Getting brush library to load (painter 7)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please forgive me if this question has been asked and anwsered a million times before me. I looked through the forums and was unable to find anything that would help me so I'm just going to ask, I'm desperate. I have painter 7 and I'm trying to load a brush library, i swear it worked before, the format is '.xml' to me it seems like painter 7 does not support it although the insallation guide says that it does.

Can anyone help shed some light for me?

punch you in the eye
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX all use .XML as the format for brush variants.

It'll help if you can tell us exactly what you have.

If all you have is one .XML file, that's not a brush library. It's a single brush variant file and it will need to be placed in a brush category folder that's inside a brush library folder.

All Painter 7 brush libraries must be in the following folder so Painter can find them when you use the Load Library command (at the bottom of the brush category list):

Windows - Program Files > Painter 7 > Brushes

Mac - Applications > Painter 7 > Brushes

What would be even better is for you to tell us where you downloaded the brush variant (or brush category, or brush library) so we can download it too and see exactly what's there, then tell you exactly where it needs to be placed.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jinny,
    Thanks for your reply!
    The brushes I'm trying to load are the one and only Don Seegmiller's, which I accually aquired a while ago directly from him (no really in person, cool guy, harsh on the crit tho) but I don't know where to get them online.

Basicly it's a bunch of .xml files along with some .jpg and two .db files named 'thumbs' I extracted them into the brushes folder and there is a folder called Don's brushes. When I try to load the brush library it will only look for .brs files so the .xml won't show. Am I just putting them into the wrong folder maybe?

Thanks so much for your help!

hamb6960

punch you in the eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hamb6960,

Here's what I have for Don's Painter 7 brush library:

Program Files
    ...Painter 7
    ......Brushes (folder where all brush libraries must be for Painter 7 to find them)
    .........DONS BRUSHES (brush library folder)
    ............Don (brush category folder)
    ............Don.jpg (brush category icon image file)
    ..................XML brush variant files
    ..................JPG Captured Dab image files (only for Captured Dab brush variants)

Here's a screen print that shows the folder and file hierarchy (but, since the brush category folder is open, it doesn't show the .Don.JPG brush category icon image file which is located at the same level as the Don brush category folder, inside the DONS BRUSHES brush library folder):

Your brush library may contain different brush variants but the folder and file structure should be the same so Painter 7 can find the brush library and load it when you use the Load Library command.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin,

Thanks again for your reply.

Everything I see how your files are set up looks the same in my files, all set up the same in all the right places.

Could it be that I don't know how to import the library correctly?

First I go to the brushes palette then I click on the brush dropdown menu on the upper left of the palette. I get the options:
    auto build brush
    new brush...
    import brush library
    brush looks
    I choose import brush library of course. I then get a browse menu so that I can find don's brush folder, here is the part I don't understand, nothing shows up in the file named don's brushes or the file named don because it will only let me view or load '.brs'

So I try to change the file type at the bottom of the browse menu under file name. I scroll down to find that the only available option is 'Brush lib's [*.brs]'

I have even been into the general preferences where it says Libraries and changed it to 'PAINTER.XML' but still no luck.

punch you in the eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I think you've given me enough information now to see what's happening.

First, do this:

In Edit > Preferences > General, in the upper right corner of the dialog box under Libraries > Brushes, type PAINTER.BRS (not Painter.xml).

To explain a little:

PAINTER.BRS was the default Painter brush library file for Painter 6 and earlier versions when the entire brush library was contained in a single file. Other Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries, on the Painter CD, from third party Painter book CD's and custom brush libraries shared by Painter users all used the same .BRS extension though the file names would be different. For instance, Painter5_5.BRS, or one of my custom brush libraries might have been named Jinnys_Favorites.BRS.

Those older version brush libraries have to be IMPORTed into Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX which means they need to be automatically converted by Painter 7, 8, or IX to folders and .XML brush variant files and placed in the appropriate location so Painter 7, 8, and IX can find them when you use the Load Library command and they'll work in Painter 7, 8, and IX.

Painter 7, 8, and IX brush libraries are already organized in folders and .XML files so they don't need to be IMPORTed and we can just use the Load Library command to LOAD them into Painter 7, 8, or IX.

To LOAD a Painter 7 Brush Library into Painter 7:

1. Go to the Brushes palette.

2. At the bottom of the Brush Category list (where you choose a brush category, for instance Airbrushes), click the Load Library command. The Brush Libraries dialog box opens.

3. Highlight the name of the brush library you want to load.

4. Click the LOAD button and your brush library is loaded and ready to use.

5. When you want to load another brush library, repeat Steps 1 through 4.

To IMPORT a Painter 6 or earlier version Brush Library into Painter 7:

1. Go to the Brushes palette.

2. At the bottom of the Brush Category list (where you choose a brush category, for instance Airbrushes), click the Load Library command. The Brush Libraries dialog box opens.

3. Click the IMPORT button, locate the .BRS brush library file you want to load, and click the Open button.

Wait while Painter 7 converts the .BRS brush library file to folders and .XML files and places them in the appropriate location.

5. When the brush library name appears in the Brush Libraries dialog box list, highlight the name of the brush library you want to load.

6. Click the LOAD button and your brush library is loaded and ready to use.

7. When you want to load another Painter 6 or earlier version brush library, repeat Steps 1 through 6.

Corel Painter 7 screen prints are © 2001 Corel Corporation, reprinted by permission.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES!!!!!! Got it! Jin, you are the best!
    I can't even tell you how thankful I am for your selfless help, and god like knowledge of painter. I learned tons. I am forever in your debt. Man I really owe you! My next piece is dedicated to you. (not that it's cool or anything)

hamb6960

punch you in the eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hamb6960,

That's great to hear! I'm happy it helped you. Truth is, you figured out where the problem was (using the Brushes palette's Brush menu instead of the brush category list's Load Library command). It was teamwork that got it solved, so thanks for being determined and thinking about what might be going wrong.

I'm sure your next piece will be great too... and very cool. Thanks for dedicating it to me. Now you're gonna have to show it to us.

Happy Painting!

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.