i have along ways to go..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: i have along ways to go..

Hybrid View

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

i have along ways to go..

k i think i need some tips and opinions
    this is pretty much complete but i want it ripped apart(respectively). I would say i went from using ideas from andrew jones to coloring a tad like dodowa....

oh yeah... the left of the page is/was suppose to be the front, but some people have said the other side looks like it could be the front too

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, nice drawing.

It does look like the right-hand side is the front in my oppinion. I think there's two reasons for this:
    1. That end is very much shaped like an insect-head.
    2. That end is a bit more detailed than the left-hand end.

If I were an art-director on a project and recieved this scetch I'd ask what it looked like with longer legs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your grasp of lighting and contrast is impressive as always. In fact, as far as technique goes your stuff is looking really great; at least, I can't see anything wrong with it that you need to correct. Something I would like to see for this is some sort of context - it looks sort of ambiguous to me, I can see it as an ocean creature, an insect, a machine construct even. Add some details to try and swing it either more organic or more mechanical. I think the best way to do this would be to add texture and fine detail like the way his legs look. go wild and loose and expressive to make it look more natural, right now it looks too smooth to really be an animal of some kind. conversely, clean up its lines and add some relatively precise little details and it could be a really cool looking alien craft. Likewise, right now the symmetry of the legs and the stiffness of the antenna contribute to the machine aspect - If you want to get away from that, add some randomness, some curvy motion.

Something else I notice that sort of goes along with what I said about the smoothness is that there isn't a lot of variety of surface, I think it could use some hard and soft textures - a hardened chitinous carapace or scarred armor, and soft fleshy bits near the midsection and especially the angler light antennae thing ( that especially to me looks rather stiff but my reasoning tells me it's supposed to look fluid and, umm, 'tentacly' (???)).

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if the rear is angled away from the user maybey you could try blurring it slightly or greying out the colours to give the illusion of distance. Personally I thought the left was the front, but I can see why people would think the right was.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Linker, understood

Nimrod, i'm always having trouble with texture, it's no doubt something i need to push further in my work, great comment about the symetrics of the "claws", they really do need to be more organic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff. always like the style you bring. but I think it needs "functionality".the blue reflection on the underside makes me think that it is supposed to fly. but it has no wings or other means of propulsion...or if it is a land based organism -I'd say it needs more sturdy legs. or more legs, cuase it sorta seems reminiscient of a prawn. but over all, its seems so ridgid, especially the tail, needs segments or joints or something. if it was gonna move itself think it would have a rough time. but Nimrod said it, more detail should be added to make it either organic or machine.
    - and keep up the cool lighting and highlights

Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a really nice painting..I think the lighting is just great, especially the rim light underneath. For me, the scale is very ambiguous. I think a little texture or detail is all you need to show the scale. It doesn't have to be much, could be a few fly-like hairs on it's leg or an airlock door in the side

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we need a bit of background to crit this effectively. You say it's almost finished, but don't give us any idea of what it is or what it does, how it moves etc.

I love your painting style. Everthing looks chunky and yet detailed. I think you need to plan your ultimate destination when you start the piece. As has been mentioned, propulsion and location are unknown factors which would have an impact on the piece. Again detail would be important, and a splash of colour would be nice. If it's organic, look at exotic insects, if technological, use industrial machinery or aerospace stuff as references.

Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It is that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember as certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps 4 and 5 times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps 20. And yet it all seems limitless.

-- Paul Bowles
    The Sheltering Sky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also think it might look cool with more legs...

*skittery-skittery*

Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It is that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember as certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps 4 and 5 times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps 20. And yet it all seems limitless.

-- Paul Bowles
    The Sheltering Sky

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.