Sketchbook: Continuity Break -- Feb 20: A Valkyrie's Journey (large images)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Continuity Break -- Feb 20: A Valkyrie's Journey (large images)

i've been doing fantasy/sci-fi art on a personal basis for 'bout 40+ years but with some major gaps in my attention to drawing & painting. i'm sort of catching up with myself now thanks to CA, and finally have some stuff i feel good about posting in a CA sketchbook.

i may also toss in a few sketches from long ago -- there's some i want to develop into paintings now I have my skills up to par.

this is stuff i've done as prep & studies for some portfolio-directed work, based on characters and concepts from the series of Chanur novels by C.J. Cherryh. i'm calling the project "Chanur" (Ms. Cherryh says that's OK). they're presented in roughly the order they were done.

quick 10min pose -- the hani are a bipedal felinoid species, interstellar traders

foundational work

a fast, fast character sketch -- this one's Khym, a male hani.

a female hani -- may expand this into the main character, Pyanfar, captain of the Chanur clan's star freighter The Pride of Chanur

Haral, Pyanfar's second in command on the Pride, her oldest friend and & partner in dockside adventures. one tough hani woman.

i anticipate much more to come -- with five other species + a human character, spaceships & stations, ET homeworld enviros, basically five novels' worth of material to indulge myself with, it looks to be fun.

Name:  VA_SBicon.jpg
Views: 2937
Size:  31.8 KB

Last edited by masque; February 21st, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow dude those are quite well done. gonna pm u .

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    incremental update:

the kif species plays the role of the principal bad guys in the Chanur novels, though there's lots of other conflicts and subplots. these fast thumbs are notes for developing characters in scenes i have in mind.

also finished a color hani portrait that can be seen at http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62347

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not a bad concept...but i'd like to see things just a little more fully rendered....hatch in the shadow....back away from the light ^"6

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, the sketches are great and interesting to look at and second, why these characters look familiar to me, I can't recall. I'm familiar with the author, but I know that I've never read any of the books. I think that my brother was into these books when we were younger, so that's got to be it. But, enough babbling, I 'll be looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @warlock -- yeah, i do have to build more tonal form into my sketches, you should see more as i progress, if not, lemme know! but sometimes the thumbs are just very quick notes to myself, so they're more like attempts to capture thoughts than produce more finished drawings.

madplanet -- have you perhaps seen Michael Whelan's covers for a couple of the books? his work is so definitive, it's not easy to bring anything fresh to the visualizations, though i'm trying.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more character and species interpretation, with tones! i'll probably do something similar for the kif species using the thumbnails above.

--edit 3/17/06, just a small change to Jik's ears in profile, a bit less humanoid, but still primate.

Last edited by masque; March 17th, 2006 at 08:53 PM.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Chip, well, I had no idea what it takes to create a new character, you need to write his whole life.
    I like your lines, you don't think much when you draw, well at least think about something else, very precise and calm lines. And with a good speed too. This one is especially pleasant to look, very clear and free drawn silhouette of the head, beautiful. http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5...ch01web1tt.jpg

Very nice volume, form of the head.

well, you are busy creating your portfolio, so I think you will draw only the needed for this art. But I wish you show more of your line work, from every day's life too. Simple objects and scenes. i bet it would be a treat.

So the bad guys are sort of crocodiles. Actually all of them look pretty rough and can change plus on minus very fast.
    The last character looks very sympathetic though, such a lovely sad eyes, that's because the prototype is a monkey, they are mostly likable and have very wise eyes, even their babies.
    See you
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 6 additions

some new and newish stuff:

another CHANUR project study, pushing the kif thumbs farther.

i revised this a bit, taking the good advice of another Chanur fan. Thanks, Tiffany!

consolidated sketches & thumbnails for my ChOW "Mortimer, the Devil's Advocate" piece

working sketch for my ChOW "Asteroid Miner" submission

various and sundry thumbnails, including some thoughts on my ChOW Nancy Goodaim's headgear (none of which were used). mostly 5-10 min whipsketches

base for a COW painting i didn't complete -- "White Skinned Dragon Eater"

--------------------------------

sve, you're quite right about the Chanur characters, they all are the type that can have dark and light sides, one reason i like Cherryh's work so much, her characters are always complex and interesting. i put some other stuff in this update, but it's all "outta my head," i don't do much from life these days. thanks for your kind comments, always insightful

Last edited by masque; March 21st, 2006 at 05:27 PM.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice update, Masque, I like to see all of the prelim sketches for the various competitions. Do you have any plans to finish the white-skinned dragon eater? I really like that one, especially how the dragon drapes over the rock. I liked the asteroid miner too; my first impression was of something out of Outland. Too obvious?

And yeah, I must have seen those Whelan book covers laying around somewhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Chip, how are you. Nice to see a new update from you.
    I watched Oscar yesterday, looks like it will be some good movies to watch , at least one animation I need to see" Corpse bride", very much in the CA spirit, . When I came here on this forum first I was so far from loving this kind of art.
    One more prove that the humans are very social animals, I'm soaking up the local atmosphere. Wonder if it is really me.

Oh sorry, got carried away, but lets it stay,

Looking at how you're searching for an image is very interesting. Looks like you don't have it all clear in your mind at the beginning, you find a needed expression, pose, features on the paper. Is it right? I got it from your building the Mortimer character. He changed considerably. I like your final version very much, but this central figure expression of the face is very good too. Such a confident, imperturbable face. Is it all from imagination? so wonderful.

I like this strange little house where two spiders live, So funny and curious to look at their little domestic life. I love illustrations like this. With many personal household objects and many clues about their lives. Makes me all cozy, I just hope they are not some sort of human eaters. Well, looks like they might be, but didn't have the possibility yet. Ate a giraffe though. .
    Oh. heheh, Just read that they are dragon eaters, heh, feel better already . Little charmers .
    ChOW for asteroid miner looks great. I really can't tell much, I know how hard to do this kind of a challenge: the figure is upside down, in perspective, with a lot of foreshortening. The near placed to us torso and hands could be bigger, but it looks very natural already, my eyes recognised the possible position. So "If something ain't broken, don't fix it" applies, right?.
    Still hope to see what you draw for your own.
    Thanks.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @madplanet:thanks for lookin' in, glad you like my scribbles Outland was a pretty good flick, not a direct influence on the miner but one of many. i may revisit the dragon-eaters -- the painting wasn't going well when i dropped it for Nancy Goodaim, so i'd prob'ly start from scratch if i do.

@sve: you're so perceptive! yes, i often try to "find" an image or characterization while doing quick sketches and thumbnails, letting the looseness suggest avenues for more development in the sketch. it's a bit like stream-of-consciousness/free association writing, not very structured, at least at first. i need to put more sense of lighting and modeling (tone) into them, though, working toward that.

try not to be disappointed in me, sve, but this is what i draw "for my own." i love doing the character/concept stuff, have since i was a kid -- pre-"concept art," pre-digital, pretty much pre-historic . here's an example (my first wayback-machine post) of a sketch that i did about 25+ years ago (sig & copyright added today for web posting):

so you see, i'm kind of trying to go backward (to recover this level of ability) and forward (to develop wider rendering skills) at the same time.

"I'm so confyoosed!" -- Vinnie Barbarino

thanks again for stopping by for a chat, i love it!

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my 27-year-old self (he's still here... somewhere...) thanks you kindly, fellah.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Chip . Why I will be disappointed? It is very interesting drawing, and the composition and lines are just great. I enjoy looking at it. I think you should paint it. It is great already though, I'm telling my true impression. I need yet to draw something like this.
    Well, the hands of the guy look a little too big, but his figure is the best in the drawing, he is a very attractive character. Girl looks a bit generalised, in my opinion. Could have more personal features, but i like how she sits on the bear, a bit awkward, so i guess it is not her bear and the first ride like this in her life. Bear is wonderful. And your lines are superb, I repeat.
    Excuse me for saying this but don't call yourself ancient. Not the age defines human spirit. My aunt in her 79 was so young and high in spirit, she was always ahead of me, I was 17. I felt like I'm older than her. She was wise, but she was young too. The cynicism and bitterness make us old in my opinion. I'm very sorry for sounding like I'm advising you, not at all. just saying what i think about this age problem. Mostly it is all in our heads. Hope you will not be disappointed in me after my comment.
    Take care and don't forget to tell me the movie name whenever you like one
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; March 8th, 2006 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chanur and friends

Hi, masque

Yay!
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one I know who's read the Chanur saga now.

"have you perhaps seen Michael Whelan's covers for a couple of the books? his work is so definitive, it's not easy to bring anything fresh to the visualizations, though i'm trying."

It's quite an undertaking, to redesign something already painted by Michael Whelan, and you get a big nod from me for even considering it.^_^

A bit of a crit on your species designs, though: the frill on the kif's head troubles me, and maybe it's because I thought the kif were badass, but it seems like it's too goofy an addition to something as threatening as a kif - it misconstrues their menacing nature.
    I think that in this case, that gaze out from under the hood and the narrow snout is all you need.

Oh and I loved your rendition of Jik - you really played up the alien space pirate thing.

So that's about it.
    Thanks,

- Tiffany Turrill

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work here. I love the last drawing u posted.

Cheers!

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sve, you never disappoint, i love hearin' your thoughts. so, i guess i should drop the "ancient" label -- how does "Ponce de Leon wannabe" sound? just kidding, i'll think of something. i really don't think of myself as particularly "old" (except on Mondays at 3:12pm and the occasional Thursday ), but sometimes i tend to be a bit ironic, even regarding myself. your crits on the strengths and weaknesses of my younger self's drawing are spot on, i hope to be building on the former and avoiding the latter as i get back into this.

Tiffany, thank you so much for visiting my SB, it's great to have another Chanur fan looking over my work, especially one so talented! i agree about the kif study, i got carried away with the elaborations and they dilute the principle character aspect, which is why we do studies right? i'm glad Jik works OK for you, too, though i think i'll bob his ears a bit, they seem too humanoid as i look back. i'm still refining the hani, the sketches and the Pyanfar portrait are big steps along the way, but not quite there yet. i'd welcome any feedback you're willing to offer.

T-Raktor: thanks! hopefully i'll be surpassing that soon with my current work.

speaking of which, here's a few color speedpaints (well, speedy for me, that is) i did to loosen up a bit and practice environ's and architecture (prep for doing some Anuurn scenes, Tiffany )

-chip

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Chip . Well, I know about myself that I'm too nosy, ask too many questions, but I really feel just partly guilty in this. Every arrived answer opens up for me a new door, and I have to struggle not to run and look what's behind it . Now you left me two things to be curious about. What's going on Mondays at 3:12pm and the occasional Thursday . I can guess though, but prefer to listen .

And the second new information, you wanted to be a Spanish soldier of 16th century (I was searching his name on Internet, not gonna hide this ). Yeah, you were joking, I know, but I always think that in every joke there is only part of joke, the rest is based on something, or the thought would not be on your mind at all . I'm sorry for always asking questions, but what attracts you to this cruel and naive history figure? Traveling or him searching for the "fountain of youth". Thinking about this mythical spring of eternal life and health I'm not sure I want it.

Back to your art, which is gorgeous. Thank you so much for posting them. They are pure delight to look at them. You will not hear anything but thank you from me today, they are wonderful.

I especially value this fresh, original manner of the paintings, I'm so relieved to see a new approach, and new modest but pleasantly close to a real life outside the window colors. I love those a bit dimmed colors, they are soothing and moody. Combination, the shades you chose are wonderful, I appreciate this calm, polite manner to talk to your viewer.
    I'm telling you, Chip, and ask you to believe me, your speedies look like nobody else on this forum, they are made with understanding colors and how they effect our minds.
    I love all of them, they are beautiful I save them , I hope you don't mind. My the most favorite the second and the last.

In the second, the landscape with remains of scarce snow, and the beautiful view far way with sunset, and the night with its softness and piece offering effect. all this makes me touched and warm. There is so much loveliness, light pleasant sadness, pondering in this painting, for me it is an offering of a rest and harmony to tired soul to the end of the day.
    Love this dimmed colors so much.

And in the last painting the mood is wonderful. Lovely, romantic, enchanting, graceful in its finest. I'm charmed. Colors are perfect, everything is how I want it. It is a pure magic. I love this beautiful tree ghost and this wonderful forest. Thank you so much, you are an artist with soul, Chip, I adore it.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok that rainforest pic is beautiful Mr. Masque.

I think you are missing the forest for the trees though about your level and ability. I see a big difference from the 27 year old post and the 28 year old ones

I see maturity, understanding, emotion and form. I dont think you have anything to worry about concerning being 27 again. You were it once. Now live where you are now

I will have to come back here more often as you update.

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, the postcards that I loved so much from the WIP forum!

I really dig your sketches. It's nice to see un-crappy anthropomorphs! They look very good, I love your sketching style. You have just enough details to keep the eye busy with information, but not so much that it distracts and the eye doesn't really know what to see, or focus on. I also like that you use anatomical terms...it'll keep me on my toes for anatomy class (and, well, the rest of my artistic life, hopefully)!

Just a few words, but I wanted to leave a mark without pissing all over your nice sketchbook here. ; )

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Absence and booze.

There are no small sketchpads, just small artists.

The make-perfect button must come from within.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really develop those creatures of yours... I should take your lead on that.. hehe..

My absolute favourites are the enviros you posted last. Beautiful stuff!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chip, your grasp of anatomy is really impressive man. Kick ass character designs too. Cheers for sharing bro'.

Puddles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been struggling a bit with this new technique, worth the effort but it put an update back a bit. now remedied.

sve, i'm so glad you enjoy the new approach i'm exploring, it's exciting but also challenging, not something that is easily applied to every subject. and you are most welcome to save them for "local" viewing, as are all CAers.

Tetsuo, thanks so much, you're right about my being a bit "nearsighted" regarding my own work, which is why i value the feedback i get here at CA, it's made more difference in my artistic progress than anything else i can remember. i don't really want to go back to 27, but my pics from then are still useful self-evaluation "benchmarks" in some regards.

Ms. Brownie, feel free to leave your painty marks all over my sketchbook's "trees" . glad you think my alien characters (like even-numbered Trek films) don't suck -- that means lots coming from a Trek aficionado, and i mean that sincerely. this from a guy who was a fan of the original series, when it originally aired! btw, the anatomy terms -- i had to look 'em up . self-education has its drawbacks.

dCepT, thanks, man. i like having some "extra dimension" to most of the stuff i do, plus it helps me ramp up to doing the more developed character drawings, i feel more confident i know them in detail. i hope to integrate the technique of the enviros into the character stuff, but it's not a trivial task, a bit like goin' back to school, if i had ever been to school (heh, heh).

heya Puddles, thanks for stoppin' by! figures i feel confident with, one reason i'm workin' out with some enviro and industrial subjects, trying to get all the art-muscles up to snuff. fun, too!

new stuff...

industrial theme exercise. i need lots of reps in this area, feel kinda flabby. this was a good workout, i think

sweated over this one, i like the lighting, but i'm not all that happy with the BG rock forms and the structures. had to call it finished before i sprained something, though

OK, figures in this technique are a problem that needs more attention, but this is a sketchbook.

back to basics, another Chanur subject. the stsho are very interesting, though not admirable, creatures. they have an unique defense mechanism -- when faced with unacceptable stress, they totally deconstruct their psyches, then reintegrate as a "new" individual. it's then considered unforgiveably gauche to even mention the "new" stsho's previous "phase."

the stsho are subtle characters, in their coloration, their culture, even their treachery. they are absolutley incapable of dealing with physical aggression, and most are rabidly xenophobic, yet they play a major role in the political and economic relationships among the seven species portrayed in the novels. i developed the details a lot doing this study, the pencil sketch was "warm-ups."

Last edited by masque; March 18th, 2006 at 07:55 AM.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice stuff here masque, love the variety of subject matter and techniques.

for example - i really like the connection between this more experimental one
    http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/8...burst010yp.jpg
    and this one
    http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1...ockside7ng.jpg
    how you used that same technique of lets say cross hatching.

which makes me think what this
    http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1...psketch3so.jpg
    will bring us later on.

keep up the experiments.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Masque, you continue to amaze me; those first three environments from the post of the 8th gave me two immediate impressions, the first being that of a chaotic sort, but also they gave me a calming feeling, kind of like watching a city scene at night while raining. Very successful, in my eyes.

The cavern temple is my favorite of the last ones and I would agree that the background rocks could use a little something, but only the very deep parts. Maybe just darken it or something like that. The lighting is very effective, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, skipped all my questions, eh? Thank you very much, I love when people do this to me .

Well, that got me in the critiquing mood, so hopefully you'll get it big way as you asked, if I'm not mistaking.

The painting with a fantasy sculpture. The thing is I think, when something put in the middle, something big and domineering, you dont give your viewers much to add to thinking process. Everything is said. look here, this is the thing. I like this painting better when it is divided in two paintings. The little silhouette in front of the dead lake with glowing tree, and the second image of the intimidating woman figure and electrical flashes running along her body.

I think as of now the painting is overloaded with information and details, and I don't feel harmony in it. maybe it was the point you wanted to make. And I can add that the little stairs in this image look too strict, a bit out of style comparing to the rest line work in this paining. I might be wrong, but everything is deceitful for eyes in this image, like spots of indefinite colors, lines changing the direction and rhythm, I feel some nervousness and tense in this, and these accurate stairs throw me out of this mood. I think it should be more impressionistic looking stairs, spots of colors, you know.

The industrial painting looks impeccable to me, really great looking colors, perspective and details. The slanted gates add some life to image too and tempo, as the multiplied gaps in the structure. Very energetic tempo.

Character (stsho) is very mild one, especially the coloring, so I think, it would be great to add more hints to its life style, like you did with hani, meaning jewelry, outfit, hairdo. Although it does show many character's features, I can see a treachery in its curled inside, closed lips. I personally don't see xenophobia, the open eye contact for me suggests an open character, and open mindedness as well. It might be good to use some body language, gestures. The pencil sketch of the head does have the needed features though, in my opinion. Thin, weak constitution is a good hint on the nonconfrontational character.
    The mohawk, btw, gives me an association with a nonconformist and aggressive sides of personality.
    And I might be wrong, but I feel very strong influence of Dr. Seuss on you.
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; March 23rd, 2006 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    J'ello Masque, nice work going on in here...theres something about the subject matter in alot of them that really reminds me of like 70s sci-fi...in a good way. SVE mentioned a Dr. Seuss influence, and I see that, but also an old-school sci-fantasy flavor as well Your environments are pretty nice as well, I like that rake brush effect. Anyway, sorry I didn't have anything useful to contribute, just a simple "woot" and keep it comin.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lively sketches and characters and awesome enviroments... juicy colors... man .. from here

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wake up call - up date time, whatever it is, hit us with some new niceties and experiments man.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2