Sketchbook: cburt + (3/16/06) = *L*O*V*E*

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Minneapolis and kansas city occassionally
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cburt + (3/16/06) = *L*O*V*E*

the return.

ooook, its been a while since i updated my last book and i've been doing a lot of different stuff so i decided to start this new book (yea zebz, i really did, whoda thunk it? thanks for the pressure by the way . anywho, my intention with this thread is to show my sketchbook as a whole without really omitting a lot of information. i do a lot of different things that kinda make my books pretty spastic. in this post, i've got a few character-esque kind of drawings, kind of along the lines of portraiture...and i've also got some sketches, ideas, notes, and drawings that are part of my senior project that will be used for my senior show in may. anyway, here goes:

these are all no refs by the way.
    ballpoint. needs a lot more work...

pencil. distorted and skewed.

pen.

pencil. decided to draw best part of winter...which is of course ski bunnies. her eye's kinda f'd up

pencil.

pencil.

this is all stuff that is going into my senior project. BASICALLY, my senior project consists of designing/illustrating a set of tarot cards. i chose to do this due to the themes and mysticism involved in tarot, not specifically to perform it. its been a learning experience and development so far, seeing as how 1. i dont know a lot about tarot 2. its gone from a very graphic and ornamental style with mathematical influences to a more calm repetitive drawing style while still utilizing the mathematics aspects, which i'm working with now. anyway, heres kind of a chronological progression showing details of the processes i've been going through:

mathematics, compass, and pattern studies

compiled stuff from various pages (to cut down on bandwith)

this is wehre i kind of broke into the ideas that i'm concentrating on now

hi-tec pen. unfinished page

hi-tec pen. leaves.

hi-tec pen. bricks.

hi-tec pen. leaves in the well.

well, thats all i've got for now, i'll try and update again soon, been spending a lot more of my time in the sketchbook lately so i should have some more stuff to post soon enough. feel free to leave any and all comments or crits you have. a lot of this isn't entire thoughts, so hopefully its not confusing, if it is...whatever. heh.
    enjoy

-cburt

Last edited by cburt; March 17th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES! It's about freakin' time, my man! You need to be postin'! I'm really glad you're settin' yourself into the grind again. Makes your boy muy proud. I missed that tasty, CBurt pen action too. I hope we get more of it. I think I've loosened up on my pens and I don't hatch enough like I used to. Maybe this still will inspire me to keep up at that again.

That first guy is really nice. I like the way you're trying to describe the form void of lines. Just values and hatches. Very beautiful. The same goes for the pencils, especially on the Ski bunnies. Heh. Gotta love 'dem bunnies! It's very sharp and detailed. I almost wish I could lean in and see how detailed. I'd imagine you're much like me in that we seem to get lost in some of or doodles and just render the absolute hell out of it. It's a stress reliever I think. Heh.

It's funny that even after all this time of not seeing your stuff you've still go this sort of trade mark look about your figures and such. Especially in the faces. It's neat to see how your style has progressed a bit. I'd love to see you really mix some of it up tho. Just create some fresh faces, distorted crazy, just really different looking faces. A lot of them seem to have a similar look, especially in the eyes, which ain't bad but definately could use some more variation. I'm sure you've got it in you. It's just when ya sit to sketch you just do what you do, y'know? Not a lot of thoughts. Beautiful stuff tho, bro.

The tarot cards ideas are really coming along quite nicely as well. I really love your pen work in here. Especially those freakin' leaves. I love it when you work like this. It reminds me of the lithographs you did in the last sketchbook, which are kick ass btw. I'd like to have that one of the cats on a t-shirt or something! Just fluid and really pleasing design. But yea, these look great. I know you're just fleshin' some stuff out, I can definately understand that. And it'll be interesting to see how you develop these ideas and concepts later into finished pieces.

Can't wait for the next update. We'll get your sketch jam rockin' soon and we'll get s'more accountability to your pencils and pens, eh? Hope you make to MTL, brutha. It'd be a highlight of mine just to actually meet you and crash in your sketchbook with ya. I'll be lookin' fer more. Keep at it as always. Ya hur? Later, man.

Ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Cburt , you have a great stuff here , and you have a nice sense of "design" or composition. I want to show more your stuff

see ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are great! The only think that bpthers me is the well in the last pic. The bricks look like they are a wallpaper pasted on. I don't get the same constructed feeling of mass as I get in the pile of bricks, or your other drawings...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz - thanks a lot for the reply and thanks also for the push to post again. i'm really looking forward to keeping this book updated a bit, so i'm tryin to keep myself busy with it. i totally agree with the faces thing, i end up getting so wrapped up in the moment of rendering and getting things to look somewhat accurate that i lose my focus on really creating some more unique and expressive features, something i'm working on but have yet to really produce well. glad you like the technical pen work, i'm really happy with it. doing it is a huge stress reliever, its kind of hypnotic in a way working like that which is nice. its given me a few more ideas for some prints as well that i plan on fleshing out soon. thanks again man, glad you could stop in. be on the lookout for more.

Fatty - thanks for taking a look. i agree about the eyes, i kinda get a little too wrapped up in what i'm doing and then the eyes become kinda glassed over and sometimes a little to vacant in my opinion. check back soon!

shylone - thanks a lot!

Glikster - i totally agree on the leaves and well drawing, though i do think that the drawing in real life isnt as extremely odd in its flatness as the computer screen one, but it definitely is a bit off. something to keep an eye on in the rest of the pieces i'm working on. thanks a lot for stopping in.

heres a detail of the ski bunny girl just to get accross some of the marks, esp. satisfied with the fur on the inside of the hood:

more to come soon, hopefully monday or tuesday possibly? who knows...
    thanks for stoppin in.

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

-=small update=-

dig it.

pencil of bus stop, no refs

hi-tecs

hi-tec and brush pen at the coffee shop

all c&c appreciated
    enjoy.

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cburt! - i like the pattern experiments. but i love this one right here
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...upidsketch.jpg

and i have to say that from you old book that bike in ballpen was genius!
    keep it coming man.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yo.

tensai - hey man, thanks, glad you like.

well, i've got some new stuff thats mostly been used in a new set of prints of mine which can be seen on my new webpage c/o photoshops 'automate web gallery' function. so check it out, theres a link at the end of my signature. the newest pieces that i've done are the 2nd and 3rd images on the site so let me know what you think. included in this post are some of the components that make up those 2 pieces. anyway, enjoy.

eh, pencil:

hi-tec and prismas

environ study in prismas and hi tec

and heres the three components of the finished prints that can be viewed at my website. the final prints were done digitally on an epson printer.

hi tec

hi tec

watercolor with photo ref

well, thats all for today, most of its stuff i'm pretty happy with, esp. the final prints that i did. but let me know what you think, all c&c is good.
    thanks and enjoy

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! really amazing work. the leaves are crazy, how longed they take? beautliful rendering too. oh and thanks for the comment in my sb.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, that watercolor is super solid! The only crit I'd be able to come up with would be that it's so cool over all, bringing some warmth to the shadows might make it pop. Not neccessary at all, just a thought. Crazy leaves and bricks, makes me dizzy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pennington - thanks, the leaves take quite a bit of time, took longer than the leg and shoes painting that i used in conjunction with them..havent really clocked it yet though as i usually do it in multiple sittings.

Fatty - thanks a lot, glad you like it

Andy P - yea, i agree with the cool quality of the painting, though when i end up doing the final digital prints, i'm doing it on a warm paper with a VERY little more yellows in the color balancing to even it all out, unfortunately the digital images aren't great at illustrating that....i need to get some shots of the final prints up. thanks for the comments though, your book is really nice as well, i'll be droppin by when i get a chance.

this updates pretty minimal as i've been working on another piece that i'll post with the process work when i get finished with it all. so here's the two final-ish pieces that i made using some of the components from my last post..it had problems uploading them to photobucket for some reason so i figured out another way to link them.
    ~enjoy

came up with this composition during printing of the 1st one...i like this one more.

when i get more of the pieces in this series completed and printed and hung, i'll show what they're like in real life...i feel like they get a lot more pop that isn't apparant in the digital images.
    all c&c appreciated.
    thanks

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work man! love that last one, did'nt read, only looked at the pictures so did'nt see that coming.. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now I realized I would'nt have seen that coming even if I had read through the thread..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet pen work cburt, keep that up and killer watercolor

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thank you for the comments, much appreciation. just thought i'd be an over-achiever today and decided to update twice...only cause i just finished this print and i'm pretty happy with it. so here's just the components and the final digital image...once again, i'll post pictures of the actual print, as it will soften the whole thing up a lot.
    enjoy

pencil from photo ref

traced the contour of the tank in pencil and did the leaves with hi-tec

compiled and composed...and a little clone stamping and color tweaking

thanks for stoppin in, c&c would be great

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude. I love your style. Your pencil skills rock my face off pretty much. and I don't think I would have the patience to draw all of those leaves. I like the idea of drawing seperate images and compiling them all in one. I should try that sometime. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty cool, for some reason the leaf compositions remind me of shel silverstein.. thats a really nice watercolor of the shoes...i love the way you did the pants.. any plans of moving back to the bay once you're done with school?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the whole leaves thing you got going, that last one with the tank ist dope as hell! I'd love to see a higher res version of that one. Good stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time for an update, Charlie! Hook us up!! How are things going for ya? My senior show opens tomorrow so people can make fun of my shit hanging on the walls. Heh. Make sure you post pics of your exhibit. That tank looks really tight. But I want more! I'm not happy with these tiny updates. Time for a massive one. Break out the ballpoints and get poppin' bro. Any word on MTL yet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CBURT: There's some amazing work here. Can't wait to see more! Very into your pencil work but those inks and watercolour images are really nice.

Deselect
    עקיבא
    http://sixthirteendesign.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow..those leaf/pattern projects look very ...anal, musta been a bitch.
    They come together nicely, my fav is the composition of the watercolor legs on the left. looks really good. you done with school? congrats!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool work, the legs in watercolor was great!
    Awesome rendering in the tank pic too.
    moremore!
    tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time to start updatin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the feet in watercolour, i've been trying to play around with watercolour a bit but it always turns out so messy and blah. i also simply adore all your leaf pictures, i don't think i would every have the patience to put them all in; the perennial problem with my work, so i deeply admire anyone who can...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.