, I think her hair style should look more natural, I have a problem with nudes that have "styled" hair, I feel it clashes with the whole, but that's just me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When her face is at that angle, her neck shouldn't be at the very center. You may need to reposition her head a little, or at least obscure the lines at the neck to head region so it doesn't stand out. Maybe you can just block that bit by adding hair.

I'm not sure about her left arm. It seems to look correct, but I'm really can't say if it's actually correct. I'm not strong on anatomy, someone else may shed light on this.

Apart from that neck thing, I think everything looks good at the first glance, proprotions look great in general too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both, I see what you mean about the neck, Jeri, I'll fix that. ^__^
    And Oats, I see your point as well, I'll work on the hair and try to make it look more natural. (She is actually a character of mine who usually has long ears that break up the round shape of her hair, you see, but I had to draw her as a human for this project.)

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Gesture and pose are pretty good, but there are a lot of little proportion/anatomy problems, even within the bounds of manga style.
    Her arms are short.
    Her lower legs are short and massive.
    You need to work on your joints...elbows, knees, and especially wrists and ankles, all aren't articulating properly.
    And her crotch... well, let's just say that compositionally you've drawn a lot of attention to it, and it has serious anatomical issues. Finding reference should be pretty easy, though...

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What he said.

On the arm where you did foreshortening, it doesn't really look like it... Maybe try a different pose? Try wrapping it around the lion's ear, in more of a caressing, caring, feminine way than in a STFULION way. Also,

she needs to lay off the pork chips. They go straight to her thighs =P
    Try making the feet more slender, like in fashion drawings. Good start.
    As for the Lion- It doesn't seem to be struggling all too much... I think he just wants her =D ANYWAYS; Yeah. Unless he is supposed to look subdued, I'd give him a slightly more angry disposition... or, I guess in this case, it would be just plain position. Think of what you would do if some Monkey came and took one of your babies. Now draw that in Lion form!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, thanks you guys, I guess I should probably get in front of a mirror for this, I've really been having trouble lately with joints and such, as you said, Elwell. ^-^;; And as for the pose, Pixel: she is indeed supposed to be calmly subduing the lion and shutting its jaws. It's in the description of the tarot card... I'll try to make it look less awkward, I suppose.

(and I like chubby legs~~ Not to sound all "it's my style, so don't attack it!" ... I know it's not super correct, but I enjoy how it looks.)

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothin' wrong with chubby legs, but those legs aren't chubby. If anything they're too angular. It's the basic proportions, and the way they attach to the pelvis, that are off.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the thighs are fine, what you have to fix I reckon are the knees and the ankles - a tad too thick at the moment as Elwell pointed out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I'll fiddle with them. :3 Thank you~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the legs too (they are only too short)

maybe you can add some tatoos ^^ (don&#180;t mind I&#180;m a tatoo fan)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not a big fan about the left arm, though i can't pin point what is bothering me about it... so take a glance if you care to, otherwise i love the picture itself

in particular, i love the simplistic style with the legs... if that makes any sense... i just have a personally hard time drawing limbs which I like, and the style you're taking of bypassing ankles (with me, its fun to do the same with wrists) and enlarging the overall size of the feet vertically... i just love the style, and i hope my little description made sense... anyways, keep updating, i'd love to see the finished product as well.

'sine scientia ars nihil est'
    Fail early and fail often.

New Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, the legs aren't fat, it's the mix of an incredibly small waist coupled with short calves and too thick ankles that are making them appear that way.

Another thing, I understand that much of anime has this about it, but I never understood why anime artists always draw the top of the thigh (the part that is supposed to be the thickest) as coming in and clearing a massive space between the thighs at the top, by the crotch. I know there is a tendon there and it comes in, but usually unless a girl is severely underweight (like we're talking anorexic-looking), there isn't a gigantic space there. The thighs touch at the top when the legs are together, I don't care what airbrushed models tell you.

Anyway, I know you probably won't fix that, cuz it's an anime thing. ; ) Just thought I'd rant! I think the lion is cute. If you fix a few of the glaring anatomical stuff, you will be well on your way.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Absence and booze.

There are no small sketchpads, just small artists.

The make-perfect button must come from within.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't you get it Bad Brownie? That anorexic, starved-Somalian look is the ideal proportion for today's American girls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brownie
    Anyway, I know you probably won't fix that, cuz it's an anime thing. ; )
    Really? I get the whole tarsier eyes/no nostrils thing, but I had no idea the deformed crotch was an anime trope too. Live and learn.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JERI
    Don't you get it Bad Brownie? That anorexic, starved-Somalian look is the ideal proportion for today's American girls.
    actually, since it's an anime convention, i see it as more an expression of Japanese pop-cultural tastes -- sexually mature but with certain features forever frozen in early or pre-adolescence. i find it a bit repellent, myself.

re: the drawing, everything said about the crotch, lower legs and left arm i reiterate, but also the lion's expression looks like maybe she has really bad pit odor, like "eewww!" if he's being lulled, maybe a more relaxed face and a head slightly tilted up would be more convincing, like a cat having it's chin stroked (most of 'em love that). i think that would help clarify her gesture.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kick ass i love it. it's got a really nice style too

im looking at the left arm i think the problem is it doesnt have depth cause its just a sketch but thats not what concerns me its the thumb of the left arm, just looks odd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing looks wrong with this piece, apart from the right knee. Color it!
    (To the nubs: Letting a piece fall into the anime category by using some stereotypical characteristics(like the eyes), lets you do pretty much anything with the anatomy as long as it looks appealing).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.