Art: Young Severus

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Young Severus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Young Severus

Well the cartton snape wasnt very popular ^_^' but thats ok, im here to improve. just can you keep the critiques to a lower level, im a bit too sensative to handle them yet >_>
    anway, this picture tries to reflect the happy inocence that young severus felt when he was a child. he wasnt always a miserable git. this was done in ink, copic markers and coloured pencil
    Young Severus

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    his right eye seems a little strange. Might want to move it out a tad.
    Nice feeling with this though. Good work.

Visit my website: http://www.republicanUS.com

My art: http://ssjmvegita.deviantart.com/

Go Colts; Soon to be Super Bowl Champions!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he mus thave suffered a lot of trauma to have changed so much...nice pic though

Bovis est!

Leeroy (n.) - 1: One who does not grasp the concept of caution; 2: One who likes chicken; 3: One whose battle cry consists of their own name.

Sketchbook, click it or you'll hear from me 'till who laid the rails!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw! HE's so cute. I like this one better than the other - it's easier for me to see him looking happy as a kid, I guess. Is this done in a traditional medium? Doesn't look computer-colored - very cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like this one better. Really dig the coloring and the hair is pretty sweet.

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with JKarwin54 on the eye but overall its really sweet. I love the colouring on the scarf, looks all fuzzy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SO sweet ...

I must confess Sanpe happens to be my fav char in Harry Potter!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awww this is very adorable...makes me wanna give him a hug. his left eye does seem a little off but I still admire the work and the color drawn into the piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree with everyone here, this is a major improvement. Lighting on the coat is all nice, his hair highlights seem a bit scratchy though and his right eye is definately off.

The major crit I have with this is that if it wasn't for your description, there is no way I would have picked this as Severus. The very best fanart manages to communicate not only who the character is but how the events in the pic relate to the story, and you have not managed to convince me this is Severus. Although considering how chibi this is, that may be well impossible.

Keep it up, this is a definite improvement. I'd love to see some anatomical studies from you in the Critique section though.

My sketchbook Critical Feedback = Luv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Except for the eye I also think his left leg seems to be shorter (or maybe I'm just seeing things).

Quote Originally Posted by ruzkin
    Keep it up, this is a definite improvement. I'd love to see some anatomical studies from you in the Critique section though.
    What he said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! It's snapesnogger from deviant . Hey! Okay back to the point. It's adorable, I think, but yeah I agree with people about the eye. It's not traumatically off, it's just...I don't even know how to describe it. It's really cute, and the fuzziness of the scarf is awesome. I like the effect there. Overall nice work .

When there's nothing
    Expose the dark side
    Awakened and emotional
    Expose the dark side
    Impossible to tame

~Reflect the Storm~
    IN FLAMES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    his left hand seems broken as does his left hip or femur.

Also, he is missing a nose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ruzkin
    Agree with everyone here, this is a major improvement. Lighting on the coat is all nice, his hair highlights seem a bit scratchy though and his right eye is definately off.

The major crit I have with this is that if it wasn't for your description, there is no way I would have picked this as Severus. The very best fanart manages to communicate not only who the character is but how the events in the pic relate to the story, and you have not managed to convince me this is Severus. Although considering how chibi this is, that may be well impossible.

im learning anatomy at school right now sorry if a was rude to you before, i had had a pretty bad day ^^;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty cute image, altho snape is way out of character in this image, and almost all your images that portray him. He is still a slippery greasy kid, who is deep into the dark arts, no mather how cute you would want him to be

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cute Snape. Although it would be nice to see how you draw something other than Snape once in awhile...

I'd also like to say, don't worry too much if people snark on you for anime/manga styled art, I get the same. :/ This community seems to be based on the whole Marvel/DC/Wizards of the Coast, etc. styles (primarily realistic and often slightly grotesque) and they don't take kindly to anime, cute or otherwise. Mind you, they have a slight point; a lot of budding artists *do* just copy anime and never learn anatomy or anything. I think the fact that you've only posted pictures of Snape (which are, admittedly, ooc, although I don't have a problem with that) is only going to convince them that you only know how to draw one thing over and over.

So. Prove to them that they're wrong. Post up art, and show them that YES, you do know what you're doing, you just prefer to draw in an anime style, and if they don't like that, pssh, whatever. They can go look at the other thousands of threads with mostly-naked chicks and huge boobs that are floating around here. Of course, make sure that you DO know what you're doing before attempting this.

And that's my two cents. I'm out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

i like this one more then your naga picture. It is nice and visually pleasing, but i think you need to branch out of your manga style.

What you should do i think is take advantage CA's resources and really learn how to draw realistically. I'm not saying that you should quit drawing manga but that you should start learning figure drawing aswell. for every manga drawing you do, also do a realistic drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah i just read that you are indeed learning traditional stuff.
    sorry for missing that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's kinda... simplistic, even for anime. But you're still good, in that style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hate that everybody is commenting on the eye knowing good and well that half of them didn't notice until they read the comments. ok it's been established that the eye could be better. say something new or go do something else. geez, i hate that, it's a pet peeve. comments are meant to be constructive. how constructive is saying the same exact thing? didn't mean to lecture on your pic. let's talk on deviantart.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    she wants crits,she gets crits. some people don't read everything every other person has said.
    besides that,i think the left hand is turned out too much,it looks almost broken.
    and i recommend doing some proportion studies.mainly stick figures or skeletons,because i'm not quite convinced of the "childish" proportions.
    and don't let yourself get down snogger. it's abit more about the pictures themselves than the backstories here.
    make a sketchbook in the sketchbook section and show us your diversest(sp?) stuff!

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time poster long time reader. Anyway...

Queen-Le-Fra-Fra: The eye wasn't brought up that much, and the critiques were not that harsh. You failed to note all of the other constructive comments that the members have given her.

I saw the journal entry on Snoggers DA page, and I'm assuming that you came here because of that entry. I know I'm a conceptart.org lurker but please, there is no need for you or anyone else to come riding in for her defense.

Snogger: This image is cute and appealing, however I think you could have done more with the background. Snape seems to be standing in snow but I can only tell because his boots are sinking into the ground. At first I thought that the blue light behind him was just there as an effect and not because it was actual scenery.

The blue lighting overrides the color of the image and it almost pushes Snape out of the foreground. I would go toward a more neutral color, like a cool green. A little clarity on the "mounds" on both sides of Snape would be great too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone just lighten the hell up. The only thing people are saying is that it helps to study actual anatomy before you choose to stylistically distort it. This makes improvization of the form much stronger and more solid. No one's telling you to quit what you want to do. Just don't rely on the lines and formulas that other artists have estabolished for you. That goes for all of us and it's something EVERYONE needs to work on. Studying from life is a fundamental discapline that's applicable to everything. Being able to train your eye to recognise what you see as opposed to what you think you see is essential. Stylistic interpretation is a great expressive device for art. But it works most effectively when you have that foundation of anatomical knowledge. Then you can take it anywhere you like and remain consistantly solid.

You obviously have tallent and dedication and the piece is something I'd personally consider to be of a refined calibre. Just push it and take your art further.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin
    his left hand seems broken as does his left hip or femur.
    Spot on.

Also the lighting seems really inconsistent. If his arms are that dark on the near side then so should the rest of his coat.
    Maybe research the leather material more, and use some ref.

Added to the lighting, the scarf seems to glow when it sould be in shadow, i don't know if this is a character trait, if so, ignore that.

I don't understand what people have against the crits, this is CA's finally finished section, to be honest i'm surprised this wasn't moved to the critique centre, it might well have done a few months ago.

This is not a personal attack. I just feel i should be honest, i don't think these are harsh crits, just things that should be noted.

Just keep practising.
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cute as the dickens, I do say. Just keep up the practice.
    If I had anything to add, as a fellow purveyor of all things frighteningly adorable, I'd say maybe you could try a few more expressions next time. You could really pop this piece up a few eschelons in the cuteness with a face that really shows a strong sense of awe/joy. I guess it'd also help it to seem more childlike if the hands were cupped, but that's all just stuff for future reference, eh?

FlameRaven, know what you mean. I think it's probably because there's a big emphasis on being professional here (which is a good thing,) and in most Western market concept art is mostly called on for male-centric or traditionally artistic ventures. I grew up on anime, and would like to keep working on it whilst I work up my muscle in other styles as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a long time fan of you gemma, but i have to say, if you can't take critique, you shouldn't post your art. when you post your art, you are asking for critique, asking for attention. A lot of the reason you are made fun of so much is the fact that you generally have a meltdown when you get the slightest critique. Do art for the sake of the harsh critisism, not for the thousands of "omg kawaii"s you get on DeviantArt. DeviantArt is a playground, this is the big leagues. And if you want in, you can't cry when a boss says no.
    orangeflavoredfairy@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing good can come from necromancing this thread. Closed.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 1