What the Hell!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What the Hell!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What the Hell!

I am just very frustrated with this portraiture. Due to the client not being able to provide me anything more than these references:

The sketch that finally passed the client's eyes, yes, it's a beautified version and the client wanted the dress in that stylized manner:

The in progress coloring somehow changed the feature, but very subtly I couldn't catch my own problems.

Right now I am settling for this:

If anyone has any suggestions or a sharp eye about what went wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.
    My problem is I can't seem to capture the subtlety in a face, no matter what portrait I do I just can't seem to get it exactly looking like the person.
    I have a tendency to "idealize" the feature.... I want help on getting rid of that habit too.

This is another portrait I labored 2 hours on:
    The original model:

There's that differences, perhaps on the cheek bone, maybe the chin was too sharp, eyes too long etc. But it was hard to observe at the time when I was drawing her. Perhaps I am missing some subtle measurement I should be making for portraiture while I did the piece.

Last edited by mayshing; March 2nd, 2006 at 12:27 PM.
    altarstudio.com
    I put my work on the altar, it's my gift to the world
    Mayshing's Journey sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The measurements you missed is not subtle but rather glaring. Take the girl for example. Her left eye is shifted to the left by half an iris. Her rather full nose has been narrowed and sharpened. You have also trimmed the lower part of her ear and brushed back her hair line on the left. Some of these problem is the result of the left side of the faced having been drawn to wide.

To achieve good likeness, accuracy is essential, and thats the area you would want to improve on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, with the sketch portrait at the top it looks like the face is too long when compared to the photos, particularly in the cheekbones and nose which throw the general shape of the face out. The forehead is a little high too and her neck is comparable to the right (viewers) with the outer edge of her nose, making the neck a little wider.

The second colour is really nice, but the differences above are carried through and you've narrowed the face at the bottom, making it more angular.

Can't be easy pulling a couple of photos through to a stylised portrait!

Hope the comments help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for pointing it out. The problems are glaring for the portraits themselves, but when I am observing, I have trouble with getting accurate measurement.
    I will work on that skill.

Last edited by mayshing; March 2nd, 2006 at 05:31 PM.
    altarstudio.com
    I put my work on the altar, it's my gift to the world
    Mayshing's Journey sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.