Sketchbook: For your self-esteem

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

For your self-esteem

My first post.... BLAAAAAAHH *nothing matters* Blaaaaaahh *spewing of words*. Took out worthless stuff, too big, too old, unhelpful.
    Need massive crits, NOW!

Last edited by SpazzoLemealn_99; March 1st, 2006 at 12:51 AM.
    not affiliated and not worth your time. dead as of april
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your lines don't have much variation in value, don't be afraid to make stronger marks where they might be needed, and lighter ones where those would be appropriate. It's hard to comment on much because so many of your pics are old (honestly there's not much point critting something from 5 years ago). Upload some more recent things!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yay me

im officially 18. woots, drinks on me... shit, 3 yrs to go.
    all i had time for so far this week. i have cut all the gaming time out of my schedule and decided that drawing is more constructive, will have more by sun. plz tell me what u think is wrong with faces and maybe ill get better ones goin. wanted to see what faces would turn out to be in 30 sec, all are no ref and dont even ask about the dude's hood.
    For your self-esteem
    Line values comment dually noted, that would help to bring value like u said, promise more by sun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, at this stage you're probably better off working more with ref than without, and from life as much as you can. Get a mirror and do some self portraits. Remember that you should be looking at your paper 1/4 of the time and looking at your subject 3/4 (or even more). The faces you've done there are very much drawing symbols rather than how they appear in real life, because you haven't studied the face - check out Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm gonna tell you what my mentor (or one of them told me): try not to focus so much on the shadows of your drawings but instead to focus on the shapes, and the way they look. If the shapes are well done, the shadows are a piece of cake, more of an exercise than anything else. Try do draw an apple placed in front of you, or something like that...and draw not form imagination, but from what u see (models). I made that mistake at first. And don't draw from photographs, as they allready have the proportions set up. U got to figure them out for ypur self. I hope this helps, and keep it up. Don't be discouraged, and draw daily. Courage is the key...and of course ambition and training.

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

blech

I hate self-portraits, staring at my face for that long is depressing lol. but ill get one done by sat evening. i dont have apples but an orange and banana would work? i know the faces were extremely off, just was told to post EVERYTHING, i def need to work on what im seeing rather than what i think im seeing. Out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For your self-esteem
    You can tell how i feel about the banana. he will taste good though.
    For your self-esteem
    No justice
    For your self-esteem
    hate self portraits, may add shades later.
    SATs suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks good, but avoid as much as possible outlining face features. Instead, just play with values and their contrast.
    Anyway, keep practicing, and if you dont see any improvement, then its a good sign

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Recursive_End
    It looks good, but avoid as much as possible outlining face features. Instead, just play with values and their contrast.
    Anyway, keep practicing, and if you dont see any improvement, then its a good sign
    The only way i could see no imporvement as a good sign would be that i wouldn't continue drawing and wasting graphite, erasers and paper. waste not want though. scanner out of comission but will have portrait with values by mon night hopefully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazzoLemealn_99
    The only way i could see no imporvement as a good sign would be that i wouldn't continue drawing and wasting graphite, erasers and paper. waste not want though. scanner out of comission but will have portrait with values by mon night hopefully.
    No, man. If *you* don't see improvement then that means you are drawing a lot. You need to draw...a lot. Get in as much practice as you can. Grab an anatomy book, but first...pick up Drawing on the RIght Side of the Brain. That should help you break out of drawing symbols.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Spazzo!
    I didnt mean to discourage you, just wanna help you out.
    I know the beginning is pretty hard, but don't give up. The more you draw, the less you'll want to leave your pencil. Just keep practicing. If you begin at a point to hate yourself, just relaxe, empty your head, watch a movie, go walk in a park, whatever you want. Fill your days.
    Anyway, hope you'll keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Right

Van: I get it now, thnx. picked up right side of the brain a little bit ago, very interesting so far.
    Recursive: Discouraged? I thought you were joking. from the dif threads ive read in here i didnt think anyone around was capable of negativity lol. but i understand now so thnx for the insight. I dont make a point of hating myself or my drawings, i am simply keeping away from any sort of ego(have you seen the stuff people post here?damn). I am currently home-schooled, the SATs are on April 1st and i have 1/2 a year of schooling to get done by then. so between school study and sleep, i get 2 maybe 3 hrs for myself which is then divided into studying anatomy(for chiropractic college, so just names location and function), drawing or just relaxing(video games are a tough habit to break). I know the key to getting better at anything is that you do it more often, but my time is what i have. drawing has always been alot of fun even if i was never the greatest, so ill post as much as i can with the time i have. i have just received an art anatomy book from my mother(who has omitted its existence all this time) dont know how much it will help but we'll find out soon enough. keep the stuff comin guys...
    For your self-esteem
    Well, i declare it done. not because its good, but because im done. theres alot wrong with what is below my lips, and the eye to the right, and i exaggerated some values and under-played some.
    For your self-esteem
    A bit of fun after the portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alrighty, i need some names for some nice anatomy books, were going up to portland on wed and i figure they have big book stores so ill find some.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yes, there will be blood...

I am currently working on this drawing, took the basic idea from a song by Arch Enemy(A European metal band whom i highly rec) called End of the Line. If u check the lyrics they say: Welcome to the circus.... ....You sold your soul for a better life, your better off dead.... ....You'll be amused by the things we do to you, but in the bitter end the clown is you.... So i basically took the freaky puppet from saw and modified him a bit, made him accepting the sacrifice of the man's soul. I want the end product to be very dark, and the puppet doesn't quite look menacing enough(larger eyes? sharper edges?). Anyway, by tommorow morning i hope to be done with the contours and make it look nice.
    For your self-esteem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a good idea. Maybe you could give him a more pointy nose. Dunno what else i can say, its your drawing
    About the books, there's loomis, bridgeman and Hogarth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see some improvement, and keep drawing more of that banana thinggy pic u drew. That's well done, i can sense by looking at it that it has space in it. I mean perspective. That's very nice, keep at it.

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawings, but the scans/photos seem to blur the lines a bit. You have minor proportional problems but you are defiantely off to a good start. I'll wait until you post a few more to give a lengthy crit, but the ones here are pretty good man

TREVOR HENRY ARTIST, PHOTOGRAPHER AND WEB DESIGNER

Mediasoldier | Trevor Henry Photoblog | Lowopacity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i have to bring the darkness way down when i scan. i have a 2.4 mega pixel camera, but my dad loaned it out without asking, so untill then i gotta deal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there =) thnx for dropping by my sketchbook! Your head anatomy has improved a lot! The puppet should have sharper eyes and a slightly slimer nose imo...maybe a scary "i'm going to kill you" grin...just some opinions! Very clean contours so far. Looking forward to more wip!

-dz

[B]Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arch enemy!!
    You could make the puppet more menacing by making the eyes bigger, or the eyebrows more pronounced, or get some charcoal and make a really strong lighting from below (just suggestions?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good!
    I like the rendering on the self portrait.
    Study that anatomy book in depth. Try to learn the structure and volume of muscles and bones. Analyze. Construct. I have understood that form is much more important then shape.
    Keep it up!

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice sketchbook, I agree with artificial greens comment about the eyes of the puppet. I would like to see some more expression and maybe different angles of your self-portraits, that will help you a lot more than drawing the same thing each time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Creepy puppet: yeah, a more chilling grin, i slimmed the nose, and i'll bring the nose to a narrow point. im not so sure about charcoal though, im not brave enough yet.
    Hoping i would find somone who knows arch enemy, the other inspirating songs i wanna work on are... too many and Soilwork sets me off too.
    the self portrait is a single thing, simply took out contours and used(or tried) values, maybe ill do another with diff expression & angle...
    the anatomy book my mother got me was... crap. all like third and fourth hand copies of master's work! not alot of form left to them. but some of the skeletals are still good so ill study those until my loomis books come in the mail.
    my bro's comp is tweakin and that is where the scanner is, he wont move it so i have to wait till my camera gets back sry, but prob a nice big post then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    recursive said earlier that the more you draw the less you'll wanna put down the pencil. TRUE. i have been drawing alot lately, but this is bad, no sleep, no study, and big SATs and Grad tests april 1. starting to feel some anxiety and its affecting my drawing. i dont pass tests i get busted big time, so im closing myself off to this thread and drawing until april. i wont post too much of my stuff because then ill wanna come back and see what u guys crit. so heres some more or less unimportant stuff. to my ssg, if u wanna kick me cuz ill be gone for that long, no harm no foul, all good.
    lost interest in puppet for a bit then did this stuff yesterday, mind goin crazy over deadlines n stuff.
    For your self-esteem
    Chinese, top means demon, right is hate, left jealousy. like this concept too much to leave it like this, will have a completed version in april, think the puppet needs friends...
    For your self-esteem
    was looking at pad from shallow angle, skull a bit oblong
    For your self-esteem
    supposed to be squeezed banana.
    see ya in april, then 5 long months of straight drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what i would sugest is that you buy constructive anatomy for the artist by bridgman. it will help you a lot and it is fairly reasonably if you buy it on-line.
    be sure to get the constructive anatomy and not Bridgman's complete guide to drawing from life it is poorly assembled.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Unbreakable with this one, bridgeman would definitely improve your construction and your structure of faces.

Check Us Out!!!

Unbreakable

zao75231

couplandrob.daportfolio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how the puppet turned out, but I think it could be darker. Why not color the background with ink? It will look a lot cleaner. The skull tooks pretty good, but the propotions in the face are off: you can see that better with a face drawn on top, following the facial structure:
    For your self-esteem
    Also the skull is shaped a little less round, like the red line. I have no ref of a skull here to compare it with yours, but think more oval.
    The shape of the banana and the apple are allright, but use more difference in value. Only leave the paper blank where you have almost white light om your apple. Where are the darkest spots? Make them as black as you can do with a pencil. All the other gradations of gray can be added in between. Do you have really soft pencils? Like 8B? Works really well. Make a few and don't be scared, it is just a bit of paper lost if you might go wrong. Don't give up to quickly, just go on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THe puppet looks pretty good.
    The fruit still life drawings are pretty accurate but you should try shading it to create a more dimensional look. (where the light is coming from, core shadow, reflected lights...etc) The skull looks nice..he looks happy lol Good luck on your SAT...it a waste of 5 hours for me...=/

[B]Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dead

i have no discipline, no will, disregard and leave, i quit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a thought about materials. If you want to do some smudging work, I suggest not using newsprint. Try Reeves BFK with charcoal. You'll know it, it is sort of soft and cloth-like. Also work on doing detail work. Just take a photograph and redraw it, and keep working on that same drawing over and over. It will help your eye learn to pick out details and teach your brain to render them. Just keep pushing along, welcome to the Org!

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.