ConceptartCohesion #001: 8th Day >>> COW - Mounted Predator For Hunters

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow ConceptartCohesion #001: 8th Day >>> COW - Mounted Predator For Hunters

ConceptartCohesion #001: 8th Day

Storyline:

The year 2446 CE

Mankind and its technology have advanced at an exponential rate, however trivial political, religious and social demands have caused the splintering of former superpowers into smaller nation states, pitting themselves against each in a number of minor conflicts.

Since 2395 a minimum of 27 conflicts, hostile incursions and border disputes have been raging in various confined areas across the planets surface, sparking a new global economy.
    Covenants of major corporations have banded together in various factions and are now the true international players, feeding the ever increasing demand of new weapons technology.
    The change in style of warfare has rendered weapons of mass destruction virtually useless increasing an appetite for more unconventional weapon systems, specifically the VidaNova Corporations newest developments in the field of creating new species of animals bred for specific purposes.

The idea behind this new move is too harness the animals natural intelligence, sensory abilities, and ability to traverse difficult terrain. They are currently working on models for civilian implementation, ranging from beasts of burden for remote areas to leisure models as pets. However there have been worrying reports of certain products escaping from captivity, and having unexpected effects on the flora and fauna they interact with, conspiracy theorists place blame on a huge range of subjects, ranging from the Cytarabinoside used in manipulating metabolic pathways in the animals, to mother earth resting control back from humanity to satan himself.
    Some minor political and religious groups are already rallying, trying to bring this series of unnerving events to the public eye, wild rumors and conspiracy theories are already calling this the 8th day of creation.

Topic:
    Mounted Predator For Hunters

Description:
    Mounted predator for hunters - A creature made by scientists by mixing genes of existing and extinct animals...there are also some mechanical/technical parts implemented in the predators organism. The predator must be able to be mounted and is carnivore, making him a living and very aggressive killer machine. We need to see something like a saddle, where the hunters can sit on, but you don't need to draw the hunter himself. The creatures full body must be seen.

Deadline:
    Sunday, 05th March 2006

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Linked weekly activities:

EOW
    - Environment Of The Week
    VidaNova Corporation - Genetics and Biological Materials Department - Site C
    LINK: EOW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

IDW - Industrial Design Of The Week
    Mother Machine
    LINK: IDW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

ChOW - Character Of The Week
    Leader of the Special Unit Jungle Force
    LINK: ChOW thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

Link to the campaigns main thread:
    main thread for ConceptartCohesion campaign

Last edited by Fozzybar; February 26th, 2006 at 01:41 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this has the potential to be crazy amazing. i am excited to see everyone's world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At last! This was excellent idea to combine these four activities!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hooly crap!

This is awesome!

Will all of the community activities be this way every week? (I remember Foz mentioning that they'll return back to normal after this concept cohesion?) I don't know about others, but I think it might be cool to keep them linked like this.

(I posted this in the original thread, but it seems this one might get more traffic?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ......damn...that's all I can say. I mean I was excited but now I've got so many ideas spinning through my head I won't be able to sleep at night. How the hell can one decide between these 4 awesome topics? There's no way you could do all of them in one week and have each piece be up to the high standards set down by previous weekly activities. In between Mounted Predator and Mother Machine it's gonna be a tough decision. I'm really ecstatic to see what people come up with though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just do as much as you can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very well put together story Foz-I see it slightly evolved from when we discussed it looking great. I hope I have the time to participate, figures that work has come in now. damnit lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The story is rewritten by Rook, all props to him My english is too poor to phrase a story like this...

Last edited by Fozzybar; February 26th, 2006 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, all props due to Rook and Fozzy. I gave it a little thought over the last hour or so and I'd almost like to see what someone could do if they were required to incorporate all 4 into a piece somehow or fit a couple into two pieces. Probably a little too much to work with, coming up with an original creature design and then also a background depicting the facility that meshes well with the creature. But still I know I'm not the only one who struggles with what to place in the background of creature designs. In this case you could use the Genetics Lab as a backdrop or even Mother Machine. Hell if you wanted you could have the Special Jungle Unit Leader riding the Mounted Predator in front of the Genetics Lab. It'd be a cool way to tie it all in as I worry that some entries won't give much thought to the backstory and will just throw out some amalgamation of current/extinct animal. Eh, just food for thought to whoever is getting those synapses firing on this undertaking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    . Hell if you wanted you could have the Special Jungle Unit Leader riding the Mounted Predator in front of the Genetics Lab.
    ...and that brings up a question - if you were to combine 2 entries, as in the Special Jungle Unit Leader riding the Mounted Predator, can you submit the piece for both activities? I'm sure there are other 2-activity combinations that wouldn't work as well, but it certainly seems plausible to fit both of those into one piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I thought for a sec that i would enter this one, and began making a quick sketch, but i realized I was drawing a Jurassic Park Velociraptor with metal legs, so I left it alone in the trash can.... man, do I suck...

Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame
    -Albert Einstein-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are the words of a quitter Thoras. Don't give up, this project has way too much potential to toss it aside simply because you don't like attempt number one that you came up with. Consider a few things next time you try to come up with a creature. What are some of the deadliest predators of past ages? What are some of the most vicious current day predators? It hunts other creatures so it has to be a beast of considerable speed. What are some fast predators? What makes them fast? How could futuristic technology enchance that speed? How does it take down prey? Talons, venoms, fangs, spines, tangling whips....the possibilities are endless for this thing. The point is that a creature illustration is only as good as the concept behind it. Thoras I expect to see your creature, don't disappoint me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hwango
    ...and that brings up a question - if you were to combine 2 entries, as in the Special Jungle Unit Leader riding the Mounted Predator, can you submit the piece for both activities? I'm sure there are other 2-activity combinations that wouldn't work as well, but it certainly seems plausible to fit both of those into one piece.
    Why not design both individually, as well as an illustration of them both together, then submit each individual design to their corresponding activities with the combined illustration as well. It would be more interesting and clearer that way and it wouldn't look like you submitted 1 image for 2 activities

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 image standing for its own for each activity...no collages of two or more topics...

The reason is simple: We will make a show-off with the winner entries and a little more, so if we have a COW image with the jungle leader in it, but the leader of the winner piece in ChOW looks different, we will have confusing and dissonant results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nexus

Thanks for the encouraging words, man; I've got quite enough ideas for the beast, but the fact is, if you can keep the secret (I CANNOT DRAW A DAMN THING) but, I' ll make an effort to draw something decent, at least. The ocassion deserves it.
    By the by, if i DO enter, I think I'll stick to my raptor thingy.

Last edited by Thoras; February 26th, 2006 at 08:17 PM.
    -Albert Einstein-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We are all over critical of our own work, Thoras. The only way to get better is to continue trying. Groups like this are what make us better. The fact that you are here shows a desire. Raptors are kick ass, I cant wait to see it.

As for a question I have of the topic: Does it have to be a single man mount or can it be multiple, like a troop transport or juggernaut?

Last edited by Hookswords; February 26th, 2006 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT:

Final on page 4.

Last edited by Althael; March 5th, 2006 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its....its....an Ubersaurus. Mightiest of all the dinosaurs. Ok as fun as that was, now down to business. Where are the hyrdraulic jaw systems? Where are the cybernetic eyes? Where are the electronic boosting pistons? If this thing actually has extensive biomech implants, lets see some evidence of them. Something as drastic as pistons would show up in the structure of the legs, as it stands now I just see normal tyrannosaur legs. Also while were on the subject of legs, it couldn't possibly run on all fours like a gorilla. Its back legs have avian knee joints, they bend inwards. Another thing to consider, what powers all these large enhancing mechanical systems? What power source do they derive energy from? In addition, you might want to rethink the color scheme. Ok, yes its reptilian and yes alot of scalies out there are green but there are so many that are not. Green is almost a cliche' color in terms of lizards and such. Also make sure to determine your light source ahead of time. Ok I know that was alot to take in and Im not trying to tear the thing apart, just make it a stronger piece. Now on a good note. It has some good things going for it. The ideas behind it are well thought out and could be the backbone to something outstanding. The rendering thus far seems solid enough. If you do decide to rework it really take some time to consider a dynamic position, thrashing through the forest at breakneck speed or crouching tensely waiting to pounce from the foliage, something like that. Hope this helped and I hope I wasn't too knit picky.

Last edited by Nexus; February 27th, 2006 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the new title thing going on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Gavreau : Named after Dr. Vladimir Gavreau. One of the pioneers of Infrasonic weaponry

It is the splicing of an eagle, a tiger and an elephant. It was desired that the predatory base of the eagle and tiger be maintained externally while the elephant useage was completely redesigned. Elephant genes/ body mechanics were reworked internally to work in conjunction with the cybernetics. The basis behind the trunk structure of the elephant was used inside the body and extending through the tail. It provides additional oxygen for the body as well as serving as a weapon. Elephants communicate infrasonically, below the human hearing range. This ability, when amplified by the cybernetics can be used as a destructive force. This force can be moderated to a low level brown noise to make its opponents feel ill and become iincapacitated, ranging to a very high level to actually break through/down matter. The amplifiers extend through the arms to the front paws for this extreme use, while the amps around the head serve for all other use (in a 180 degree arc) under that extreme range. Due to the nature of this weapon the rider must wear a special helmet to protect himself from the effects. The spikes on top of the head hold the hardware that allows interface via the riders helmet for control.

Last edited by Hookswords; March 4th, 2006 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hookswords,
    I really dig the octo-unit design. It captures the audicity of the topic "corporate manipulation of the animal kindom for the use of millitary opperations". I'd like to see it popping out of the water violently, maybe grabbing onto something with it's tentacles. It would be cool if it was much scarier looking. Idunno if it needs teeth or spikes ot something but perhaps if it were re-drawn in a much more dynamic perspective that would do it alone.
    great original start.
    -fultron

Critiques and overpaints of my work are both welcome and encouraged, as I am fairly new to the art of sketching.
    visit my sketchbook http://http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63709
    and my art page http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/thefultron/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, you're right the first one does seem a bit trite, vey griffon like. But the second one isn't really all that interesting either....its a big octopus. It hasn't been combined with anything. Why not take idea one and idea two and merge them? Id love to see a winged thing with tentacles, stealth capabilities, long range sniper rifle and mech limbs...and of course gatling cannon. Make it truly an abberation of science, a blight upon nature's design. Both octopi and birds have beaks so theyre similar in that capacity but other than that theyre completely opposite. Which is why it would be an interesting challenge to merge the two. Anyways, all that aside, you're really gonna have to wrack your brain on this one. It's gonna be some stiff competition with such a good topic to work from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NOTE TO ALL
    Just want to add, that you shouldn't only focus on a design which is obviously a mix between existing and extincted creatures. Take also a little portion mutation and creatures evolved from mixed genes can look slightly different than only a few parts of the parents mixed...just trying to open some gates for you, so that you don't stick to the dino-look too much...

for example, you could do a design like the Alien from Giger. There is nothing which indicates dinos or a species of existing animals, because it has no obvious visual parts for that, but still it could be a mix between an extinct animal and for example a shark and hynea genes...and the technological part is also shown

Break out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    1 image standing for its own for each activity...no collages of two or more topics...

The reason is simple: We will make a show-off with the winner entries and a little more, so if we have a COW image with the jungle leader in it, but the leader of the winner piece in ChOW looks different, we will have confusing and dissonant results.
    Does that mean not only that we shouldn't enter 1 piece for 2 activities, but that we're actively discouraged from drawing any kind of rider in this piece?

EDIT - Never mind, just found the Cohesion thread where this is answered. I didn't realize that the CHOW and rider for the COW were two totally different people, so this isn't an issue.

Last edited by hwango; February 27th, 2006 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nexus-
    That's only the first 'step' of it.
    The eyes and pistons things are going to be added later.

The mechanical enhancement are generated by his body. The pistons in his legs/arms are generated by his neural system. While the pistons in his mouth 'might' be generated by a second heart in his head.
    For running like a gorilla, well, that's the first idea I had. Now that I think about it again, it doesn't really work.

Oh, and don't worry, I'll change the green too.
    Though, for the light source.. I'll have to work on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First sketch/idea..

Last edited by PinUpsEu; February 28th, 2006 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What strikes me most is that it doesn't look really carnivore with that head... Might want to add something or change it?

But it's a nice concept!

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello,

this be my final entry.. bit mingled with aquatic live form. crap scorpian and dogs and big cats.. aggresive and poisonous it attacks with its tail. any victims immediatly sedated. its back bone has mechanical implants as well as tail to help it's flexibility when attacking with tail.

Last edited by W!L; March 4th, 2006 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINAL

CODE-NAME:MOUNTED SALASH
    PROJECT NUMER: 2446-90/2
    LEADING SCIENTIST: DOCTOR JEREMIASH SOO
    ASSISTANT: DOCTOR CASANDRA WISHTON
    -------------------
    PROJECT STATUS: IN PROGRESS
    BUDGET: 340.800 CALI'BOS
    FINISH PREDICTION: NINE STANDARD MONTHS
    --------------------
    ----[MORE INFO]----
    --------------------

PROJECT GOALS: BIOENGINEERICAL UPGRADED CREATURE FOR CATCHING AND CARRING SMALL ANIMALS
    -------------------
    SHORT SUMMARY:
    After two years of research, we have gained success. Our creature is in final stage of creation. We have almost solved all problems we had in this project. The only thing, that is not acceptable by our supervising officer, General Sul Weave'r, is the speed of our creature. But we are working on this. We have also made a few upgrades to make Sarash more predictable and easy to control...

SEARCHING:
    As a result of genetic engineering and computer technologies usage, we have made Sarash able to sense small creatures even from 5-10 kilometers and to see them from distance 50-100 meters, no matter it is a day or night.
    SMELL DETECTOR:
    After genetic manipulation and adding small prototype of microcomputer [SNV-M-CHIP-ZTH2008/BETA], we have made our creature able to record all of smell they taste in their environment. Therefore, when they sniff out an animal, they never lose the track. We have connected smell sensor to the driver, so he can see surroundings in "smell spectrum".
    EYES UPGRADE:
    Natural ability of snake-like creatures are the skill of infra-red vision. We have upgraded this ability and connected to the driver, so he is able to see as well as his creature.

CATCHING:
    TONGUE [genetic material and samples taken form Kanaka's Lizard - small lizard with over 2 meters long tongue] - after genetic manipulation we have added a few meters tongue to our creation. Salash can catch creatures from 5-7 meters. We have also added some paralyzing toxins into Salash's saliva.
    PHEROMONES DISTRIBUTOR: - - - - STILL TESTING - - - -
    We have added possibility to create and spread the pheromones of all cataloged and examined animals from this planet - We can easily update the database of smells. [--- 77% of examined animals have followed the pheromones smell ---]

HOLDING:

We have added a few ventricles for carrying catched creatures. These chambers are made of organical plastic called ORGAPLAST. [Because of this modification, we have moved stomach and other organs to the front of the creature. There were problems with digestion.] When Salash is carrying an animal, produces paralyzing gas to make the animal senseless.

SADDLE:
    Genetic modification of Salash's skull gave as a place where we have plugged the saddle.

SPINE, BODY AND HEAD UPGRADES:
    WE have added some upgrades to make the bones ad skin more resistant. We have built up this parts with ORGAPLAST.

ORGAPLAST:
    This material is phenomenal! You can program it and plug it to the salash's embryo. The material grows up and evolves with the subject.
    --------------------
    ----[MORE INFO]----
    --------------------

Last edited by JakkaS; March 5th, 2006 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to ya'll; but... after seeing this ass-kikin entries... well... I threw my raptor to the trash again. I think i?ll watch the Jurassic Park Trilogy again for more ideas, maybe a breed between the mighty Spinosaurus Aegypticus and the ferocity of a Raptor.
    Anyways, i'll keep on trying.

-Albert Einstein-

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1