Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: animationstudent sketch book! crit them please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

animationstudent sketch book! crit them please

Hello~
    I am an animation student here at AIS. If your curious about the school as I was before I signed up, please feel free to ask questions about it , ill try to answer. I will try to describe what project some of this work was for and how it was done and why.

Anyway my real hope in posting a sketchbook here is that you all will point out where I'm most screwing up and then I can... fix it!
    thanks for looking.

right so art stuff.....
    storyboards~ 2kids,baseball, a haunted house and a coffin~ pencil/marker/india ink /series7/c-6/and a rapidograph in some spots

math geek begs to follow the cutiest girl in 4th grade to pitching practice

begrudgingly agrees and off they go!

OMG my bat its... alive

going to get the ball back

plumbery attacks!

plumbery in its true form

Calculus>plumbery dragon

last board what was in the required coffin

early doodles/sketches for the boy/girl and haunted enviroment

random boards from various other projects

some more serious stuff, studies and what not

and a doodle page, sketching directly with the rapidograph, its ucky~ it sticks and grabs at the page a lot, ballpoint much better.

right, thanks for looking~ crit comment or whatever please

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grudge: your off to a running start i see. I attend at AIColorado and i'm in animation as well. What quarter are you in? I haven't really done any animation as of yet although i am doing backgrounds for an animation that's being made from a company here in Denver. I'd love to exchange thoughts with you and see some of the differences and similarities of our schools. Perhaps we can help each other out! After all that's what this site is all about! Keep up the good work!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice,

one thing I ve to say is, you need to make your drawing more fluid
    that mean, u should learn the basic shapes of your character.

it helped alot when you start to animate your charater.
    for now your drawing looks more comical than animation.
    You have good work already, just need more touch up, esp the fluidness ...

try to draw the same proportion of one character, to another as well as same head/face expressions. it helps a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm stoked you too the time to scan all of these in! Joy!

Your greyscale storyboards are your strongest pieces so far. The action reads pretty clearly and you have some great expressions and poses! What I am noticing in most of your characters though is that you are relying a bit too heavily on the style of your lines instead of the form of your characters. I'm sure at an animation school they are beating you upside the head with life drawing, which of course will only help your caricatures in the long run.

If I have any advice for you now, it's to take a step back from the fluidity of your ink strokes and start to sketch forms more with pencil; compare the shape of the head of the girl in your second image to the calves and dress of your granny with the walker and you can see the difference. Granny has that great fluidity and expression of line with a solid, believable form.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, I hope to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right~
    Plumbo, the plumbery dragon, and Mario's ex-wife.(pencil/watercolor)
    Illustration for conceptual storytelling class supposeably to serve as the cover for a script so as to encourage you to want to read the script..... this encourages me to want to really really study anatomy some more, and plumbery~

Xvampire~ thanks for pointing that out, I do often skip on the laying in and blocking out mass stage, and it produces passable results for sketches and what not, but trying to animate that stuff is just a mess. I have no actually animation classes this quarter so I haven't been working with turning masses and clean lines much, and thats not good!

Penciler~ HI! I wish I was in colorado, I bet you have good snow a lot of the year there! anyway, AiS is.... well, its not exactly what I was expecting, I mean I love the teachers they are so skilled, but I often wonder.... why is an amazing PAINTER teaching me acting...? and why am I taking acting in the first place? when just assuming I never have an actual job in animation I could always hangout in washington square park painting the tourists for change, IF the acting teacher would just teach me to paint!

Steph ~ Aye.. I think the answer for me here is to start using an eraser...
    and please post more of your quick ballpoint people sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thrilled to hear you're learning from my SB ^_^ I'm a real punk about updating it though, so might I suggest you check out Vilppu in the meantime?

http://www.vilppustudio.com/quicksketch.htm

Gestures... so... sexy... *joygasm* And I owe you a big thank you, since you've started to motivate me to do more quick sketches. For the record though, I don't use ballpoint. I use Hi-tech C pens, apparently they're illegal in this country (some sorta patent thing) but there are Japanese bookstores that carry them. They are like liquid pencil! I would liken them more to Microns rather than Rapidographs, but unlike Microns, they aren't felt tipped and prone to drying out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahahah! I took the acting and movement class last quarter. My teacher was an actual actor who gas worked in Hollyweird tho. I actually learned alot about movement. One time he had us move around the room as if we were walking in peanut butter. It was dorky at first but i got a real good feel for how a person would walk in something sticky if i ever need to animate it. Sorry your class isn't going as well.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay so more storyboards....
    required 15 boards~ a natvie american creation myth done in their style, which is a strange requirement, but I went with cartoons of the native american dolls.... shouldn't be to far away from what was requested.
    I tried to stay on model for these... I think I did, but you know looking at your own work for so long.... its easy to get lost in it.As always, crit comment, poke fun at ... whatever you like~
    Its sparse on the storytelling so....

Nunabozo , returns from a hunting trip to his lodge and can't find his cousin!
    He looks around and finds the trail of the great serpent, his enemy.

Nunabozo grabs his bow and arrows
    Nunabozo follows the serpent's trail over hills, valleys and all of that sort of stuff

Nunabozo comes to the shore of a creepy lake!
    Nunabozo sees his cousion with the great serpent and all of the great serpents creppy friends(the physical description for the great serpent was every color and every hue with a red head and a flamming eye....)

Nunabozo decides to take revenge for the death of his cousion.
    Nunabozo commands the clouds to go away the sun to shine and the winds to stop blowing, so as to force the great serpent to the surface.

Nunabozo turns himself into a treestump and awaits the great serpent.
    When the great serpent surfaces and rests among the cool trees, Nunabozo fires his arrow through its heart.

The great serpent begins to die
    The great serpent returns to his lake and in his rage tears the body of Nunabozo's cousion into pieces, her lungs float to the surface( in this case her doll stuffing floats to the surface)

The great serpent floods the world as it dies.... its really mad
    Nunabozo remembers his indian children, he runs and gathers them and leads them to the top of the greatest mountian.

Nunabozo some animals and all of his people are rescued by the raft Nunabozo builds for them... they float until the flood passes, and then all is well again.
    And the Plumbery dragon plays chess with the great serpent.... after the shoot~ not sure where Nunabozo got off to.

Steph! thanks so much for that link.... never seen that fellow's work before and well he is just perfect, I'll have to actually go into the school library and look for something of his..... and again on the pen tip, I'll check with the shady asain fellows next time I'm in Japan town in SF~

Penciler~Its not a bad class..... just ugh! I'll try not to be to critical, but with all of the various skills that we need to get very good at in a super short amount of time, couldn't acting and motion maybe just maybe be made a technical option and than I could swap it out with like illustration, or scripting or something a bit more marketable? Only so much I can teach myself over any given time span~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new storyboard sketches....this is harder then usual, I'm not sure what this character should look like, really wishing I had selected another topic at this point....

heads for it

background figure sketches

every character in every work needs some Anime and bigboots or else your not an AiS student....

my copy of Durer's work on the topic... dunno how to put this together, but I'm sure I'll doodle something out by the time it is due

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Grudge--these are really nice. I love your lines and the dynamics of your figures. Even when they are in a static position, the way your draw them seemes to imply motion. I don't know a lot about animation, so I don't know where to offer crits. I will say that I had a difficult time figuring out what the guy in the first frame was doing. The Jesus drawings are really cool--I'd love to see more of them.

T.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More of this project....
    studies of some priestly types

some constructed Judas, a few doodled out scenes and whatnots

some of the more promising early boards for this....

1.some gore
    2.judas hangs himself

1.let his blood be on us and our.....
    2.I wish I had just done the whole thing in this style....

1.I am innocent of this man's blood...
    2. I so so badly want this one to work out , but I just don't know, may have to chuck this board.

Tom~!Thanks for the kind words... as for animation, well~ as near as I can tell none of us, will ever ever be working in 2D animation around here ever, or so the instructors tell us day in and day out so... really its all just stylized illustration, and instructions for some other bunch of actual animators somewhere else in the world, or maybe for some 3D types in the next room.
    I'm guessing your picking on the boy and girl marker story.... yah~ I really have no brush control with ink on it, I cried as I did those, and lots more once I was done with them, I doubt I will every but india ink on a sable brush again~

As always crit comment or just poke fun at if you like, I'm still working with this set of boards so your feedback would be extra specially usefull!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been having a bad day in figure drawing class and the workshops all quarter, I'm at least a bit happier with today's nudes.....

Since I liked how these worked out, I made a note of my workflow as I did them... which hopefully I'll follow in the future!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still digging the Jesus line of drawings you have going. Can you tell us any details about this project? Is it going to be animated?

Lovin' those nudes. There is just something about your lines, the curves, the exaggeration of the angles that really catches my eye. They remind me of something (an illustrator, perhaps?), but I can't quite put my finger on it. Whatever it is, it lends them an old-fashioned illustration sort of feel.

Anyway, keep it up!

T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

intro to 2d modeling final(p51D).... I'm sad about this one beacuse I suspect the base model is at the end of its life, I think the only way to advance it is to start over and build a new one.... break from school soon, so I will sink time into that....

a personal one... I wish there was more time to paint!(reposted from the crit section)

Tom~ the storyboard jesus thing was the storyboarding class final, it was 20boards in either marker or graphite, I used graphite for all of them. As for actually animating something of that big a scope....its not required and just wouldn't be possible to produce anything except really really rough pencil tests, if I had no other projects for the rest of my time at the school! I would post them and will when I get them back, but for now the instructor has them for possible display at the school. Which is a good and bad thing to me... If I had them posted here I would keep looking at them and I know I would start to see new things in them that I hate. But its always nice to have someone say, nice work I think I'll hang them on the fridge!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I had forgotten about this one.... it was one of like 2 useful things to come out of acting and motion class, a study of motion arcs. If the instructor had just done this for the 44 hours of the class....I suspect I would have learned quite a bit. The human body in motion is amazing, sadly no timing marks here she moved with a constant rate, mostly so as to allow us to produce readable images. Really a great exercise, but sadly the rest of the class sessions were mostly filled with useless stuff, useless in that if I can't translate the motion or emotions into something on paper or a model... wtf am I going to do with it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last final completed and shown, so we can just waste some time doodling in a deranged fashion.... relaxing even if it is a bit pointless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder about posting actual animation stuffs here.... I'll try putfile out, someone let me know if it isn't working or what not, please!?

Click here to watch stickwalkcycle
    should be ... just what its called! stick man walk cycle

Click here to watch Untitled5676
    not sure about this one.... its rather large, should be a platform bounce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    working lots on this break, the paying kind of work and drinking lots...
    some sketches of people around working.. doing what consumers do, and some marker rendring pratice, I really struggle with markers

some constructive cartoons, anatomy pratice... this goes on for like 4 pages, I'll spare you the details and just post this one!

right... off to drink some more~!
    crit them, poke fun at them or whatever you like~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grudge, a few words from a fellow animation student if i may. First off, the teachers here say the same thing about 2d animation being a dying art and that 3d is what you need to be studying. To that i say BULLSHIT!! First off this years Oscar for short animation was won by 2d. It beat out all the bigshots and thier fancy 3d stuff.
    Secondly they've been saying the same about comics for over a decade and now the indie market is starting to take off because no one was tapping the market like it could be. Think of all the stories that there are yet to be told that YOU CAN DRAW and YOU CAN ANIMATE in any way you so choose.
    By the way i really like how large you draw your people. Espacially the women. I get tired of seing stick women. Good job! Kepp it up!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More people running around buying things and whatnot... around where I work.
    I mean, every instructor says that walks define character to some degree, and its true. Although I haven't really captured it all that well here That big lady was just storming along... the youngish lady hugging her self so hard I can only assume she is in love, and that workman type fellow.... either stoned or in a perment daze.....

Penciler~ I know that you are correct about 2D animation, I mean... although I'm afraid to admit it, Anything that Miyazaki does is superior to the best that Pixar can summon up. But this school and yours as well are so so very expensive.....I can't ignore what the instructors say will allow me to repay the loans, so I will develop my 3D skills even if I don't like the end product and even if I feel that the time spent working in 3D would be better spent with a pencil. And glad you like the rounded forms... I can't seem to put "stick-women" together correctly they look offensive when I try!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    classes start again today... so just some constructive cartoons and random things from the morning.

And those 2 wonky skeletons... I met someone who said they had no space between their ribs and pelvis, which I thought was odd. I mean where would your external oblique go? how would you bend and rotate. This person can bend and rotate in real life, I've seens it happen, but she swore her doctor insisted she had almost no space between those two structures. Its a little creepy thinking about it.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grudge (and you too, Penciller), God bless you for sticking with the 2d animation. As a huge fan of classic styles, I'm disgusted by this new push to computerize my cartoons. I'm so glad that there are a couple of throwbacks out there who still appreciate the down-n-dirty, organic presentation that is tw-D animation. I know that you can't ignore your instructors, Grudge, but don't lose that drive to produce animation the old fashioned way. It'd be a shame.

As usual, it was a pleasure perusing your collection. The double-page spread of your sketchbook was particularly interesting. My computer is running s-l-o-w right now, so I'm going to pop back after I clean it up a bit so that I can watch the animated material you posted.

Keep it up.

T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pratice painting...photo for poses, can't make out the detail of the light in the photos so tones constructed mostly

Tom~ thanks for the inspiring coments and the reminder that some people do like 2D animation, and they aren't all 60 years old and European or Asian.
    .. Crit, comment, or whatever you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    head construction and pencil render pratice...+doodles I lack an attention span

One of the big crits I get at school is often about presentation... so I'll slap some digital paint on one of those heads crop it, and call it neatly presented....(actually I hate photoshop and if I don't post it here I'll never look at it again, so... in this way I'm forced to think about using the tools)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Penciler! I really liked your dude on the bumpy bus sketch~ I mean, the idea just stuck with me and I worked from your notes, hope you don't mind

local hue, body type and character odds and end sketch

location, setting and the little bump, to muddy, to much wet in wet painting

big bump exageration, simplier painting much cleaner read
    anyway~ hope you don't mind me borrowing your character for paint and development pratice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think doing ALOT of anatomy studies is going to help you the most. Bridgeman and Loomis are good artists to work from. It seems like you need work with youre line control. Study how the contours change over the human form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cateaic~ thanks for the reminder to study Bridgeman's works. He has so much to offer and there is a lot of it that although I can understand it I just can't impliment it. Bridgeman's deeper understanding of the human machine provides a system of construction that, really I often can't make the marks to support. In any event your comment did move me back to reading his works and refocused me on struggling with his various rules and assertions~
    about Loomis though, its sad and strange that his works are out of print, which really is silly.

life drawing class

same pose...

second pose

second pose again

All for Bill Cumming's class, his big painting and drawing advice for the day is... Go home get drunk, paint if you feel like it, don't get pregnent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new drawing instructor this quarter, and I love him... I think I will just take this same class for all of the rest of the quarters that I am at this school. Anyway he wants 30 pages of sketchbook something a week, its openish as to what that something is, so most of mine will be Bridgeman/other dead constructive anatomy types studies....

scapula... infra,tres,tricep

scapula,biceps,triceps,humerus,and so on...

mastoid, trapez,and what not..

all Bridgeman's full figures

glutes, and whatnots...

too wasted to do any more.. so some Bridgeman heads

In additon to the 30 pages he wants one fully done something or other every 2 weeks .. this one is to develop a gesture into a line weight only illustration type thing, these are the rough mass drawings from my gesture. I think , I'm pretty sure I'll do that standing pose, but I have to work out which leg has the weight on it... and correct the hip placement in response. and the hands... need to be layed out and corrected.
    right... so feel free to Crit, just comment or make fun of if you like~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more anatomy studies, mostly Bridgeman's

various sources

all Bridgeman's

model session

same model

more of the gesture development~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The final reconstructed gesture drawing....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.