graduating school and then...?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: graduating school and then...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

graduating school and then...?

Hi,
    I currently go to a state university where I'm about to graduate in the fine arts program with a BFA, but I don't feel by any means I'm ready to enter the professional world with my work. I came out of high school with little to no art experience, so I feel like I've got a pretty strong "base" of education at the state university, but am considering moving forward with my education in one way or another. My question is, what are my options? Can I still go to a school that doesn't offer a graduate program? and can I choose to re-do undergrad work at a more prestigious school if I don't do a graduate program (or if I do?).
    I'm mainly looking at Ringling and Academy of Art at the moment, but am open to anything. Any advice would be a ton of help.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by B-nine
    Hi,
    I currently go to a state university where I'm about to graduate in the fine arts program with a BFA, but I don't feel by any means I'm ready to enter the professional world with my work. I came out of high school with little to no art experience, so I feel like I've got a pretty strong "base" of education at the state university, but am considering moving forward with my education in one way or another. My question is, what are my options? Can I still go to a school that doesn't offer a graduate program? and can I choose to re-do undergrad work at a more prestigious school if I don't do a graduate program (or if I do?).
    I'm mainly looking at Ringling and Academy of Art at the moment, but am open to anything. Any advice would be a ton of help.
    A few things to ponder regarding your query here.

What kind of professional work were you thinking about going into beyond your BFA? You say you're not ready to compete in a professional realm but there are SOOOO many different ways of making a living as an artist.

I think the root of the question is...

What is it you want to do with your art? Where do you see yourself applying your skills?? More importantly, where does your passion lie? Is it in concept art? Comic books? Animation? Illustration? Fine Arts? Running a gallery? Doing water colors of lighthouses? Bluntly put- what do you want to do with your art???

You can go to a billion more schools but with no direction, you spending a ton of money without any perceived goals ahead. Think about where and what it is YOU want to do. What one person finds passion in might not be you or might not even be me. Find within yourself what makes you tick. Look deep inside and follow your heart because if you don't have a passion for this, then you're just fulfilling everyone else's assignments and not fulfilling your life's journey. You have choices in this!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should have clarified, I'm interested in illustration and concept art. I'm assuming that an education in illustration would easily translate to the skills necessary to be a concept artist, but I could be wrong. Do concept art programs even exist? and do they include other skills besides just drawing/painting skills?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by B-nine
    I should have clarified, I'm interested in illustration and concept art. I'm assuming that an education in illustration would easily translate to the skills necessary to be a concept artist, but I could be wrong. Do concept art programs even exist? and do they include other skills besides just drawing/painting skills?
    To quickly answer, yes- an illustration background can translate into skills needed in concept art but it's not the do-all end-all. I always recommend my Illustration students take Industrial Design & Animation classes as well. Take a look around this site. See the level of work that you'll need to get a job in the field. Your traditional drawing & painting skills will be the basis for what you'll need in this field- with those skills you shoud be able to transfer them to digital painting skills, storyboards, storytelling and everything else that is needed in concept art.

Ultimately it's your portfolio that will get you into this field. If you feel as though it's not up to par then decide to beef it up in whatever area you're lacking.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.