Art: learning 3d

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: learning 3d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

learning 3d

Hi everyone, i'd love to learn how to make 3d models, but i'm kinda clueless on how to start...
    So if anyone can point me to demo's of 3d-programs or some freeware programs i would really appreciate that...

Thanks for your time ^_^

Cynical smarty pants.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    www.discreet.com <<< 3dsmax trial or gMax free Game Tool

www.aliawavefront.com <<< Maya Personal Learning Edition

www.softimage.com <<< Softimage Experience

www.wings3d.com <<< Fre Modeller

bonus vir semper tiro.

Steffen 'Neox' Unger
    freelance 3d artist

www.airborn-game.com
    www.polyphobia.de

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.milkshape3.com modeler, good for games, 30 days testing and only 20$ I think for the license.
    This modeler is very good for beginners, it has basic features and there are a lot of tutorials on the site.

http://www.zmodeler.com another free/sharewaremodeler.

http://www.lighwave3d.com very good, orderable (sp?) demo.

Lightwave is a good Modeler/Renderer to do "reasonably" modeling. Very very much options such as 3dsMax.

cu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the quick replies everyone!

erm...first off ;
    Where can i find a downloadable (sp?) demo of 3dsmax5? I ordered a free cd from the discreet site, but i don't think it will make it to my front door..i got the impression they would only send it to companies who are planning on using it...
    not silly home-low-budget users like me

And the aliaswavefront, lightwave and milkshape website don't work on the computer i'm currently using (an very, VERY old one). and my newer computer is out cold.
    [edit] There are alot of tiny typing errors in the links they work when you correct them [/edit]

So which one of the programs you guys named would be good to start out with? one with alot of options or more easy ones, or can i just start out with the complicated ones and start with the basics?

Thanks for your time again...
    coriat, out

hm, maybe i should wait until next year...i can get those student-copies for like 40 euro then

Last edited by coriat; April 28th, 2003 at 03:12 AM.
    Cynical smarty pants.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THe cd does get sent - a friend of mine has it.

If you know someone that has the Computer Arts magazine the CD was on it in december i think

As for programs 3D programs tend to be quite complicated, but nowadays if you have a nice book that starts you up with the application its easy to get started. Max is no worse or better than other apps i guess - but i'm no application zealot i use maya, max and have used LW.

If you use Max then check out the book 'Inside 3D Studio Max' for the version you use. It has good basic tutorials and a nice reference section.

GL!

Erik

PS. If you are near Amsterdam i can give you a copy of the demo cd if you really get stuck...

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the books are kinda a rip off, all the same information is in the help files or tutorials that come with the programs.
    there's a lot of things not included, but theres not a whole lot more in the books. not to say i dont have or use any books, but what im saying is use your help files and tutorials, save your money, the internet is a great place to find help.

"But you aint got no legs Lieutenant Dan."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's very true and the help/tutorial/etc sites are incredible sources but sometimes it's difficult to find a set of equal level - and sometimes it's nice to read something not from the screen. But it's certainly a personal thing and i suggest to check out the book before you buy it and don't if you're comfortable using help and have a big enough screen ;-)

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, i thought i'd keep you updated on my progress
    I just found out i filled in that form at discreet for nothing, i still have to phone the company in order to get the 3dsmax trial send...i am going to do that after my exams (in 3 weeks), so i can take full advantage of the 30 day trial period before doing anything...ahum*cough slightly less legal with it.

I did however download Maya 4.5 PLE and even though it IS VERY intimidating, i'm having a lot of fun with it
    I am going to rent (buy, maybe) a book about it, because i never feel comfortable reading off a screen and also, it is very difficult to switch between screens, well, not difficult, annoying is the word i'm looking for

The watermark is a bit annoying though, but not as bad as i expected.
    So when i get around cleaning up the litle internet space i have, you guys can all OOH and AAH off my tutorial- based extruded cubes and hammers n stuff

Last edited by coriat; May 1st, 2003 at 06:09 AM.
    Cynical smarty pants.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, i have followed a couple of tutorials for the MAYA PLE, and i learned basic things like scale, rotate, extrude, loft and stuff like that
    But now i ran into a problem..
    i was following this tutorial to learn modelling with deformations modifiers (is that the good word for it?) But after i applied the bend modifier, i can't move the staircase with the move function...
    If i try to move it, it bends ! I functions like the bend isn't ' over' so i searched everywhere for a "close bend" button, but i can't find it
    Can anyone help me with this?
    How do i manipulate objects after i applied the bend modifier?

Thanks for your time again...

PS. I now work in MAYA (PLE).
    PPS. Sorry i have no screenshots, i can't upload them yet

[EDIT]
    ALSO, , when i try to move other things around, sometimes i move them around on the world axis and sometimes on the local axis...is there an option to switch between the manipulator modes? and if so, where can i find that?
    thanks again
    [/edit]

Last edited by coriat; May 2nd, 2003 at 04:24 AM.
    Cynical smarty pants.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Coriat,

I got your message but i can't reply because you chose not to receive messages.

Send me your e-mail address. The file you requested is small, several 100 kB.

About your question on Maya PLE : i'don't know... But Maya is much more relaxed than Max... send me a msg and we'll discuss it on the e-mail because i may have info for you.

Regards
    Erik

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hiya thanks...as for pm's and email...
    i just updated my email adres (the old one ay freeler.nl was deleted because i did use the email, but not the internet freeler supported me with, so they couldn't make any profit out of me ).
    And (i think) it is now visible for everyone who reads my posts (one of the buttons below my post).
    It was also the reason you couldn't PM me i think -- i had to re-start my account using the new email adres

I also pm'ed my email, just in case...

thanks heaps,
    coriat.

-and thanks heaps again even more

Cynical smarty pants.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.