Character Portrait Ad
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character Portrait Ad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character Portrait Ad

I did this for an ad to get more character portrait commissions. I have to turn it in by March 10th at the latest but preferably by March 1st. Any crits would be appreciated. Tried to get some interesting skin colors and variety of character types.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few things come to mind: First, the cut-off face to the right is a real eyesore. Makes it feel like a sloppy crop by a bored editor. Second, how about some cast shadows on the group as a whole? I guess the rimlight is from the sky, but it doesnt seem to be cast very uniformly. The old guy should block it from the samurai's left arm for example. You've got some value depth with the background guys in shadow, but it could definately be pushed further, with some cast shadows and stronger highlights. The cut off face has a very pronounced shadow side, which is a little strange since the primary light source isnt hitting him very hard. Other than that, just sharpen up the front guy and you're good. Your characters are good and I'd say that's the most important part in this case

I'm totally digging the girl to the left btw, would love to see a full figure of her. What is the character portrait submission thing for? I've been meaning to do more of that stuff for different genres.

Sketchbook 2005 2006 2009

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No offense, but am I correct in thinking this is a composite of various characters you've done separately? The reason being, your samurai, is less distinct then most of the people behind him. It throws me off. I too dig the woman and if I am correct I hope you will post her alone. She's pretty rockin' and is more defined than Sam.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bloodsbane- Thanks for the crits. I'm revising it now. Sharpening up the frontmost character and fixing the rimlight. Also fixing the far right cropping and shadow side. I'll have the revisions up tommorrow.

RocknOats- Unfortunately guys there's no more to the female character. I did a pencil drawing of her naked and had her holding a chain with blades on her but it's just a really rough line drawing. The samurai guy was done specifically for this. The far right heads were b&w portraits I already had done. I may also do something about that far right head besides changing its cropping. I don't like that there are two bald heads next to each other. Might change it to a female orc or something.

Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the paint job on the girl's face. The main guy's face feature is too blurred due to the soft shading. Both character's body can use more distinct coloring in certain places.
    Like others mentioned, the people in the back are rather distracting. Seeing how there's light yellowish outline around the character, and with the yellow sky, why not make the people in the back lighting with brushed over dusty colors? That may also help to bring some depth to the image as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me know if this is any better guys. Tried to sharpen up the samurai guy.

Look-Could you explain what you mean by "Both character's body can use more distinct coloring in certain places." I think the dusting over the background characters rather than darkening them is the way to go so I did that in this update. Maybe went a little too far.

Bloodsbane-I forgot to respond to your question. It's for an advertisement to try to get more private commissions for character portraits. That's when somebody wants an image of the character they use in a RPG illustrated.

Last edited by Joeslucher; February 25th, 2006 at 05:58 PM.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ditch the rim lighting. You could spend the next week trying figure it out and get it right, but it still probably wouldn't work pictorially. Or you could save yourself a world of hurt and improve the picture greatly by just getting rid of it.

There are a bunch of really uncomfortable compositional choices in the second row of figures. Notice how the guy with the helmet's nose touches the girl's hair, and how the old man's chin rests on the samurai's shoulder (which is too low, btw). Check out how Norman Rockwell handles massed groups of figures.

I liked the guy on the far right better when he was cropped.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell-"ditch the rim lighting" done and done. I moved back the guy to being cropped. I moved the nose off the edge of the hair. I raised the shoulder. I got rid of the wierd triangle above the background girl's head. I also moved her to the right because it created a wierd space between her and the samurai. I put a hood on the old guy since his forehead made you lose the outline of the lead guys head. Thanks Elwell. Always appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by Joeslucher; February 25th, 2006 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you took look's suggestion and dusted the background characters with orange and I think it's a mighty improvement.

Just reminding you to make the samurai sharper (especially around the edges), also to add a distinct shadow on the old man's face cast by his hood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JERI-thanks for the comments. Here's a sharpened up and cleaned up version. Now the old guy looks like Palpatine but oh well. I'm deleting the previous images so this page doesn't take so long to load.

Is this good enough for the Finally Finished section and do you think I'd get good feedback there?

Update:couple more things fixed.

Last edited by Joeslucher; February 27th, 2006 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.