Art: The Fall of Babylon

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the sense of scale is a bit off, it looks so very small, maybe it's the details on the river that are too big.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good thing I would have liked would be to have landmarks that symbolize that it is Babylon. If you didn't show it in your title it would have been just a village on fire after a raid or something.

Other than my above rant I like it. What medium did you use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Landmarks are tough because nobody knows what it looked like. It's all painted in Photoshop. Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. Those damn rocks are to big! I'll reduce them. Thanks -Dave

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess the hanging gardens would be tough to depict at that scale.

Your smoke work is really nice. I agree with qitsune about the scale though the rocks seem to be the only thing I can put my finger on - maybe the archways in the walls on the right being too large?

Good stuff.

Daniel Govar
    www.danielgovar.com | www.thereandbackagain.net | zudacomics.com/azure
    "where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?" - Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I signed up so I could make this post, that's about it. I have the drawing skills of a panda with a really, really small pencil.

Anyway, concerning what landmarks were like at the time, yeah, toughy. Well seeing as it was Iraq/Iran we can reason that the modern day ancient landmarks were the modern day landmarks of the time. There were Ziggurats, I think they also had the signs of the Zodiac at the top of them, either way the Babylonians were very into Astronomy and Astrology. It was them that gave us the 360° in a circle as they had narrowed the year down to 360 days.

The Fall of Babylon

With thanks to www.ewas.us I have managed to find this pic of what is apparently a ziggurat in Iraq, now this sort of thing deserves a painting of its own, but what might be able to be done is a much more scaled down version, I suppose the shape of a Mayan pyramid but much smaller, so it fits in with what seems to be the tiny little details of the painting above, as not to become the subject of the piece.

Right near the centre of this picture there seems to be a very zigguraty style construction. Now I'm not exactly an artist but I'd suggest it's moved to the right of the pillar of smoke [or even further to the right, so it's nowhere near the 'subject'], so it's situated where the dark shape which is partially obscured by smoke is. Left partially obscured it should stand there, just slightly larger than it is currently and much less destroyed so people look at it and think 'Ziggurat, Iraq...', well at least with a little persuasion.

After all that I must say I love the way the angle skews across the painting, alot like it's twisting away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the colors are too dark. black is a difficult color to use. it flattens.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons because, to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eyes moves rapidly on this piece from top left to bottom right. Careful in your design, you don't want your viewer visually to keep moving in that direction for they will fall off your piece, walk to another painting in thegallery, turn the page in the magazine. There is no pay off when we do get down to the bottom right, how about someone running who is one fire? something cool and powerful.

With your composition (check out old masters composition tool called the Golden Means) you want to direct the eye around and around your piece til the viewer is still standing there ten years later totally amazed by your work.

~M

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.