Art: scifi movie concepts (big DL)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: scifi movie concepts (big DL)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

scifi movie concepts (big DL)

Heya!

Finally I have the chance to share some non NDA-stuff I made.

The stuff I contributed is for a German SciFi film project called "Mars" (working title). Its a pretty ambitious independent project thats currently in the planning stages.

A lotta talented people I know have been asked to produce some concepts in their spare time (its a labour of love so far) to impress potential investors and I couldnt resist to do some stuff myself (I always snuck in an hour or two between my paid work to work on that stuff).

One of the reasons I was exited to join this gig was the involvement of designer Luigi Colani, who joined the project just for the fun of it.

My task was the design of the 2 main characters survival suits (gambeson- and armour layer), a space helmet and an alien mask for actor Mathis Landwehr. This task partly has proven to be a tough one, since we all had the order to adapt our concepts to the style of Colani...

anyways.. here's the stuff:

battlesuits (the male one had to look worn-out and partly self made, the female one is suppoded to be incoplete)

for a high res version, click here

the helmet (actually the one design that fits colani's style to a certain extent)

the mask design (the first one was refused, both are paintovers of photos of the actor's face)

Critique and comments are welcome as always

cheers,
    Etienne

Last edited by VirusArtist; February 26th, 2006 at 05:53 AM.

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Jason Manley is online now Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,562 Times in 2,171 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you are having proportion problems with your figure work and the designs are really not that interesting. the helmet is the best...but it doesnt even line up orthographically...and the white lights are killing the impression of quality....the bottom faces remind me of "enemy mine"

you are painting too much white into your lights....it gives it a blown out chalky feeling...and the blacks in your darks are causing the mud problem.

really, they look labored over...you should focus on speed painting for a while....work on your design, proportions, color, and getting things out without making them look overworked. if you do something that looks overworked or labored then go over the whole thing with fresh marks to at least make it look like it was virtuoso....but really it all comes down to great design ideas and that will mean more sketches and early loose work to figure things out before you go and render it all.

harsh...but that is my feelings on this stuff.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for the fast response... as harsh as it sounds, you're right in a lotta points..

as for the designs: "enemy mine" (the mask... thats why the first one got refused) and "dune" (the suits) actually were the references given to me by the art director ("we want it that way, just a little different").

As for the suits: had to follow some guidelines there too (would have loved to go all "warhammer" on these ):

first of all I had to make sure that these suits can be built in real life in little time without becoming too expensive (originally I was asked to produce these in real life, but I had to pass due to missing time)

the second restriction has to do with the role of the male character.
    basically he's a "martial arts alien" (dont ask... mathis landwehr currently is hyped as germany's first "martial arts star").

thus the armour had to be non-restrictive to his movements while offering real protection for the stunts - padding seemed to be the best choice along with the "dune" guideline..
    the female suit had to follow the same rules for continuity reasons...

as for the anatomy... you're right on the guy suit.. I fastly scribbled an outline to work on (had no actualy shots of the actor's anatomy so I tried to mimic it as good as possible.. guess i failed a bit..) and went from there... the girl suit actually is a paintover:

as for the technique: think so too... I tend to get lost in detail alot, losing a lotta energy... one of the problems i'm trying to fix for a few weeks now along with my colouring. most of the time I dont quite dare to go all colour on my pieces... dont really know how to fix that problem though..

I'm too used to black and white lineart I guess (normally my field of expertise..)

thanx for the critique.. I'll work on fixing the problems

cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also like the helmet the most. but I should agree with Jason, the white doesn't look good.

and the guyarmour should be non-restrictive to his movements?
    have you ever done martialarts? or anny sport at all?
    if you want to move quick "pads" are very frustrating they move un and down when you run and it's not comfrontable at all! I prefer a americanfootball shoulderpad more then pads while I need to run or fight
    also moving with a iron arm? and a leg?

I hope it helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the crit... I have to disagree on the subject of armour and martial arts though (well... mainly about the padding part).

Not restricting movement is one of those things I take into consideration first when designing an armour. I have worn, used, and produced alot of the real stuff over the years due to my hobby (armed combat, fencing, LARP) and must say, that you would be surprised about how much freedom of movement a gambeson can provide.

Also its fairly lightweigh (about 3 or 4 kilograms) and protects the wearer from hard falls/hits etc. (again somethingI know from experience)

Basically its all about the design of the pockets that determine how good or bad you can move. Look at fencing vests (one of my references) for instance.

the "sowing gaps" between the padded pockets serve as a kind of "folding line", while the flexibility of the materials used (leather or cloth, soft inlays like wool or sheep fur/hair for the pockets) add to the maneuverability. If you design the pockets to follow the movement struture of the body (for instance, the horizontal belly part of the male armour) you take away alot of the problems an armour provides in terms of movement.

still theres a little bit of restriction left, but thats where the segments come in... when sewn onto a skin tight sub layer (with a free "borderzone" of ca 5 cm for overlapping reasons) these segments tend to stay in the right place, while the gaps between them eliminate another big part of the movement limitations (a reason why I chose the segments to be shaped like the main sections of the body).

so basically, while maybe not looking as good, this padded armour should serve its purose well when shooting begins. I just didnt want to follow the "design over function" - habit alot of movies have.

as for the arm... I agree.. maybe I should have left that one out... wanted to add a slight touch of a gladiator.. but this could become a problem in real life...

as for the white highlights...I'll keep that in mind the next time I get to paint surfaces like that one.

cheers,
    Etienne

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the body suit looks too similar to the suits used in the moive "THE CELL" , when i first saw your designs it instantly reminded me of that movie , just my two cents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok I understand what you mean with the pads but I still think that the suit would have problems when I wear it when I want to make a kick expect for a front or chopkick they should be ok but for spinkicks, hookkicks, sidekicks, jumpingkicks a suit need to be like you don't wear clothes or like the skin itself you know very flexable.

but hey everyone has his own oppinions

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.