Male Upper Body

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Male Upper Body

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Male Upper Body

Hallo,

this is my first approach on shading. I'm a beginner and only did some linedrawing before.
    I need some critique and tips.

Reference: http://www.deviantart.com/view/15285475/

Male Upper Body

Higher resolution [860kb] (temporary)
    http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0425863/...torso-high.jpg

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doesn't look too bad for a first attempt. In terms of the shading, the main thing I'd say is to try and keep thinkg more regular. The lines you're using to shade things seem to be scribbled on rather than added systematically. On the otehr hand though, you've obviously tried to have the shading follow the contours of the body, which is a good thing.

In terms of accuracy, if you look at the reference the body is sloped from one side to the other, but with yours the muscles on the stomach go straight down. The nipples are also sloped, when in the original they slope slightly in the other direction.

Keep practicing though, you're doing a good job so far. Try drawing from life too if you can, since that's better for learning than photographs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Big Dave here. Great first attempt! And the above comments about mark-making are also on the money.

I know this was the first one- so I don't want to be too critical. But you should use the values to describe the form of the figure. There should be consistency in this. Meaning down planes share a similar value, front planes share a similar value, top planes share a similar value, etc., etc. You should strive to do this in every drawin. It will take awhile to get it, but once you do ..............the world is your oyster.

The proportions are really good, by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your replys.
    I have big troubles drawing the values as I want them, espacially the light tones a very hard for me.
    Today I drew another one but it turned out very bad, so there's no need to show it here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eremit
    Thanks for your replys.
    I have big troubles drawing the values as I want them, espacially the light tones a very hard for me.
    Today I drew another one but it turned out very bad, so there's no need to show it here
    Might help if you start with something easier, say a male torso under a strong, single light source. I reckon it's easier to discern differing light values with your eyes that way. Then you can gradually move up in complexity as you get more confident.

You proportion and general form looks really good though, like what Carl-Dobsky said.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.