Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts

Pose & gesture thread

This thread is open to everybody.

My main weak point in drawing figures was always stiff or unnatural pose. Yesterday I read Vilppu article about drawing gesture:
    http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.3/3.3p...pudrawing.html
    Nothing special. What made me drop my jaw is that in a regular day animation class students are doing this for six hours. I never did much of gesture.
    I don't want to make my sketchbook a huge dump so I made this thread only for thousands of gestures. I'll post only huge packs of figures on single pics.

Pose & gesture thread

I took big format paper (B2) and and sketched those with charcoal. I also played some movie to get some inspiration for different poses.

Right now I have 2000x2000 px openCanvas file and in 200x zoom I sketch full-screen figures. I'll finish it maybe tomorrow.

Farvus.
    Last edited by Farvus; April 24th, 2009 at 11:55 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok. As I said today some gestures done in digital medium. I try to feel the flow as much as I can...

Pose & gesture thread

Thanks
    Hey..!That looks good!! U have the same problem. Actually i made a post about the same thing. Its about finding the flow in the body. There is something called "line of action" it shows in what direction the figure is going, and its a good tool for feeling the flow. I have one of vilppu's books, and its really good.
    Gesture drawing is very important if you want to do animation. I could post some drawings that i made if that's okay with you ??
    So are you going into animation ??

Thanks
    You're right about finding the flow of the body. I saw your thread and your drawings look very good. However I don't concentrate here on anatomy or proportions beacause it distracts me from feeling the pose while drawing. I rather use masses to exaggerate more.
    Right now I'm praciticing this to help me in drawing single characters.. but who knows. I might go into animation .

You can post your drawings here if you want to. It's open thread for this kind of stuff.
    Last edited by Farvus; March 2nd, 2006 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks
    Yea i try to concentrate more on the flow and movement, but we only o down to 5 min drawings. I Should do some 30 sec drawings. I have a hard time making characters, so i was just playing around trying to make a character where i feel the flow in the body..I still dont have it but im learning.

Pose & gesture thread

Pose & gesture thread
    Last edited by Christian0710; March 2nd, 2006 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting here. I don't feel alone anymore with gesture drawins .
    That's great update. Do also more of those 30 sec ones and after dozen of figures you will really start to feel the action.
    Sometimes it's good to think of some activity like putting on shoes, kicking a ball, pulling box and so on. It helps if you don't know what else can you draw.

I will post another pack of figures tomorrow.
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Thats a great idea, the pulling a box or something like that!! So have you been doing gesture drawing for a long time?

Thanks
    No. I've been doing this only since the beggining of this thread.

Here are new gestures done with charcoal.

Pose & gesture thread

Thanks
    Ohh that’s nice then, but you have been doing lots of figure drawing right ?? You do this after model poses right?

It looks good but I think you make to many lines that does not hang together. Try making 1 line that shows the movement of the body. I know an animator that has some great examples, he starts with 1 line that shows the movement and then he adds the main shapes to it. ribkage, pelvis, feet and head. Here is the gallery

http://www.tegnebordet.dk/index.php?...3&visning=user

Thanks
    Hehe, I do these from head or I remember pose while watching some movie. Actually I make 1 line and then add main shapes. It's only that I repeat the movement of the main line on shapes to make the pose stronger.
    I've been doing lot's of figure drawings before (more anatomically correct ones of course). In this thread I don't stick to it to feel more freedom .

Thanks for the link. I'll try to draw like these.
    Last edited by Farvus; March 3rd, 2006 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks
    mind if i join in?

i intend to be an animator too.

Thanks
    ah.heng - sure! Everyone can join.

Christian0710 - It seems that we have different approach to drawing gesture. I try doing it like in Vilppu's method while you prefer slower method with more anatomy. I think it is important to do it the way you're most comfortable with. There is also stick figure from Loomis drawing method. You can also draw figure like peanut for torso and cyliders for ribs. Or boxes for ribcage and hips like in the drawing you posted here.
    That's why I'll try to experiment with different tools, drawing speeds, figure sizes and different looks of figure. You could do it too...

This thread is not about making beautiful drawings. When I'm careful about it, I start to forget about all this flow stuff. I'm going to draw also ugly figures as long as they are dynamic if you don't mind .

Cheers.
    Last edited by Farvus; April 21st, 2007 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    Yea you are right.. I have been reading some more about vilppu, and I really like his approaches to making the flow. Do you have his book ?? Yea I should do that to. Ill start drawing more ugly but getting the flow. I just ordered a book called “ the animators survival kit. It should have some good approaches to doing animation . I still don’t know which way I like to start out. Vilppu starts with the head, but he does not start with the line of action which I also like. So ill be experimenting just like you. Ill try different approaches.

This is inspiration from vilppu. What do you think ?? Cant wait to se your approach.

Pose & gesture thread
    Last edited by Christian0710; March 4th, 2006 at 03:10 AM.

Thanks
    Hey today i sketched in the garden.. these are 5 -10 sec drawings. I can delete them again after i posted them if you want ? i can also delete some of the older ones i posted. Im just trying different approaches.

Pose & gesture thread
    Pose & gesture thread

Thanks
    fight scene from a video. i only noted the hits, inbetweens i made up myself.
    Pose & gesture thread

Thanks
    Christian0710 - I dig your last update in ink. I can really feel the volume of those figures and the flesh stretches nicely .

ah.heng - nice movement. I suggest not to use much straight lines and put some masses onto this "skeleton" to see how they behave. Try also exaggerate your poses more.

Here are my new digital gestures. This time not so quickly sketched as previous ones.

Pose & gesture thread

Next update in natural media. Pencil propably.

Thanks
    Mann i love your new drawings!! i really like the ballance and movement that you got inm them. is it from a model posing or from a magazine?? How long time did you spend on each of the drawings ?? I need to find some pictures with action in. I think sports illustrated would be good.One mroe question. Do you have the vilppu dvd's ?? or just the book?

ah.heng
    nice figures. But just like farvus said. Feel the movement in the figure. dont be scared to exaggerate.

Christian

Thanks
    Too much lines. Try to capture movement with a single line.

Thanks
    crazyrussian . Hey do you think you could show some examples ???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyrussian
    Too much lines. Try to capture movement with a single line.

there are many styles of gesturing....there can not be "too many lines", unless of course, you lose the figure entirely or take too much time, causing your gesture to become a sketch
    deprived me of my coil

Thanks
    Yea but there is a good way to find the one line that describes the action of the figure. But it depends on the pose you are drawing. If its full of action i like to try and find the one line, but you are right. No rules just tools!!!!!!

Thanks
    a little update.

this was really old, but it fit the topic.
    Pose & gesture thread

for this, i sat around on a saturday night and observed people. but there weren't much intersting poses to capture, so i stopped after half an hour.
    Pose & gesture thread

i did this last night and some this afternoon.
    Pose & gesture thread

Pose & gesture thread

Pose & gesture thread

Pose & gesture thread

Pose & gesture thread

Thanks
    hey guys... there's so much to learn from you guys... i'm a newbie here and feel like joining the fun here too. The followings are few of my gesture drawings some time ago... but seeing the fun of it in this thread, i'm going to draw more everyday and see if i could improve more.

Pose & gesture thread

Pose & gesture thread

Pose & gesture thread
    Digitize the Digital, Change the Dragon to Cable.

Thanks
    Kento

That is looking good. I’m still practicing the same thing. Ill be posting some more later on. I think there could be more action in your drawings. Don’t be afraid that it will turn out ugly. I just did some drawing with my left hand today, because my right hand was in pain, and it helped me a lot. You should try it out. You should read some of Glenn Vilppu’s articles. http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=C...&column=vilppu They will help you a lot. Are you going into animation?

ah.heng

That looks great. You really got some action. Maybe you should try to make some longer lines with more flow in ? just a suggestion.

Here are some examples. 1 or 2 min poses don with right hand.. ill show some with left hand later.
    Pose & gesture thread
    Pose & gesture thread
    Last edited by Christian0710; March 21st, 2006 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Can I throw some in as well>?
    Pose & gesture thread
    Pose & gesture thread
    Pose & gesture thread
    Pose & gesture thread
    very nice those last 2 are Christian!
    and Farvus......at the animation school I go to we are pretty much sorta kinda actively discouraged from drawing gestures, I think that attitude is dumb, the instructors don't care what I think! In short I would love to sit for 6 hours(or as much of it as I could manage) and just do gesture drawings....

Thanks
    Grudge.
    Thank you very much.

Very nice and dynamic drawings!!! I really like them all. They are so alive and I can feel the pull and twist in them.
    What?? They don’t let you do lots of gesture?? That’s the most important step in animation! So what do you all do instead?? Even though they don’t let you do much gesture, I think you have it and its good that you have come that far.

Thanks
    hey chris
    what did you mean by longer lines?

you're ambidexterous too?

Thanks
    Ah.heng

What I mean is that on some of your drawings it looks like, you have been doing the up and down stroke. Where you draw one small line and then go half way up and then draw an then draw the line again. Instead of drawing long fluid lines.

Do you understand what I mean ?? I still think it looks very good.

Thanks
    Pose & gesture thread
    Pose & gesture thread
    Last two pages for now, school is closed for a bit , so no more models
    Christian~
    instead of gestures they stick us with lots of 25 minute poses, during which I never every failed to produce something I totally hated once done, and not in my normal its just not good enough for some reason way, in a real I hate every aspect of this drawing and I should burn it instead of firewood way. but.. one day the day I did the above gestures, that model and I were alone and she and I spoke. She mentioned other animation schools in the area where she models and she said, every one of the students at those schools can bang out a fast readable and pleasing gesture, regardless of weather she was clothed or not. Really made me wonder for a bit.... anyway now I know they are important, without life in a drawing... may as well just take a photo.

Thanks
    Grudge
    Do you not like the drawings you just posted ?? I think they are good. Yea gesture is the most important step, especially in animation. If you only do 25 min or longer at your school then I think you should go downtown and sketch people walking, in some of your spare time. I just got lots of small Kung Fu and aikido video clips so I can sketch the kicks and all the crazy stuff they do. Also going to a sports game and sketching is good. im sorry that they don’t do all the quick poses at your school. Ill post some drawings from the karate sketches later. Keep posting your drawings. I think they look good.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast