Sketchbook: replies, link to new sb.. - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: replies, link to new sb..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn good update (so good i almost typed good twice in a row now good appears 4 times in this post) can't comment on anything that hasn't already been said so ummm.... kick ass?

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Skeiff, damn what an update, Great stuff here I really like how you did a bunch of studies and then you mentally applied what you learned great I see you're on your second page now awesome welcome to the second page. I've got the same bridgeman book as well I can see you've already gotten to work on it. I really like the skulls and the facial anatomy stuff. Awesome update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything is your last update is cool. Maybe you should increase the contrast in your life drawings. Nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mentler: Thanks for posting in my SB, you are a big inspiration and thanks for the advice on shading. I need all the help I can get on shading..

loizze: Thanks for dropping by! I actually started doing some of those speed sketches that you said, they are fun! but I need a lot more practice.

DerMidlet: Thanks for the support bud!

stine: Yeah it's the whole body of bridgman books I believe. Or so it says. It's pretty nice, about 18 bucks for the whole thing.

Nii: Thanks a lot buddy, and i'll keep tryin to kick that ass!

ashrumm: Thanks for the support mate! I'm glad you like it, bridgman is awesome to study. Can't wait to see your GB studies.

Ivan.R: THanks a lot! You are very right my friend, I need a lot more contrast. I recently got turned on to how Daarken does his life drawings, i'm going to try that approach and be a bit more loose all around. I really hate my life drawings....

Last edited by Mitchell; July 13th, 2011 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You did this in 15minutes!! I'm jealous nice 3/4 head! You even shaded the hair, its a nice sketch I like the line work almost gestureal quality. Nice variety of line
    as well. The jawline that starts at the neck seems a bit long, from my knowledge its about an inch to inch and 1/2 it looks a bit long. Keep it up i too am working on anatomy see you later bud.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sister said it looks like a maori tribesman but she's stupid, nice quick portrait. Anyways I want to see another enviroment painting your first one is damn good.

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the unfinished feel of it. the only thing that bugs me a little is the upper lip. damn, hard to describe... the little edge above normally ends more underneath the nose. it's pretty far to the right. hope you understand what i mean... anyway, it's just a tiny thing and maybe i just see it because i do it wrong all the time...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashrumm: Thanks for the info, yeah your measurements sound a lot more accurate than what I drew it, when I was drawing it, it felt right to put it there, but as I look at it, I could have made her chin shorter, or neck bigger.

Nii: damn, Your sister is good. it is a maori tribesman! haha. I guess i need to work better on my portraits and stop making people look like tribesmen. hah. Thanks for stopping by.

stine: Thanks a lot! Yeah the lip is probably the biggest thing that was bugging me as well. Like I said, the teacher made us stop exactly at 15 mins so there were lots of things I couldn't refine! that's the worst feeling haha.

More coming soon fella's. thanks for the support!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update! sorry I have been so busy with work,school, and finals, I haven't had much time to update, and not as much time to draw as I would like to have. Things will change soon though, and I'll be filling up pages like a mad man. Here is another head study we did in class. I had to demonstrate how I approach my drawings in class because the teacher liked how I was doing it. Here is the unfinished peice, will be completed thursday. Lots of things I still want to push. Crappy phone picture, lost a lot of detail:

1hr (so far) black charcoal, White conte:

Last edited by Mitchell; April 25th, 2006 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BonesForMyHorses

Looking good <> make sure you have the structure where you what it before you start to render <> if the structure is solid you really don't need a great deal of rendering.

Shading does not make the picture <> as I have said: shadow is not something to depict it is something to depict with <> use light and dark to depict form.

Up you go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks nice but don't you think that the cheek is concave? The cheeks on your last two drawings don't look good to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mentler that's a good critique dude so again I'm left speechless(or without advice). Hope to see you back soon Skeiff great stuff from someone so young and juggling school and this is pretty difficult. But still your giving it a whirl. Nice.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Skeiff, I really like what i'm seeing here, and my only crit is what Mentler said structure is sound good job heads can be difficult. I can't wait til your next update Great job thus far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there, cool update. but i second ivan's thought about the cheek bone - hope you finish that drawing, like it a lot! cheers,

stine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ivan.R: I agree, it was a big problem with me, but like I said, I only had one hour to do this, I'll definately do my best to make it look not concaved tomorrow when we get to work on it again.

Nii: Thanks a lot bud! school sucks!

ashrumm: Thanks a lot man! hopefully next update will be a much bigger one and not these crappy little one picture updates.

Stine: Thanks! I do agree about the cheek bone. Will be fixed tomorrow. plus it looks weird from my camera phone, when I was drawing it, it didn't look that bad, hmm..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the (almost) finished version of the head study, I worked on it for about another 45mins. I might not work on it again, we are moving on to different things in class. I tried my best to fix the concaved cheek. It actually looks a lot different than the WIP i posted. I like it, but I think I can do a lot better. I have the worst teacher.. I learned way more from your guy's critiques than what my teacher told me. Thanks mentler for the advice... i'm not sure if I accomplished what you said, but I sure kept it in mind while trying to do this:

1hr 45mins on a rather large paper:

Last edited by Mitchell; July 13th, 2011 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you can only do so much to a drawing before you start stuffin it up. Good to know when to stop, so your left with mostly what was good about a peice than working on it till youve covered all the good bits up. New stuff soon looking foreward to it. Laters.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, very nice i'm not a huge fan of the all out rendering but, This is very cool! I can tell you learned alot from this drawing. Good highlights nice suddle tones its good skeiff keep it up man great job. Although i'm not a fan of the longer detailed studies doesn't mean we shouldn't do them from time to time. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool ongoing process here. still that highlight left to her nose is bugging me. if that wasn't there the whole drawing would be even cooler. over all great piece, i especially like how you did the hair!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The last one has cool rendering. I think the highlights are a bit too strong but I might be wrong. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    be careful not to overdo the rendering, it looks a bit too jagged atm, i think, like it feels more as if its a metal statue than a face with skin. i think you should soften it up a bit more and be a bit more subtle with the highlights and blending
    mentler has some great advice too
    keep it up and hope this helps for your next portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last version of the portrait looks much better than the previous one! I agree with rodrigo! that it look too shinny and metallic. The paper color which is blue strengthens the metallic effect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nii: yeah I guess I knida stuffed it up a bit...

ashrumm: Thanks a lot! Yeah I like quicker studies as well, but it was for a grade so..oh well.

stine THanks a lot. Yeah that highlight is a bit bright..

Farvus: THanks for checking out my SB!

rodrigo!: Thanks for the tips, it looks real shiny because I used my camera phone to take a picture, and for some reason it makes everything look shiny. In real life it doesnt look that shiny at all. I guess the phone just makes the glare come out more. As well as the rendering.. I wish I had a real digital camera, because this picture does not do the peice justice at all.

Ivan.R Yeah it does look a lot better than the WIP haha. read the reply to rodrigo's comment for the explanation on why it's so damn shiny.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been super busy with finals and all, I haven't had time to update, but I have been drawing. I wish I had more time to draw, but that will all change after the damn finals.

I have been studying bridgman, and I have learned so much. I plan to draw almost every illustration in the book just so I can finally start tackling anatomy.

We will start off with some life drawings from today's class:

Last edited by Mitchell; July 13th, 2011 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup Skeiff. I did'nt mean to suggest you stuffed that profile up, just to mention to know when to stop when somethings gone wrong so you can move on. It's still a good drawing.I'm guilty of overwoking stuff in an attempt to cover up mistakes and bad value transitions, so they end up with the relatively same tone all across the form, so I need to take my own advice at times.

Great update that 3rd one is'nt too bad bro, I like how the outline suggests the form without the rendering, it has some appeal to it. your coming along on the rendering side of things, need work on foreshortening though. Adding weight to a curve will help I think. Study pen and ink works by some of the old masters or ink work in comic book art, you'll get a good idea of where to make a curve thick then taper to a sharp point when foreshortening cillindricle shapes on figures. You're doing well and progressing. Go hard on the finals. Nii out.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! life drawings looking nice (especially like that foot on the second one). bridgman looks great, too. i always find it hard not to adept too much of his drawing style but you're doing a good job at keeping your own. you should definetely keep up the life drawings and working from reference from time to time to check what you've learnt from bridgman. good luck for the finals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update Skieff I can see you've been busy. One thing i've noticed is your shading you've improved lots. And your proportions are improving as well. The only thing i can say to you at this point is keep doing anatomy studies along with your figure work it will help a ton. Other than that you're looking good keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Skeiff thanks for the awesome post on my sketchbook you couldn't be more correct with my crappy rendering its a bit sloppy and rushed. I guess i really never put much thought into the shading process i put all my emphasis on structure. I appreciate the links to the artists you sent me great rendering. Thanks for sharing man I really appreciate the constructive crits thats the only way we will get better. Thanks alot man!!! And don't forget to do an ear!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a really a cool update. Really nice studies all I can say is well done!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Skeiff! thats a huge improvement!
    your pencil stuff is very tight, and I love your work over all!

Keep it up , Im looking forward to see some updates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great flow of improvement! im in love with the girl in
    dress on the first page, really amazed how u managed to
    keep the expression on her face, and the skintone was just
    faboulus (especialy like how u did her left leg, from
    characters point of view).

All that time u dedicate to
    studies are really starting to pay off on the paper, really
    great to see the progress!

Would love to c more digitals in the future, cuz u rock at em!
    Il b back to look for more updates soon, ill cya around

-WolfBane

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2