E.O.W Round 17: Badland Bastion

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for the best one!

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chuck,mate.

1 2.00%
  • chaosrocks

0 0%
  • rawwad

13 26.00%
  • Ben powis

2 4.00%
  • sketchling

16 32.00%
  • Badger

0 0%
  • Jonoy

2 4.00%
  • koshime

16 32.00%
  • Orion9289

0 0%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 17: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC: Badland Bastion

Deadline For Voting: Monday 1st March

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

posting thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck,mate.
    guarding the west parts of Adiria, this bastion of mages up on the hills of this badland, inhabits a powerful and wise clan, feared and respected by the commoners.

chaosrocks
    The last outpost
    built to span the Dunya chasm and provide the only trade route in to the buttes. There is water deep in the chasm to be brought up in to the tower. It is the last water for vast miles. Fortified to emphasisse the controll of the water, the tolls are heavy and there is no way around.

rawwad
    After chemical war we must build huge bastions which protect ours from snares of badland. "Badland" is place which was been most hiten by chemical and atomic weapons. Everything which was been hiten mutate and became very dangerous.

Ben powis
    The deepest secrets of this world are hidden in its darkest, most dangerous folds.
    The ancient plateau city of Krag'l'dar was cursed many centuries ago, when its own fire and earth were turned against it by wicked magic, in a time of Great war, by the undead hands of the Underland Warlocks. Eroding the city day by day, the denizens were unable to escape and could only watch helplessly as their city slipped into the fire, enclosing on them day by day - sealing their doom, their anger and their pain. The fires still burn, the earth still shakes, but one tower from this ancient city still stands atop the desolate charred rock...

sketchling
    The badlands of the mi'elie were a famous haunt of the dregs of Contsh society. For some reason they flocked to the few remaining bastions of depravity in the wastes... despite the harsh conditions. The upper classes scorned them in public, yet in private, many were frequent patrons of their infamous delights.

Badger
    Out in the badlands of Meadak.4 another bastion rests, this one big enough for refueling and re-armament. The bastions run as a ring around the edge of the hyper city, each within visual range of each other for added security. Men are always on guard, ready tolight the beacon to warn of coming attack. Many of them remain only partially built as heavy building work attracts the sandworms.

Jonoy
    Only one viable trail leads in and out of the Cerulena desert, it is known as Hnarones valley. Named after the batallion leader Capt. Diosclese Hnarones who successfully managed to instigate, protect and build bastion towers upon the erroded cliffs at the edge of the valley that afforded covering fire against the nomadic raiders who would frequently attack and pillage the once small, yet now prospering village of Hellion's Well that nestles within the cliffs footing and between the two bastions cover of fire. The natural well-spring within the village offers the only watersource for many leagues and was a necessity of ownership in the strive north into the desert and the lands beyond.

koshime
    I envisioned an enviromental waste plant/habour built within a vast badlands, where inorganic rock formation and insectoid race now inhabit and a toxic waterfall and river now flow
    ¨

Orion9282
    Description
    The badland bastion is a highly fortified cavernous structure that is erected into the desolate badlands. The inhabitants are rarely seen, being a very secretive people. Their paranoia has cut them off from the civilized world, and their architecture reflects a war-like mindset. Always afraid of invasion, their past is full of many conquerors.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I vote for Koshime... but this voting forum dont have no voting poll-box...

"Go on man, FEED THE PAPER!!!" - Bjorn Hurri
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog (actually updated!)
    My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    umm sketchling i can see the voting poll at the top....

<___< maybe the forums are fucked up?

and im really sorry about the delay guys, i have SO much work

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i correspondingly voted for Sketchling. Becasue i love the execution of style, perspective, atmospher that appears simple and yet (pleasing to the eye). You get my vote

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having a really hard time choosing between Sketchling and Koshime.

While I found Sketchlings more visually pleasing I decided I liked Koshime concept better. Seriously hard call tho.

Phillip. Designer, web developer and artist.
    Check out my website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    koshime, your entry is stunning. You should consider giving up your day job, though your patients might not appreciate it Beautiful work. You've got my vote.
    All the best...

2medusa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    koshime got my vote this round but it was tight.

sketchling-a nice painting but would have like to have seen more-maybe some windows, fortifictations, vehicles, etc...details, details, details.

rawwd-beautiful painting but would like to see a ground or something that conveys scale other than the use of perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah..im fuzzy on details Tend to use atmosphere to cover the fact. working on it!

rawwd : I agree.. great painting but doesnt really have a scene that conveys the badland concept much.

"Go on man, FEED THE PAPER!!!" - Bjorn Hurri
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog (actually updated!)
    My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Sketchling. When I think of what the badlands are, I think Sketchling captured that feel the best. I think that one of the most important questions one can ask themselves when they're finished with a concept is, "Is this appropriate to the topic requested, or could my sketch have a different title and be anything/anywhere?"

So, what I mean is, I love Koshime's rendering and composition, but I don't think it's as "Badland Bastion" specific as Sketchling's. Hopefully that makes sense?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketchling gets mine i liked it the most

my other favs were rawwad, ben powis, koshime, and Orion9282

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for sketchling. The concept is nice and the mood he had conveyed is wonderful. Ben powis's entry is also very interesting, stylistically different as it is, as well as having a very good story.

The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketchling- just a nice iconic layout with the moon, central tower and ravine in the foreground. trickey hint of blue too...

Only losers have signatures

woodz Gallery
    cgsociety

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted Scetchling.. as Iwent throught e images I wrote down my first impression of each. I may be influenced by the "pretty picture:" but I tried to bear in mind the description...(did we have one?).... and please be assured I am aware mine is the least convincing of the lot

Chuck—I like this, though I think It could be stronger less fuzzy and monochromatic

Chaos- your Bastion is totally lacking in detail though the use of traditional paint media imakes a fairly effective badlands. You’re a coward and a hack and have no business associating with these fine artists

RawwaD
    The bastion part is gorgeous…where’s the badlands?

Ben – I like yours, they have a good starkness of African termite hill about them. although the back ground snaky things are a little odd

Sketchling—what can I say…. Nice….very nice

Badger- it’s a very literal depiction of the description, I dunno there’s something about the floaty ship that seems odd

Jonoy— why did we all choose orange? I really have a toss up between yours and sketchlings

Koshime---- a magnificent and convincing scene, but it all looks abandoned…if there’s a bastion there, its abandoned….very beautiful.. but lonely and un-inhabited

Orion- again the blurry atmosphere… while setting a scene makes me want to clean my glasses

respectfully submitted
    Chaosrocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was a tough one between Sketchling, Koshime and Orion. I went with Koshime in the end, since the enviro typified the 'Badlands' essence, though I would have like to see some more of the bastion. Good work guys,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for rawwad because the execution was simply too good to ignore.

I really wanted to give it to Koshime, but that arch in the forground isn't working for me. Since it doesn't seem to attatch to anything on either side, I have a hard time telling where it is exactly within the space making the scale difficult to read. Because of this my eye wants to run off the right side of the piece and down to the next image. I think if you just anchored it to that dark structure on the bottom left it would make sense and it would create a path for the viewer to follow into the environment.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.