need help getting a painter file to vector

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

need help getting a painter file to vector

I looked around for some info on vectors here and found some things along with the help index in Painter, but still not quite clear.

I am simply more comfortable with Painter (6.1 still) than anything else. I use it even to do posters and stuff, especially because of the dynamic text.

For my daughters softball team, I want to make a large banner (3ft x 5ft approx), to display our sponsors. The banner makers I have talked to said they need vector file extensions. My question, what would be the best way to go about this. If it helps, I do have an older version of Photoshop as well. I was thinking, wouldn't filing an ESP file get me there?

If I made a true size drawing in painter, filed in esp. wouldnt I see on the screen at 100% what the banner would look like?

Appreciate any insight.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Typically a banner maker like that wants vector art, because it can be sized to any scale without losing quality. It is usually created in a program like Illustrator or Freehand. Painter and Photoshop on the other hand, use pixels, and when you blow them up to large sizes, the quality drastically decreases. The banner your maker wants would be made out of different cut pieces of vinyl, typically flat colors also. It would depend on your Painter image/design, but the odds of creating a good vector image from a pixel image are very slim. Illustrator CS2 has a new feature called live trace that does an amazing job, but your banner maker would probably freak out when he saw the vector file. They tend to become VERY complex.

Your best bet is to just create it with a vector program.

Option 2 is find a banner maker who can print large banners on an ink jet from your pixel (not vector) art. I've seen this done, and they can look pretty good.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso

<<< Sketchbook >>>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, gotcha. I was thinking that one of those extensions I never used and never looked into, might be one that I could use to help with this. Guess I will have to work that out. thanx for the help, much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are software available that translates raster image (bitmapped) into vector graphics. If you have Coreldraw, it includes Corel Trace that can do this.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.