Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 18: Drifting Wildwood

E.O.W. - #018: Drifting Wildwood

Round #018

Topic:
    Drifting Wildwood

You MUST include a description or backstory this round, or your image wont be taken to poll. Good luck!

Deadline:
    Sunday, 26th Febuary 2006 6PM GMT

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic. Let me see if an impressionistic style would go well with this

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never done a space piece before...

1.5 hours, Photoshop Elements, Wacom Intuos 6x5
    1.99 GHZ athlon 1 GB RAM

In the year 2012 an enterprising company named S.H.E.O.L., run by a bunch of little known young scientists discovers a way to harness massive amounts of fuel by capturing light rays and redirecting them into a power converter via a massive optical device known as a dimetradome (a play on words named after the prehistoric creature Dimetradon, who was said to have captured the sun's rays on it's impressive sail crest) After garnering royalties from the invention of this humanity changing device, the company turns its attention towards space exploration. In 2050 the team wins a Nobel peace prize for inventing a plan to reduce warfare and solve overpopulation by creating "small" biospheres that circle the planet, revolving around themes that represent unique human cultures. The first and most elaborate of these biospheres is known as Morpeg, a beautiful wooded land with two mountain peaks that is host to a community of artists of all stripes. Morpeg is the largest of the thirty asteroid-based biospheres circling the sun. Homes, technology and machinery on Morpeg are camouflaged into the landscape, a device borrowed both from fantasy fiction novels of the early 21st century, and ideas on green architecture that began to develop in the 1960's. The citizens of Morpeg refer to themselves as "elves" or "gamers".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good storyline/background for the concept piece.

Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    E.O.W # 18: Drifting Wildwood

-21. February 2159, Egypt, Ain-Enegus Forest, 60m above the ground
    - Mechanical probes control forest evolution and scan for new forms of life.

In 2019 EU government accredited afforestation project Green World. It was plan how rebuild places demolished by woodmining and bring new forests everywhere, where will be need for it. Plan was establish on genetic research of cloning and cleavaging trees and plants. There we created a many of new plants and trees which are very immune and strong. Some people told that it is abnormal, but after they saw result of GW reach, they agreed. This project successful rebuild destroyed forest and make our world much healthy. Most of animals accustomed new forests and settled there. Project Green World helped in many ways to rescue wild nature on all world.

Last edited by rawwad; March 27th, 2006 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow rawwad! nice atmosphere, great job bud.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, this is just funny...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rawwd.. how long did this take you to do? I like the detailing on the trees bark and the lighting. Makes it feel like woods.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx a lot friends, I glad you like it

ToxicDustbunny: Thanks, It takes me about 5hours, I had quick idea and free time for this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, I will go ahead and get on this one! Rawwad cool entry m8!

Hey here is a WIP a 3 hours spent, man I need to speed it up!!

Last edited by Beelow; February 22nd, 2006 at 03:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my EOW attempt.

Drifting Wildwood.

Concept: Eolla 112

Description: One of the satellites of the gas giant Prim 3, Eolla 112 is the only celestial body in the Prim solar system able to sustain life. It is a small planet, the surface of which is covered entirely by water. While the surface is mostly barren, underwater is filled with a rich variety of uni- and multy-cellular life. The most notable feature of Eolla 112's habitat are the vast plant formations drifting just below the surface of the water. The roots of the larger trees are able to form a "bubble" of air which allows the trees to drift like a mobile coral reef.

Last edited by ceberae; February 22nd, 2006 at 11:45 PM.
    The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The great tree of life for millions of years grew hidden in the northern Siberian mountains, It was guardedly by a race of advanced termite beings and undisturbed by man. In 2008 a group of explores found the tree, the new race and the rich bounty of natural resources that filled the land around it. In 2009 a mini war was fought over the land with humans claming it as their right because they were “gods children” and preordained to have it as theirs not the termite race. In the perusing battle the tree of life was hit by a “tactical nuke” and sent miles into the sky. Because of the almost super natural properties the tree possessed it stayed in its high altitude low Orbit (HALO). The termite peoples quickly modified the tree to a living ship of drifting wood, and from that vantage point the termite race rained down streams of destruction on all the little ape babies called humans below. Gods children then grew old and withered with out their life tree and soon devolved into cannibals and ate their young and in the process their own future.

Cheers

Tim

My art and Portfolio web site :
    www.digitalmack.com

My OTHER webpage where I give away FREE photoshop brushes, Vector art, and Textures that I made and use in my art:
    www.orbitalrice.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wipish

After five hours we turned back, there wasn't any point in continuing on; there seemed no end to it.
    About an hour into the return journey it became absolutely apparent that we had either taken a wrong turn or the waterways had changed. Duncan checked the sat-nav but the battery was dead- a brand new f*#kin' battery!
    I began to worry about the fuel and started looking for the paddles 'cause the wind had dropped to nuthin' 'n wouldn't ya know it; no damn paddles.
    The incessant chittering and screaming of the flyingfoxes roosting in the mangroves was beginning to give me a massive headache- or it coulda been too much beer 'n not enought water.
    "Damnit man, this is some wacky sh!t", Dunc said into the swelling echo of the fruitbats and all I could think of saying was;
    "Either this is some kind of messed up drifting wildwood, or some kinda f*#ked up nightmare..."

Last edited by Jonoy; February 24th, 2006 at 01:31 AM.
    Only losers have signatures

woodz Gallery
    cgsociety

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, you guys make me laugh. Go termites and bats! Stupid humans!

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rawwad, cerberae - what a pleasure to see those details and hue! great.

Here's my humble one:

Drifting Wildwoods

2104aD - After nearly every natural reserve was suppressed and expunged by men decades before, some whealthy private people afforded the project "Drifting Wildwoods". Floating Rocks (hold in the air by energy devices on offshore platforms) carry woods and meadows, mainly busy with birds and insects. There's almost no air traffic, because transportation works via molecular beaming and the pollution is low. There's just the space problem.
    The project organisation announces to complete the Wildwoods as a whole annulus round the northern hemisphere with large plateaus including waterscapes and visitants parks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a cool topic, and some cool images up already too. Too bad I don't have time to participate

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

From the air the forest of Dargad appeared to drift up and down the Valley. No one on the ground had ever seen it move, but then, very few who had entered it had ever reappeared.

update
    I think Im done

Last edited by chaosrocks; February 27th, 2006 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Zeitwolf! (Man, those rich people)

Great work everyone. Hmm… is it me or EOW isn’t as populous as other activities? May be it’s just this round.

(Must… resist…making… lame jokes about… “wood”… damn it…!)

[Edit] Hey Chaos! Just saw your entry. You think that may be it looks too WIPish and not final? (Is it a WIP? If not, you still have time to refine it before the deadline.)

Sketchbookedness

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    working on it, updated once already. didn't put WIP or DONE on it cause Im not sure how far I'll get, 6pm GMT comes early here
    don' t know if I'll make it..
    somehow couldn't settle on a way to tackle this. too many ideas.
    EOW may be under-populated because doing a whole environment is scary. I alwas have to wait till an images strikes me and then I run out of time. I wonder how many there are out there who start, but don't finish or post?

chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last minute entry, eh? Make sure you know where your main lightsourse is and work from there. Also, look at a real tree to see how light rolls off the bark to create a 3D form.

I know what you mean about environments being scary! I'm a bit reluctant to draw them as well. Particularly industrial BGs. My skyscrapers look like ice-cream cones.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the advice...of course the light in a forest is diffuse but I will see if I can clarify.. updated twice since first post..its getting there

my skyscrapers look like they are made out of playdough.
    c.rocks

update

Last edited by chaosrocks; February 26th, 2006 at 09:48 AM.

Great work by everyone so far here is my one.

Howdy there and welcome to Wildwood Tennessee one of the oldest and authentic old west town in the state. Of course folks around these parts call it Floating Wildwood on account of all the water. Guess them homosexuals where right about global warming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drifting Wildwood

Hi there... I too did an underwater piece (thinking I might be original! But Ceberae's entry (awesome piece) beat me to it!)

The Drifting Wildwoods

The Drifting Wildwoods obtained their name because the plants that make up the forest sway under the currents of the sea. Those who have seen it say their movement is mesmerizing. Their enchantment is only enhanced by their semi-transparent trunks that show the conversion of water to oxygen. The glow of their air-filled sacs create a dizzying display to those looking from below, but many wonder why so few have returned from their journey. Some say they stay for the beauty, others claim the forest is alive.

Edit: I tried to incorporate what Ceberae suggested... I bumped it up a bit, but too much became distracting. Hope you like?

Last edited by Orion9282; February 27th, 2006 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The great conjurer Rellos in his last seconds of life conjured a mystical wildwood that continues to drift through the lands of Ronnen to this day, threatening to envelop the whole world in its dark embrace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Orion9282: Thanks! I really like the soft, dreamy atmosphere in yours. It's a beautiful image. My only crit is that I wish you would have had more interaction colour-wise between the yellow light-producing plants and the bigger trees. What I mean is, the plants seem to be shiny, but the yellow colour does not bleed onto the surrounding blue, as one would expect.

You know, what's funny, the forest in my sketches started off floating on the surface of the water. And then I thought: "How about I'll be all original and put the forest underwater! *insert evil laugh here* No-one will ever think of that!!11!!!1" Yeah...

Tyranx: Holy noodly meatballs, Batman! Beautifully rendered.

Mytze: Nice to see a completely different interpretation of the theme. Beautifully rendered, especially the water. Though there seems to be something off with the perspective on the bottom right, I don't think it's too distracting (hey, if Van Gogh could to it...)

chaosrocks: It's great that you participated, but I wish you would have worked on it more. It's all because of last minute, I tell ya! I think for the next EOW (oh man, it's industrial! ), definitely look at some reference first. It will give you a base to develop ideas earlier on and you can get to rendering earlier and have more time to perfect the drawing.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great Minds I guess... =)

Quote Originally Posted by ceberae
    You know, what's funny, the forest in my sketches started off floating on the surface of the water. And then I thought: "How about I'll be all original and put the forest underwater! *insert evil laugh here* No-one will ever think of that!!11!!!1" Yeah...
    Yeah... I had the exact same revelation. My thumbnails were all above ground, made a mistake and saw that the forest could be underwater, and boom! I did the evil laugh and everything!

Oh and apparently I channelled ChaosRocks as well. "The forest... could be alive! Awesome! Nobody will think of that either!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ceberae - By the way, I edited my image per your comments... see above...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking something like this (I hope you don't mind paintovers, if you do then just tell me and I'll take it down):

Here

Except the strokes shouldn't be as sharp as I've done - they draw too much attention (I'm falling asleep right now, sorry, can't concentrate ) Speaking of attention and points of interest, I don't know if you've seen this tutorial by Prometheus|ANJ:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

It's a good read.

Oh man, now I'm getting ideas. Lava trees! Drifting lava trees! (lack of sleep does strange things to people...)

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Link?

Me sleepy too... but I can't see the paintover... the link doesn't work? And yes, I've seen that tut... excellent stuff.

BTW, your concept isn't showing up on my machine? Methinks because www.logoesque.com might be down?

Last edited by Orion9282; February 27th, 2006 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... that's strange, it works for me. Cleared the cache and it still works. I'm far from my bandwidth limit too. Something is afoot...

*May be it just doesn't like me messing around with it. I'm getting files ready for a big update tomorrow... or the day after...*

Last edited by ceberae; February 27th, 2006 at 01:10 AM.

Sketchbookedness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.