C.O.W. - #038: Portal Opener - VOTING!!! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav regarding the topic!

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • ceberae

9 6.72%
  • Jonoy

1 0.75%
  • MichaelMotion

4 2.99%
  • Hookswords

0 0%
  • JakkaS

29 21.64%
  • Chuck,mate.

8 5.97%
  • thefultron

2 1.49%
  • Pawige

0 0%
  • MIKECORRIERO

10 7.46%
  • Stephan_R

10 7.46%
  • depleteD

2 1.49%
  • Soulweaver

0 0%
  • walnut

0 0%
  • Erilaz

0 0%
  • young paddy1

0 0%
  • complete2

5 3.73%
  • Standing

9 6.72%
  • Orion9282

27 20.15%
  • Nexus

0 0%
  • Mitze

0 0%
  • flatliner

0 0%
  • romance

16 11.94%
  • digitalfly

1 0.75%
  • misledtomisery

1 0.75%
  • _Urchin_

0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #038: Portal Opener - VOTING!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chuck Mate got my vote. I love the simplicity of the design and colour. It also feels very alien. The thing reminds me of a critter called the Golden Wheel Spider or some such which cartwheels down sand dunes.

Stephen R - Great creature with loads of character. Good to see something whimsical.

Fozzybar - Sweet render, nice design, lots of character

Jakkas - Great design and render, tons of atmosphere

Romance - Great render. The textures are really strong.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops! I meant Orion9282. Saw Fozzy's name just above it and got confused.

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Jonoy, I love the back story and the fact that this poor thing has to hurt itself to accomplish such a mighty act as opening a portal.

"You may have noticed my brain is no longer pristine." - Spider Jerusalem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im giving it to stehpan R...that guy is so fuckin rad...made me laugh the second i looked at it. nice execution to boot.

Orion had the next best because his seemed like it had a really cool story to the concept. Really profesional looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

nice work all

Romance - thanks for the vote - and for the compliment!
    I absolutely hated my entry by the time it was finished though and decided to repaint it - if anyone cares to see the newer version and tell me what you reckon, go to
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62136
    Anyway, thanks again for the compliment - yours was brilliant btw and a very close second (IMHO) to Orion, who came out gangbusters for a first entry.
    I loved the practical application for the portal - top idea and rendered with such intuitive marks and colours, exactly what is lacking in my own work!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

www.jonathanstanding.com

See the sights!
    Check out environment of the week - it's top!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Romance gets my vote. I just stared at that thing for minutes. The concept was interesting, original, and well written.

Shawn Adomanis
    www.shawnadomanis.com
    Sketchbook

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" Ė The Wizard of Oz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by complete2
    yeah, jakkas's piece was killer, but it wasn't the best. no offence to jakkas, but i dont think it was the best for a lot of reasons...reasons that i cant go into right now because my boss is watching me type this.
    My entry is the best! Man, you just donít understand the REAL art! Now I have to shot you! Hehehe [joke <---- now you can laugh]

I am happy that someone likes my work so much that say it is the best! However, I know I am not the best. I am far away from that.

In every COW I think "this" entry is the best, and you guys chose for the best completely different one. Really, I do not know why some works wins and some does not. However, every week I usually have same problem. Which one to chose?

Complete2, it has to by fun, so calm down.
    Fozz, thanks for the voice of reason.
    LadyHydralisk and Zeitwolf, thanks!
    For the comments and votes BIG THANKS!

Cheers!
    Kuba

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted romance's creature: Liked the overall design and the piece was visually appealing to me than the rest, im sold. Only crit was i wish you could have incorporated a lil more of a scene in the backround. Perhaps maybe the interiors of a direlect apartment building to illustrate your discription of the setting.

Great stuff guys keep up the awesome work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt join this one as I was too late in discovering this very interesting idea. It was a tough decision to make, as there were some real smashing work! But Orion9282's concept layout, the idea, the beautiful colour palatte has to win me over. Great work Orion9282, and all the others.

When i first came here i voted for the best rendered no matter what, then i changed to most sutible to the description. Now its just what i like which was Stephan_R. Ones i wish i could have voted for too are romance and JakkaS. I feel a bit guilty for not voting MIKECORRIERO as i think I subconscious judge his work not only what is there but on all his previous entries as well and his blood splattered carnage was better anyway now that i am aware of that i will stop it.

Mitze work on a more complex design...i mean vines...come oooooon
    It was part of a floating whale like thing in the desert. But it looked too much like that thing that warps space in Dune. So i cropped the dimension-making bit off and in a quick patch job made vines out of it. Sorry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man...i totally don't get the vote for yourself bs.
    orion9282 - i'm losing respect for ya...even though i liked your work.

mikec - don't bail buddy....if you enjoy it and benefit from COWs, then that's all that matters, no one else can make you feel differently.

foz - how about a bitch slap notice in the rules stating 'absolutely no self voting'?

cheers,
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jakkas...Fantastic!

EDIT-
    Sorry, I voted for Jakkas, but I relooked, and meant to do digitalfly, really overlooked entry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyyy, i voted for myself on my first cow because i didn't realize what was up.
    now i know

im sure orion realizes whats up now. this isn't REALLY a contest to see whose best.
    its more of an oportunity to explain WHY you voted for who you voted for.
    when i realized that on the last cow i wanted to take back my vote and give it to someone else.
    no need to lose respect for him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess the comment of 'why ask why?' enters here because I wonder why anyone would want to vote for their own work. It just seems &#252;ber selfish. But then again...'why ask why?'

Cheers!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why?
    maybe becuase its your first cow and you wanna "WIN" not realizing that its not about winning or losing.
    and in my first cow thats what i thought it was, then i read fozz's post about critiquing and explaining why you voted for who you voted for, and i saw everyone else voting for other people, it made me feel like shit. i realized that it wasn't about winning or losing.
    i guess its just a competetive part of me trying to come out.... "i gotta win!!!"
    now i dont care how many votes i get, i'm skimming through the thread looking for critiques.
    in fact, i dont even know how im doing in the polls this time around, i haven't even looked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mike - since you're talkin' about your portfolio - I just wanna give you MAJOR props for getting into the Ballistic 'Painter' book. Your piece from the LMS Tdome looks great in print, mate.
    Congrats!!

Cheers,
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Vote went to Romance. His entry made me wow out loud. Love the maggoty eyes! And the different textures on it, really nice tutch

JakkaS- Nince nice~ Like your choise of color
    Chuck,mate.- Ooh~ Prettyful lights and nice colors
    Stephan_R- That made me giggle , Like how it seems to open postals just for its pure curiosity or sense of exploring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yes. i got the book and love it. soft bound (cheapo me), but it's good inspiration throughout!
    congrats again.
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote went to standing, good, solid idea, beautifully painted.

k

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I reduced Orions vote count by -1....his vote is not relevant, and i am playing with the thought of giving 1 point to the artist whose entry is second at the end

complete2 hehe....now i understand what you thought at the first time when you voted for yourself, i understand it better now, if the voters wouldnt show it's something which makes sense...but it SHOWS!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA...yeah...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya, I think the reason I participated is because it's nice to be given a subject just to get myself working rather than sitting there thinking up what I don't have the skill to draw yet. All these topics are way too ambitious for me at this point, but it's a great excuse to reach beyond what I would normally be doing. The competition aspect of it just lights a further fire under my butt to push myself further cause I know I'm serving baloney sammiches at the steak cookoff. Sure it's not steak, but I'm getting better at baloney

Um that was an odd analogy. I blame robitussin.

First you jump off the cliff and you build wings on the way down.
    --Ray Bradbury
    http://urchinator.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet foz. sweet.

_urchin_ - i like bologna! good for you.

(shit...now i'm humming the theme song from oscar meyer bologna theme song!)
    and just so you can allllll sing along with me:

My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R, my bologna has a second name it's M-E-Y-E-R. I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll say..'cause Oscar Meyer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A.

hell yeah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feel free to join my group Dave, it's delicious.

The Oscar Mayer Militia

Holy crap, where did all those votes for mine come from?

Thanks to all who's voted for me, your support is greatly appreciated.

Standing - I prefer this version of your space slug. It's reads a helluva lot better. I'm glad you entered it.

Kresh - Thanks for the vote. I've been trying to stay away from putting COW's and CHOW's in backgrounds. To me it wastes time that could be spent designing the creature and futher rendering it. Sure it's nice to see the creatures in their environment, but as concept art, I feel the entries should be able to stand out on their own despite what's behind them.

Last edited by romance; February 22nd, 2006 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for jakkas cause its just freakin NEAT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simonl: I'm glad you enjoyed it, and felt it was whimsical. That's exactly the response I wanted.

death_jargin: THANKS! I laughed when it first popped into my head too, and just had to see what it'd turn out like.

Mitze: It feels really good to see there's a lot that enjoyed mine, and a few even enjoyed enough to ues a vote on it. I approached the contest knowing I cannot yet render like most here, or always think up a concept that fits dead on. I liked the idea too.

Lady_Medusa: Again, totally worth any effort I put into the idea because I got a smile from you and several others. It'll definitely be my goal to keep it up, thank you.

I feel compelled to work harder now, to follow the description and render further. Thanks all, this is a fun process!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks, and Whoa!

First, thanks to all the people that voted for me so far... It's flattering, and I didn't expect such a good response to it. Also... in Complete2's comment on why he voted:

i love the idea of the portal being used as a device for gathering food, but not in a violent way.... just a creature that minds his own buisness, gathers his nuts, "portals" them back to his home, doesn't try to hurt anyone or anything. but of course, something that cool, we'd have to exploit it and try to use it to our advantage.

You nailed my thoughts right on the head when I was developing this creature. I kept trying to reason why a creature would have a portal in the first place... it didn't make sense to me for it to always be a tool for violence, and animals/creatures aren't always smart enough to be so malicious with their abilities. So, thanks again.

Secondly, WHOA (about the whole voting fiasco)!

Complete2 nailed my thoughts right on the head again, and I feel foolish. I understand now. I'm not voting for mine in the Enviro Design (voted for sketchling), and I get it. Sorry that I offended anyone out there.

Redehlert, please don't lose respect so fast! Beginner's mistake!

And Mike, I was one of the first persons to vote, and did it because I didn't expect many people to vote for mine anyways (check out the Badland Bastion entries... Orion=no votes ). I didn't think that it would have much impact, nor be such a topic for discussion! I understand your surprise, though do you think that there might have been a better way to bring it to my attention? Sorry again.

Last edited by Orion9282; February 22nd, 2006 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks MC

Mike,

Thanks for the apology...

And yeah, it wasn't a surprise that it was brought up... I was remorseful for the majority of the week and have felt pretty shitty. I didn't say anything because I didn't know how to bring it up, being the new guy, I guess I was too shy.

I've been resisting the urge to continually post apologies this evening. Had I acted on impulse, this thread would be three pages longer filled with my "sorry sorry sorry" messages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After much consideration I had to vote for Mike C, a great concept and a very appealing presentation. It was a hard choice, since there were so many great entries. Special mention has to go to MichaelMotion, both his written description and presentation made me giggle like mad (like? )

The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ppl!
    Lots of nice works!!
    - first time voting -

I've voted for Stephan_R cause its originality, while almost everybody was doing some evil or dark creature, i like this one being more in the funny mood, and its simplicity. Ilove the guy's pipe

I'm gonna try to criticize all the entries later (there are a LOT, and im sleepy now...)

Congrats all ya guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well now i feel shitty....he wasn't a dick to me in the last cow.
    does that mean you dont care about me mike?

haha

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.