Sketchbook: LoTekK's Digital Sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: LoTekK's Digital Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Valorblade: Yeah, the main purpose of the reference works were to get the figure work going. Thanks!

Mr Indigo: That was the only one on that page. It was a relatively short bus ride, so that was all I managed. Haven't really busted it out again yet, unfortunately. Thanks!

Three more SPs:

I was drunk when I did this 15-minute one. :p

I found the lighting to be a lot tougher to pull of than I expected. I shut off all the lights so the only light source was my laptop screen.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool style man. All id suggest is working more on your head construction. Esp the eyes! You crack them, and your a good deal there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with kian3001. It would be a good idea to couple your head studies with some knowledge. With an anatomy book or something similar as reference, REALLY observe the forms. For instance, your nostrils are typically done as just circles disconnected from your upper lip. However, that is not really the case, i think that you just make them like that because you know that the nostrils are basically just openings in your nose. You need to learn some more about the way things are, and draw/paint etc. what you SEE. . . . I am assuming that you will probably do some more SP's . . . soooo, I wanna' see some more anatomical "correctness"!! AND NOT JUST FOR THE EYES AND NOSTRILS!!! It is better when you discover things on your own!!! Go SSGXIX!!! We will be the best!!! Oh yah, I guess according to unknown_epiphany, we are having a vote for a new signature. . . . Or, at least we are brainstorming new ideas. So if you have any suggestions, blurt em' out!!

Interpretation: An artists way of expressing his thought or embodying his conception of nature. - Wiktionary
    -Sketchbook-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see another singaporean! (i assume)

cool stuff with the SPs. : D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those selfportraits are nice, try different medium tho (the digital oils arent the easiest one. namely because of so "rude" application to the canvas) I mea they are opaque. Just try a more gentle approach using pressure and opacity - you will grasp shading forms more rapidly...

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would have to disagree with the top comment, i think these sps are a wonderful path for you to get more loose and stylized for future works to come.. digital oils are a lot like traditional oils, the thicker you apply the paint the more you have to work with. your portraits are so moody and expressive.. one thing i would suggest (take it in if you want or throw it away) is experiment with other brushes the same way as you do with digital oils.. my work looked a lot like yours at one point, then i just started using 4-6 diff brushes in one piece for diff textures n whatnot and i always felt more confortable with my results that it wasnt so 'same' (?)
    thanks for keeping an eye on me, i know i will keep an eye out for your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the comments and advice!

Kian, Mr Indigo: You're right about needing to pay attention to construction. For most of these SPs, I've mainly been massing, without putting any construction lines down beforehand, hence the messed up feature placement in a large number of them. For my last couple SPs, I've made more of a point of laying down some basic construction lines before starting to mass.

As for the nostrils, chalk that up to laziness and a certain lack of comfort and familiarity with the toolset I've been using in Artrage.

Yina: Yup, sunny Singapore it is. Thanks!

Libor: Thanks! I'm actually more than comfortable painting in Photoshop, and using translucent brushes to build my forms; this Artrage binge is really more about having fun with the tools it offers (I actually really love the digital oils), and the sheer simplicity of the UI.

Eli: Yeah, I'm really really loving the digital oils, even if (or maybe it's because?) they're a complete departure from the way I'm used to working with Photoshops brushes. You're probably right about using different brushes to paint, though. I'll try to mess around more with the toolset. Alternatively I can bring the pieces into Photoshop and use my custom brushes to add texture where needed. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

And now a couple more SPs. I'm actually a little behind on these, but my math assignments have been kicking my ass this week.

First, a somewhat different approach, using translucent layers to do something like glazing layers. I got lazy, though, as you can see.

And this one I photoref'd, since there was no way I was going to keep that stupid facial expression on. ^_^ (Zoolander reference, in case you don't get the joke )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great portraits!!! especially if they are done in artrage, wich I feel uncomfortable with... it was great from beginning, but the more I got into it
    the more I "hated" it.. So.. in the end... uninstall...
    but you seem to be very comfortable with it keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,

good self portraits! I dont really know if you have got a true likeness because i havnt seen your actual face. How about a picture just for people like me who havnt seen you before :p Your sp's are getting better tho! Keep it up dude!

Qxzi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The evolution in your self-portraits are get visible. I think it's a good thing to practice doing portraits, because of all details and particularities of the face. Just try to vary angles and expression more. Don't be shy about it and pick friends to draw too. All the advice people are giving to you are really good.

Also, artrage? WHY? XD~
    I hate that program... I can't use it! LOL.

And certainly I'll take a look in the tutorial you said and see what I can do here! ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to clarify: I was no talking about construction lines under the painting! I was talking about ANATOMICAL construction. You know, bones, muscle, fat, skin, etc. I think that you need to learn more about what everything is, instead of just how it looks. Do some anatomy studies with your portraits!!! Improve the "massing" by attempting to correct it with actual knowledge of what it really is!!! Whew. . . . I like that sentence! Post soon!

Interpretation: An artists way of expressing his thought or embodying his conception of nature. - Wiktionary
    -Sketchbook-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very stylized work you have here, but I'd like to see more than just self portraits soon! :0 Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet le tigre I assume the reason why you havent been posting is cuz you're still dealign with all the fan mail

artrage? now that takes real skill now I almost died using that one.

post dammit!

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci
    ---------------------------------------------
    INTERNATIONAL SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP

ERILAZ! OTHERSIDE! CRAZY3DMAN! THEGREYPENCIL!

I SPY WITH MY EYES...GROUP

SEPULVERTURE! BHANU! BENDRAGON! JOHN T!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tekk I didnt know you had a sketchbook here. There is a great improvement in your SP's. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's amazing watching you progress through the self portraits... Keep up the hard work. Isn't it about time for an update?

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooh ho ho ho :3 i seee you ^_^
    lute = whiterose :3
    nice thread you got here ... hmm and your sp's are looking sweet..plan to do another ps.. but with a little more rendering ?:3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey Lotekk: whats up ? busy or something ,try to update for gods sake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Teck! Time for you to update, B-otch! You should at least put your lovely OFDW piece here, silly. And whenya going to start partipating in the 50 Portraits Workshop??? ;_;

Cheers and hug*e*s,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! I love your value studies. Those self portraits are getting interesting too. Show us more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops. Hee hee, been neglecting this for a while, huh? Got busy doing some 3D and other stuff. [/lame excuse] :p Thanks for the comments, guys and gals.

Tyranx! Quit tormenting me! I already know you're gonna wipe the floor with me!

At becca's request, my last OFDW:

And an anigif of my process

A really crappy SP I did in PS a couple days ago:

A quick sunset I did a little while back, ref'd from the gorgeous view from my apartment.

And two studies I did to ease the suckness of not being able to make Montreal (y'all will recognise the photos I used as ref, no doubt)

Now back to my tdome. Argh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe don't worry I'll get pwned in later rounds.

Nice job on that tiger dude btw.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.