Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ConceptartCohesion #001: 8th Day

ConceptartCohesion #001: 8th Day

Conceptart Cohesion - #001 8th Day

Storyline:

The year 2446 CE

Mankind and its technology have advanced at an exponential rate, however trivial political, religious and social demands have caused the splintering of former superpowers into smaller nation states, pitting themselves against each in a number of minor conflicts.

Since 2395 a minimum of 27 conflicts, hostile incursions and border disputes have been raging in various confined areas across the planets surface, sparking a new global economy.
    Covenants of major corporations have banded together in various factions and are now the true international players, feeding the ever increasing demand of new weapons technology.
    The change in style of warfare has rendered weapons of mass destruction virtually useless increasing an appetite for more unconventional weapon systems, specifically the VidaNova Corporations newest developments in the field of creating new species of animals bred for specific purposes.

The idea behind this new move is too harness the animals natural intelligence, sensory abilities, and ability to traverse difficult terrain. They are currently working on models for civilian implementation, ranging from beasts of burden for remote areas to leisure models as pets. However there have been worrying reports of certain products escaping from captivity, and having unexpected effects on the flora and fauna they interact with, conspiracy theorists place blame on a huge range of subjects, ranging from the Cytarabinoside used in manipulating metabolic pathways in the animals, to mother earth resting control back from humanity to satan himself.
    Some minor political and religious groups are already rallying, trying to bring this series of unnerving events to the public eye, wild rumors and conspiracy theories are already calling this the 8th day of creation.

Subtopics for the weeklies:

EOW
    - Environment Of The Week

VidaNova Corporation - Genetics and Biological Materials Department - Site C
    Somewhere along latitude 14° South, this large isolated facility of the VidaNova Corporation Houses several small but vital research, development and construction departments. Intelligence suggests they have recently made large strides in the fields of tissue synthesis and behavioral adjustment of their products.
    Visual reports describe massive, and entirely self sufficient architecture, housing at least 300 hundred employees including support personnel, Vehicles, holding pens and the suggestion of a large underground tunnel complex.
    LINK: EOW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

Mystical Cavern Temple ProNatura
    Abuse and contempt of mother nature lead the way for ProNatura - a group of people who denounce the reprobate behaviour of VidaNova and the likes of them. This peaceful and reasonable group lives reclusively in hidden places like in huge caverns, arctic wastelands etc.
    The most popular base of this group is the Mystical Cavern Temple. A very huge cave with an amazingly beautiful and mystical temple built in. The temple offers unequaled opportunities and is called the 8th wonder of the world, with a certain allusion to the fateful term of the 8th day.
    The architecture and lighting atmosphere of this place describes the wonderful relation of the inhabitants to mother nature and their will of getting back to the roots while rejecting all kind of violence and abuse against nature.
    LINK: EOW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

IDW - Industrial Design Of The Week

Mother Machine -The Birthplace and nurturer of all the genetic childern. Mother Machine is responsible for the caring, hatching and growth of all breeds. A mammoth of size and a true marvel of technological feats. Mother Machine, is a true vision to stand before. While Mother Machine is stationary(non-mobile), she does have defensive measures; such as automated turrets and threat sensors.
    LINK: IDW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

Genetic Soldier Transport -The Genetic Soldiers built by the Mother Machine are transported by AI-Controlled transports. The Transport carrys up to 24 soldiers and speeds up to 60mph. The transport has no proper defenses. The Ai has been programed to say as close to the ground to avoid being seen by enemies.
    The Transports are built in mass, and the blueprints are often improved overtime by FATHER Machine.
    LINK: IDW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

ChOW - Character Of The Week

Leader of the Special Unit Jungle Force - specialized on hunting down escaped and mutated creatures. These guys are called when there is trouble with escaped creatures preventing attacks and damage caused by them. We need a charismatic leader, strong-willed, professional and cold-blooded - one who will survive in the jungle and accomplishes his mission under any circumstances. Of course he must be presented in the special units battle dress.
    LINK: ChOW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

"The Head" - Chief of VidaNova - "The Head" is the founder and chief of The VidaNova Corporation. This man had a high position in the army of one of the leading states. He was known for his merciless command and for despising countries hostile to his own. His hate and cruelty made him a much sought-after target for the adverse military but also even inside his own ranks.
    It wasn't a big surprise when he was a victim of an assassionation attempt. He survived the assassination, but some areas of his body were mutilated and deformed and could only be recovered by bionic technology. After this radical experience, he lost his position in the army, but due to his good connections got a high position in a different section of the military. He worked as a high ranked consultant in the research division for alternate military resources.
    Reflecting his own life-story to the military area he was fascinated by the idea of military units which are partially organic and partially technological. The succes of the first resulting military units and his pertinacity and ambition made him the leader of the research division. With the achieved power and success he was able to gain independence for the institute, which resulted in founding VidaNova Corporation.
    LINK: ChOW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

COW - Creature Of The Week

Mounted predator for hunters - A creature made by scientists by mixing genes of existing and extinct animals...there are also some mechanical/technical parts implemented in the predators organism. The predator must be able to be mounted and is carnivore, making him a living and very aggressive killer machine. We need to see something like a saddle, where the hunters can sit on, but you don't need to draw the hunter himself. The creatures full body must be seen.
    LINK: COW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

Giant Suicide Digger - Difficult terrain made it very hard or even impossible to reach military targets which are hidden in dense jungles or high mountains. As an alternate to the obvious units attacking from the air scientists created a new species which is a result of cross breeding different species with ability to dig their way through the ground. By manipulating special genes they created a huge creature which is optimized on seeking elektro magnetic signals...
    The defensive structures of the strategical buildings are producing electro magnetic signals in operational mode, which is an indication of the enemy buildings position. The Suicide Diggers are genetically programmed to search for this kind of signals and follow them with fatal certainty until they find the source. When they have found the source they dig up to the surface. Inside the creatures built in technology parts are programmed to detonate in a devastating explosion when breaking through the surface, resulting in a total demolition of the targeted object and the digger creature itself of course.
    The loss of a highly developed creature seems high, but is very small compared to the destruction of a military target.
    LINK: COW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO

- you can enter one or more weeklies

- follow the links to get to the proper weekly threads

- use this thread for c&c or questions regarding this campaign

Last edited by Fozzybar; March 9th, 2006 at 07:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Orion, just post whatever you want to say...it's the common thread for the campaign, so it's the right place!

We want to have a nice discussion and see all the reactions for this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Foz -

I originally posted this:

Hooly crap!

This is awesome!

Will all of the community activities be this way every week? (I remember Foz mentioning that they'll return back to normal after this concept cohesion?) I don't know about others, but I think it might be cool to keep them linked like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think there are 2 possibilities:

1. weeklies continue like now and another campaign will be set up somewhere in future

2. the next week will be the same campaign with the same story and world but with other subtopics for the weeklies (i really want to see some bastards evolved from wild and domesticated beasts)

But i don't think we will take this as a continuous framework, because it's really time consuming to organize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if we decide to enter two of the topics, can they share a single image, such as the SpecUnit leader mounted on or standing next to his "steed"?

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After reading the backstory, so many images are filling my head. This is going to be truely awesome for everyone who participates. I now know that I HAVE to make time to enter at least one category, not only to practice and push myself creatively, but just to say I participated along with the big guns.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by masque
    if we decide to enter two of the topics, can they share a single image, such as the SpecUnit leader mounted on or standing next to his "steed"?
    No! The Leader has no relation to the mounted creature...we deliberately decided to separate especially COW and ChOW...for each activity one image standing for its own.

The reason is simple: We will make a show-off with the winner entries and a little more, so if we have a COW image with the jungle leader in it, but the leader of the winner piece in ChOW looks different, we will have confusing and dissonant results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    No! The Leader has no relation to the mounted creature...we deliberately decided to separate especially COW and ChOW...for each activity one image standing for its own.
    Okey doke, i guess i was confuzzed by the predator being the hunters' mount and the Leader specializing in hunting down the escaped mutations, seemed like a natural connection between the two. i see the need for separate art for separate topics, though. thanks for clarifying that. this is gonna be lotsa interesting!

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to say this.

WE ARE FUCKED!

Good luck everyone.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kind of like the idea of running with the same world concept for a couple of weeks. You know; it seems like such a shame to come up with it and then just ditching the whole idea after a week, while there could come some real interesting stuff out of it if you let people's brains cook on the concept a while longer. That's just my idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    walnut
    Super-Bowl is once a year only for a few hours, but everyone looks forward to it...but we will see how the season turns out, so overtime is always possible...

Zeitwolf
    I added the deadline...thanx, tempo lupis...or whatever

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hell, every single topic of these 4 is totally bada$$!!
    You admins did a great job!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FOZZ
    i think there are 2 possibilities:

1. weeklies continue like now and another campaign will be set up somewhere in future

2. the next week will be the same campaign with the same story and world but with other subtopics for the weeklies (i really want to see some bastards evolved from wild and domesticated beasts)

But i don't think we will take this as a continuous framework, because it's really time consuming to organize.
    I think, second option is more interesting. It can make the WORLD more real. More creatures, more characters…more real. If I can suggest something, maybe you should choose [if it’s possible] different environments. Now we have some “jungle/earth”, maybe next topic can be placed in “water” or “air”? What do you think Fozzy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this idea is so cool, it finaly brought me out of lurking!

I completely agree with JakkaS. Not only could option #2 be more fun, but a month of exploring different concepts and environments each week could produce a more dynamic and coherent world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JakkaS
    I think, second option is more interesting. It can make the WORLD more real. More creatures, more characters…more real. If I can suggest something, maybe you should choose [if it’s possible] different environments. Now we have some “jungle/earth”, maybe next topic can be placed in “water” or “air”? What do you think Fozzy?
    well, it sounds very interesting JakkaS, we will consider it and indeed it's a nice idea to have different settings for the rounds...it makes the world more....real

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    forgot to mention this:

THANK YOU TO MIKECORRIERO, emily g, Oregano, davi and Red Rook...all of them helped to get this baby out of its mother...don't ask who the mother is and especially not about the father...

I hope i didn't forget someone...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lets see if we can produce some respektable Enviros for you guys!

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally great concept to link all of the weeklies together. I think it will give some of the amazing art generated some deserved extra exposure. PUtting all the weeklies into a home give peeps a chance to click into the events easier from one place so they are more likely to visit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, but it's temporary, don't get it wrong people...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like the storyline to serve as a catalyst to a solid pie and throw it in one pot. I don't wanna slice it up and share my goodies with the subs. ALL MINE!

Previously, in another thread, not more than a click away, MegaData has posed the following questions:

COW : Is it okay if the head of the creature is not based on a carnivore? It seems to me like that's more of an internal thing, unless the illustration shows the creature with it's mouth open.

ChOW : So, these have to be humanoid, even though the rules only suggested it be humanoid by calling it a "character of the week" instead of "creature?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MegaData

ChOW: we are talking about humans, yes!

COW: you don't need to amke the head of the creature based on a carnivore, but as written make the creature itself carnivore...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am gathering that this will have at least a few itinerations in it. If so, will design cohesion be forced? Or will each style be random... I mean, shouldn't we have a thread that collects all the winning designs so a style is slowly created? This will limit creativity, but also add in real-world constraints... just my thoughts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we will gather the winners, but i don't care about the style at the moment, because the main thing is to let the creative juices flow...and just have fun at the moment...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Fozzy.

As for the Character, I think it's weird that they would differentiate themselves from animals, noting the possibilities thier own experimentation could achieve. I mean, as far as battle scout leaders are concerned, I don't think they'd be recognizable as humans anymore... maybe similar, but more of a mutant. It is possible I went and gave this whole concept too much thought. Oh well... good thing there are four ways to look at this. 8)

At least the carnivore attribute helped me decide what implant(s) to use on the Creature of the Week. I'll be doing that one for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know if this has been suggested yet but maybe make the linked thing a monthly occurence. Basically 3 out of the four weeks in a month are normal weekly stuff, and the final week is all linked topics.

But still, I'm exited to see everything that will come out of this and hope to find the time to join in with the fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I probably should've asked these questions a bit earlier, but is sculpture allowed and what time on Sunday (include time zone) is the deadline?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the deadline is sunday, no matter where you live...because we will close the threads monday...so get sure to have your entries up to sunday 11:59 pm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MegaData
    A sculpture is not allowed for the poll...we can't judge the results properly when the medium is different...but you can post images of your sculpture in this thread to show what you have done...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's okay. I'm chatting with my wife and it's almost midnight so... I won't have time for an update by the deadline. I sleep during the daylight hours too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.