Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Continuity Break -- Feb 20: A Valkyrie's Journey (large images)

i've been doing fantasy/sci-fi art on a personal basis for 'bout 40+ years but with some major gaps in my attention to drawing & painting. i'm sort of catching up with myself now thanks to CA, and finally have some stuff i feel good about posting in a CA sketchbook.

i may also toss in a few sketches from long ago -- there's some i want to develop into paintings now I have my skills up to par.

this is stuff i've done as prep & studies for some portfolio-directed work, based on characters and concepts from the series of Chanur novels by C.J. Cherryh. i'm calling the project "Chanur" (Ms. Cherryh says that's OK). they're presented in roughly the order they were done.

quick 10min pose -- the hani are a bipedal felinoid species, interstellar traders

foundational work

a fast, fast character sketch -- this one's Khym, a male hani.

a female hani -- may expand this into the main character, Pyanfar, captain of the Chanur clan's star freighter The Pride of Chanur

Haral, Pyanfar's second in command on the Pride, her oldest friend and & partner in dockside adventures. one tough hani woman.

i anticipate much more to come -- with five other species + a human character, spaceships & stations, ET homeworld enviros, basically five novels' worth of material to indulge myself with, it looks to be fun.

Name:  VA_SBicon.jpg
Views: 3264
Size:  31.8 KB

Last edited by masque; February 21st, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    wow dude those are quite well done. gonna pm u .

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Thanks
    incremental update:
    the kif species plays the role of the principal bad guys in the Chanur novels, though there's lots of other conflicts and subplots. these fast thumbs are notes for developing characters in scenes i have in mind.

also finished a color hani portrait that can be seen at http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62347

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    not a bad concept...but i'd like to see things just a little more fully rendered....hatch in the shadow....back away from the light ^"6

Thanks
    First of all, the sketches are great and interesting to look at and second, why these characters look familiar to me, I can't recall. I'm familiar with the author, but I know that I've never read any of the books. I think that my brother was into these books when we were younger, so that's got to be it. But, enough babbling, I 'll be looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    @warlock -- yeah, i do have to build more tonal form into my sketches, you should see more as i progress, if not, lemme know! but sometimes the thumbs are just very quick notes to myself, so they're more like attempts to capture thoughts than produce more finished drawings.

madplanet -- have you perhaps seen Michael Whelan's covers for a couple of the books? his work is so definitive, it's not easy to bring anything fresh to the visualizations, though i'm trying.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks

more character and species interpretation, with tones! i'll probably do something similar for the kif species using the thumbnails above.

--edit 3/17/06, just a small change to Jik's ears in profile, a bit less humanoid, but still primate.

Last edited by masque; March 17th, 2006 at 08:53 PM.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Hello, Chip, well, I had no idea what it takes to create a new character, you need to write his whole life.
    I like your lines, you don't think much when you draw, well at least think about something else, very precise and calm lines. And with a good speed too. This one is especially pleasant to look, very clear and free drawn silhouette of the head, beautiful. http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5...ch01web1tt.jpg

Very nice volume, form of the head.

well, you are busy creating your portfolio, so I think you will draw only the needed for this art. But I wish you show more of your line work, from every day's life too. Simple objects and scenes. i bet it would be a treat.

So the bad guys are sort of crocodiles. Actually all of them look pretty rough and can change plus on minus very fast.
    The last character looks very sympathetic though, such a lovely sad eyes, that's because the prototype is a monkey, they are mostly likable and have very wise eyes, even their babies.
    See you
    Sveta

Thanks

March 6 additions

some new and newish stuff:

another CHANUR project study, pushing the kif thumbs farther.

i revised this a bit, taking the good advice of another Chanur fan. Thanks, Tiffany!

consolidated sketches & thumbnails for my ChOW "Mortimer, the Devil's Advocate" piece

working sketch for my ChOW "Asteroid Miner" submission

various and sundry thumbnails, including some thoughts on my ChOW Nancy Goodaim's headgear (none of which were used). mostly 5-10 min whipsketches

base for a COW painting i didn't complete -- "White Skinned Dragon Eater"

--------------------------------

sve, you're quite right about the Chanur characters, they all are the type that can have dark and light sides, one reason i like Cherryh's work so much, her characters are always complex and interesting. i put some other stuff in this update, but it's all "outta my head," i don't do much from life these days. thanks for your kind comments, always insightful

Last edited by masque; March 21st, 2006 at 05:27 PM.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Very nice update, Masque, I like to see all of the prelim sketches for the various competitions. Do you have any plans to finish the white-skinned dragon eater? I really like that one, especially how the dragon drapes over the rock. I liked the asteroid miner too; my first impression was of something out of Outland. Too obvious?

And yeah, I must have seen those Whelan book covers laying around somewhere.

Thanks
    Hello, Chip, how are you. Nice to see a new update from you.
    I watched Oscar yesterday, looks like it will be some good movies to watch , at least one animation I need to see" Corpse bride", very much in the CA spirit, . When I came here on this forum first I was so far from loving this kind of art.
    One more prove that the humans are very social animals, I'm soaking up the local atmosphere. Wonder if it is really me.

Oh sorry, got carried away, but lets it stay,

Looking at how you're searching for an image is very interesting. Looks like you don't have it all clear in your mind at the beginning, you find a needed expression, pose, features on the paper. Is it right? I got it from your building the Mortimer character. He changed considerably. I like your final version very much, but this central figure expression of the face is very good too. Such a confident, imperturbable face. Is it all from imagination? so wonderful.

I like this strange little house where two spiders live, So funny and curious to look at their little domestic life. I love illustrations like this. With many personal household objects and many clues about their lives. Makes me all cozy, I just hope they are not some sort of human eaters. Well, looks like they might be, but didn't have the possibility yet. Ate a giraffe though. .
    Oh. heheh, Just read that they are dragon eaters, heh, feel better already . Little charmers .
    ChOW for asteroid miner looks great. I really can't tell much, I know how hard to do this kind of a challenge: the figure is upside down, in perspective, with a lot of foreshortening. The near placed to us torso and hands could be bigger, but it looks very natural already, my eyes recognised the possible position. So "If something ain't broken, don't fix it" applies, right?.
    Still hope to see what you draw for your own.
    Thanks.
    Sveta

Thanks
    @madplanet:thanks for lookin' in, glad you like my scribbles Outland was a pretty good flick, not a direct influence on the miner but one of many. i may revisit the dragon-eaters -- the painting wasn't going well when i dropped it for Nancy Goodaim, so i'd prob'ly start from scratch if i do.

@sve: you're so perceptive! yes, i often try to "find" an image or characterization while doing quick sketches and thumbnails, letting the looseness suggest avenues for more development in the sketch. it's a bit like stream-of-consciousness/free association writing, not very structured, at least at first. i need to put more sense of lighting and modeling (tone) into them, though, working toward that.

try not to be disappointed in me, sve, but this is what i draw "for my own." i love doing the character/concept stuff, have since i was a kid -- pre-"concept art," pre-digital, pretty much pre-historic . here's an example (my first wayback-machine post) of a sketch that i did about 25+ years ago (sig & copyright added today for web posting):

so you see, i'm kind of trying to go backward (to recover this level of ability) and forward (to develop wider rendering skills) at the same time.

"I'm so confyoosed!" -- Vinnie Barbarino

thanks again for stopping by for a chat, i love it!

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3