Sketchbook: Some serious selftutoring going down here (help out with crits)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some serious selftutoring going down here (help out with crits)

hey people! i figured it's time to get serious for real with my art so I decided to quit my job at the assembly line in the volvo factory here and go for it (we have something called A-kassa which means I get 80%of my salory from the union, kinda unmoral to take adwantage of to alot of peolpe but I figure since I'm doing something productive with my time it's ok).

Anyhow, I have worked out a schedule to really keep me ambitiour, i'ts as follows..

mon: color theory, color excercises and /or painting nad evening school containing model, painting, life drawing, still life and so on. tue: free work so far. wed: anatomy theory, anatomy studies and life drawing in the evening. Thu: free work in the day and evening school in the evening. fri: perspective theory, perspective excercises and environments. sat: portrait/selfportrait or both, facestudies, heads in general. sun: drawing at my local natural historic muséeum.

i feel I need this to keep me from slacking of.. this is not ment to be a scheduele of military disciplin but more of a pointer and something to keep me at it instead of getting drunk or high with my friends and shit like that.

any pointers about the scheduele are welcome.

well now for the pictures, slap me if I miss updating any day without a good reason. it starts out kinda dull I guess but please have patience there will be more intersting stuff further down.

thursday 2/3 free work and evening school:

a quick light and shadow excersise:

playing around mentler inspired:

some life drawings, kinda inexperienced with this and they turned out really bad this time, any pointers on this is welcome.. thyre like 2 - 5 minutes.. really crappy photos to, sorry for that:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wait your getting paid by volvo to draw ? hehe.

The life drawings aren't bad at all, remember you should spend more time looking at the figure than your paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    friday 3/3 perspective theory and excercise: Studied theory two hours or so here, alot of stuff to read - http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html

Then I did some studys on cubes inspired by a thread at sijun (i think thats the name of the forum), most of the pictures was gone so kinda hard to understand averything..

the one of the bottom turned out aight I think but the one on the top should have hade vanishing points alot furthar away.. charcoal and 8B pencil:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    saturday 4/3 faces:

Some faces on freehand:

and a guy with some obvious alcohole problems in watercolors, fineliner, white fineliner and aquarellpencils, kinda like prisma colors:

Tobin: No by my union to look for a new job, heh! thats the immoral part of it. it's for people who get laid of and stuff really kinda like a safety net, but it's my only chance to follow my dreams right now so fuck it, it's only for a couple of months til I start school (hopefully) anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHell
    Tobin: No by my union to look for a new job, heh! thats the immoral part of it. it's for people who get laid of and stuff really kinda like a safety net, but it's my only chance to follow my dreams right now so fuck it, it's only for a couple of months til I start school (hopefully) anyways.
    ahh that makes more sense, im in a similar position although im working a part time job pumping petrol... i've basically got all the time in the world to work at it and get it right before i start trying to get money out of it. right now i have enough money for smokes and drink and the odd art supplies shopping spree.. try working for people, even if its cheap and not exactly what you want to be doing, im doing some design work on the side, real tedious stuff, but its a great way to get to know people who could help you later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tobin: yeah what els can one ask for, drinks,smokes and art..
    yeah would have to be under the table money if I did that, otherwise I would loose the money from my union and make even less..

heres a real quick portrait sketch of moms.. like 10 minutes:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i commend you for your bravery in leaving your position for study... it looks from your work that your heart is truly in this, and that with some hard work and dedication you will find some work doing what you truly want to. No criticism at this time unfortunately, Just encouragement--> Make every single drawing / painting you do the best one you've ever done, attempt to have flawless craftsmanship andyou'll be in a good place very soon, i promise! Because you are going to be trying to get into some school, i'd highly reccomend trying to keep up with your scanning and presentation aspects of your portfolio, even though, no, that part isn't nearly as fun as making the work itself. If you have to backtrack to get work together when ou need it, it costs you a lot of valuable time... good to have a running archive if you catch my drift

drifts away,
    cheers and Bravo!
    joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The work here does show that you are dedicated as guggenmaneuver has mentioned. But in order to get a sense of what characteristic mistakes or areas you might require help with, we might need to see a little more.

What I mean is - there is potentially a style emerging here that is all your own, particularly evident in the group of faces. I think they show an interesting approach to caricature and not neccessarily much to be criticized. Of course if you had a series of portraiture or long poses in figure drawing and we saw definate proportion or structure problems, then maybe crits would come much easier. As these are, the may need a little help with structure and porportion such as how big the ears are and where they are placed - in some caeses too small or placed too low or too high.

At this point, I say do as much life drawing as you can to get yourself back in the swing of things, let yourself loosen up, do lots 1 minute gesturals and ease into the longer poses to add tones, shading and volume

That's it from me, but I will be back to see if there is any true critiquing I can offer. I think this will be a fun thread to visit and see progression.

-Yeti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guggenmaneuver : thanks for your comments.. the thing you say about always aim to make ones best picture ever is a very good point which I never really thought of even though it's vary logical, thanks for that..

mentler: thanks man! I will..

yeticatcher: yeah your absolutaly right, I cant excpect real crits before I have filled the thread a bit more.. Since I will update daily there should be enough to start getting some serious critique in a few weeks or so I guess.. yeah please be back, all critique is very welcome..

now I'm of to the natural historic muséum to draw some dead animals.. hungover and tired but cant let that stop me.. I'll be back with an update later this evening..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is really quite impressive. Would like to see much more from you. Those shading/lighting studies have done wonders to you. Your talent (hard work) shows especially in the shading. Great stuff. Will be coming back once you update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    placeboast: thank you for those encouraging words and please be back..

Sunday 5/3, natural historic(al?) muséum:

Went to the natural historic muséum heavily hungover and with hardly any sleep last night (went home with a gorgeus muse, hah), things were kinda blurry and by the second drawing I felt really sick but at least I got something done and took some insights about values with me..

A rhino i charcole and a little graphite.. was mainly looking for vlues and to get that kinda blocky feeling of the rhinos massive face , plus I'm trying to learn to control charcole, a fairly new medium for me.. would probably have come out more beautiful in only graphite but I learned more this way I think:

And a pair of eagles, a mother andher kid I guess, in a nest.. Really dissatisfied with this one, the shading turned out pretty bad, should have been more patient and gone softer first to build it up, feathers are really hard I think, especialy when everything was hungover-blurry.. I was pleased with the original linework but not with the finished picture.. I feel I learnt alot from this pic though, I easily get caught up on details and sometimes ruin good drawings by doing that (as in this case).. What I should have done was to only go for the values and skipped trying to get all the feathers in there, and saved some detail for last:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're on to something with the charcoal useage here. The texture patterns on the rhino's snout came out very nice. You may have gotten a little heavy-handed on the birds, but the softness shows along the neck and chest of mama bird and the lower part of the wing on baby. Overall I'd say it turned out quite nicely.

-Yeti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeticatcher: hey! yeah the snout turned out pretty good, maybe should have gone a little further with that, but on the other hand I might have made it worse.. Yeah you're right about the birds, should have kept that softness all over the thing..

well here's a small sketch from tonight, looks like shit now with no shading and boring outlines.. I'm gonna go for the same kinda look as with the bum up there but a bit more serious, so the boring lines are just that way so they will really show through the watercolor.. Kinda like this thing with mixing watercolors and ink..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far!

And good on you for having the balls to stick it to the man and follow your dream and stuff - best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apocalypse Rex: Thanks man!

today will be mostly colortheory reading and shopping for colors and some material i need on the day, I think we have model painting at evening school..
    The theory I will be reading is Richard Schmids book Alla Prima.. I'm gonna do his color charts, mincandyman recomended the book to me and it's great..
    Think I need to do those colorcharts since I'm really new at colors and need to learn to really see colors and learn to mix the right ones before I can really start painting..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love these http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2060/faces11am.jpg. nice stylo, nice linework.
    and this has got to be the funniest figure studies ive seen. http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/8379/figurer19rt.jpg.

keep updating and crit in peoples threads, so they come and crit yours.
    if you have some more stuff its a bit easier to crit. good luck with learning to see, i would say keep it nice and loose.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tensai: thanks for the comments glad you like those..

yeah should take more time to comment in other peoples threads to.. will start doing that more.. cant excpect other people to give you stuff if you give nothing back..

monday 6/3, colorstudies: today I have done some reading and been down town to buy colors and some other materials but I'm hoping we will paint at school later today..
    Finished the last sketch, did'nt really come out like I had hoped but I'm pretty pleased with it.. Really happy with the way his hand and espacially his knuckles came out..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's always good to see a person who commits to themselves to do things they really want to do. Yeah, keep it up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I promise U this webpage of tutorials will bring great enhance your art skill. 30days money back guarantee!.

It's basically a page fills with tutorials link gather by hundred, maybe thousand of artist. U better check it out or I'll kik your ass. hahaha

CGTalk tutorial "All In One" - All the Best Tutorial's link cramp into one webpage
    Ultimate Tutorial

Last edited by damdischink; March 6th, 2006 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    over the last one - i think it is begging you to go over it with some prisma colour pencils.

i was gonna post a link to coros tut for this, but all images are down.

its on top of the sketchbook section. coros importance of sketchbooks... really cool, check it out of yo uhave the chance.

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tensai: Allready on it.. dont have any prismacolors though, but similar pencils.. allready got some in there on the hand an under the eyes.. But I'll go over his face with them some more.. I feel the face is very flat and someone on another forum pointed out I need to go over the face some more to get past the flatness, espescially around the corners of the eyes..

Well today it's free work so gonna try to have some fun sketching, among other things I will go over the latest sketch with the olorpencils like tensai said..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tuesday 7/3 ree work: Have had a busy day unfortunatly and have'nt had alot of time to draw, but I finished the junkie pic and did some anatomy studies or what you wanna call it..

anatomy from photoref:

touched up junkie:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some really awesome stuff! Love your colour works! something about them, real inspiring! :3 Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love how that turned out.

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tensai: Thanks

wednesday 8/3
    : a little bit of anatomy.. alot of other shit to do right now but that will be out of the way real soon..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, admire your disclipline. wish i would be that dedicated. thanks for making me go back reading my anatomy-book! looking forward to see more of your sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure drawings are rawking. I'd also suggest trying out softer pencils in the upper 6b dept. for a wider range of values. Diggin' that evil santa with the warty nose. Tastee.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stine: thanks! dont feel my discipline has been to great lately thogh, heh! but that has had it's reasons, getting back to it now..

lukavi: thank you.. softer pencils for the life drawings? yeah I use em sometimes but I was focusing on charcole there..

well I have had a pretty busy time plus I got pretty sick so have'nt been able to draw much..
    but here's the things I have done the last week anyways.. gonna do it everyday again now when I feel better..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hot damn, man! That last piece (skull/japanese waves) is bad ass! Great design/layout and colors.

That's it, I gotta get some water colors now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2