Sketchbook: Rebirth.....(updated 1/01/08) - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Rebirth.....(updated 1/01/08)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hp- your right it does look like vector art, i was planning on using gradients on the details. I think that's how he did it but not sure need to watch that again. but it doesn't matter now anyway cause i saved over the file .

here is the start of something new..another environment i need to work on enviro stuff so look for a lot of the in the up coming weeks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello still working on this environment i need more work in this area so... I guess i'll be working on it for awhile and others. did i few characters too I'll try and scan them in later

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking great man... I wish I were better at environments... tho I guess that means I should practice more? lol... I wish I didn't love the COW activities so much!

GUILD OF CALAMITOUS INTENT
    - BohemianChaos - | - Jska -
    Check out our sexy sketchbooks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see u r coming along nicely,,, keep it coming man

My sketchbook <<<< share your thoughts and crit my sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the mt is really nice!!! anyways i think maybe the horizon would be mistier...you may be planning to do that anyways, i know you're in a basic stage.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Brian, good Environment, I think the castle might be a little bit cramped in the corner, I'd give it some space between the mountain and the cliff, There is normally not a good foundation near cliffs...I think. Plus I think the scale of the castle would look better being smaller...and having multiple smaller buildings going through the mountain, like a city, that be dope...but that's what "I" would do. Coming along nicely and I want to see how it turns out

later brosive!

Check Us Out!!!

Unbreakable

zao75231

couplandrob.daportfolio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is the start of a character hope to finish it tommorrow... I will also work on the environment more

Thanks everyone!

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohhh, that castle at the cliff looks like a cool idea! The progress will be really interesting!

The character looks like he might be an interesting one! He looks in pain. It's a bit hard for me to make out the outline, though. So I can't say much more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey whattup man. Sorry I'm so late in getting to this but the never ending toil has been big lately. I'll try and be as honest and concise about this since you want a straight critique. I think you have a very long way to go if you want to get into doing production art and actual design work for a game/project. It's not rocket science but requires a heavy understanding of the medium and methods used as well as an ability to make compelling and interesting designs. Not only are you selling the ability to draw/paint something great but you are also in charge of coming up with something for someone's game that's going to make that game sell. You have to have a firm grasp on what looks cool, what works well in a particular situation, and often on the subject matter at hand, which can change drastically. (in other words, if someone's making a W.W.II game you have to be able to make realistic and accurate drawings of what nazi's look like) as well as making the artwork look great. It's not an easy task, but doing concept art can mean allot of things. You need to figure out what market you want to enter, then study fiercely what's being done, and has been done, in that field. So if you want to go into book illustration, you should study who the book publishers are and what artists work for them. Who are the greats in that field? That's the easy part. The hard part is that you have to bring your stuff up to that standard. You have to look at what's being done today and say "If I'm gonna make it in this field, the quality of my work has to have the same level of quality as that of other artists work if you're going to be competitive in that field as an artist. Not only do you have to work on technique but you have to develop something that you and only you are going to offer. You will NOT achieve greatness if you try and to imitate someone else's work until you die. Many many people do this and end up in the dustbin of mediocrity. If you are going to become a production artist, especially a concept artist, you've got do do a great number of things.

You need to work on all of your foundation skills. Your figures are out of proportion and incomplete. There are some good things happening on some of the contours but that's the only strength to them, and there aren't that many. You have to do tons of drawings. Shit loads. Day after day after day. All day sometimes. All weekend. Holidays. Whatever. The only way you get to have an easy of use with your medium (pencil, photoshop, whatever) is through practice. That's the only way you can hone your application skills. But that's not the only thing you have to do, you can draw the figure without hands and feet until you die and continue to be a bad artist because you never pushed your boundaries. You must, must, constantly evaluate your work and identify your weakness' ON YOUR OWN as well as from others. It's very easy to stagnate and give up. What I see in what you've posted is what shows up in allot of sketchbooks, allot of starts. Nothing's finished or defined. There just aren't very many marks on your paintings. Your costume designs are just not fleshed out enough. Nothing looks very fleshed out. If you're going to design a character then design it, design every part of it. Look at it like you're going to design every speck down to his/her boot laces. Everything has to be defined eventually if it's going to be featured in any kind of product. I see you struggling to do this all at once. You're trying to do environments when you haven't properly learned how to define form. That's just one example. You need to understand how to draw before you can get a job working as an artist. What you're planning on doing is great. If you can have a chunk of a few months to just work on your artwork then you should definitely do that. But use the hell out of that time. Then after that get a part time job if you have to. It's not the end of the world if you have to work to pay off your debts, just make sure you're not living past your means. Don't get a lexus if you're working at taco bell . But this shit takes time man. It takes years and years for allot of people to get into an art related job. But it can and will happen if you work hard enough and have the know-how to operate in that industry. You have allot of work to do, but, in the end, it has to be all in the name of doing something you love. If you are drawing like crazy and feeling nothing but frustration, pain, and guilt then maybe drawing isn't for you. You have to ask yourself important questions before you embark on a long-term life plan (for lack of a better phrase If you truly are into doing art for a living then you need to seriously study, draw, learn and improve your work before making a portfolio to present to potential employers. How you figure out when that is and what standard you have to reach for should be determined by you. You are the holder of the keys but you have to drive your art car to successville with a map that you draw. Ok that analogy's bad but I think you get what I mean.

What I mean by all this is that you've got the potential to work but you've gotta work WAY harder than you ever thought you could. There's been many many times when I thought I couldn't figure it out anymore than I had. Sometimes it seems impossible to finish a drawing but you just have to keep fixing the mistakes and building it up until you're satisfied. If you don't crave that satisfaction than you shouldn't seek an art related job. You gotta want it. So fukin' keep it up man, you'll get to where you want to be eventually just keep workin'. That's the only remedy to your troubles.

I hope this made sense man and I don't wish to offend. You have some things starting to work in some of your images but there's nothing that leaps out at me. If you want me to critique specific drawings I'm happy to do that but what I've typed so far is about the best advice I can give you on the matter at hand. I wish you the best of luck dude. -kemp

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

10. The Following User Says Thank You to steak-tron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    best crit I've ever seen.

Check Us Out!!!

Unbreakable

zao75231

couplandrob.daportfolio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steak- Wow! that is the best advice I have ever received... and no you did not offend me in anyway. Your right i don't have anything finished, that stops today! I'm also going back to the basics for about six months straight will be almost entirely studies and foundation work. That's not to say that I won't be doing in concepts. I really do appericate it way you had to say. Thanks

I did some studies of skeletons and faces all of which I finished they aren't has sketchy as usual.I also finished the character design from above.look for more finished work in the upcoming days. Oh yeah on the skeletons i tried my best to fit the feet on the page, I promise I'm not trying to avoid drawing feet or hands anymore...don't what to die a BAD ARTIST.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow that was a GOOD critique. you need to update your sketchbook title btw, i've been forgetting too ^^

in addition to that critique, what i think is your biggest problem is just line quality and not blocking out forms. i have this problem too of focusing too much on the lineart and working inwards. but a lot of your shading, while it follows the form, doesn't show any sense of muscle or anything underneath. i find that instead of studying books on muscles or whatever (although bridgman breaks down them pretty well into blocks), looks at 3d models of faces and crap. Think of the form in unsmoothed mode "if i had to break this down into 30 polys what would it look like" type of thing, you know?

about the skeletons, did you block it out first? i have the problem of working down instead of blocking it out and i end up cutting off feet too ^^ your feet are too small too, even if you can't fit it on, try extending them wider.

anyways if you ever come down here, give me a call (if you still got my number), we should have a drawing session and of course we still got the free life drawing sessions going on, there's one this sat if you wanna make the drive.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hp- yeah, i'm trying to learn how to get a better sense of structure in my figures. I wish i could come this saturday but i have to work on saturdays so I can't make it. But i would love to get together next time i'm down that way and draw. I don't have your number shot me a pm.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello

I did some studies trying to get an understanding of form, hence the lines wrapping around the form(i hope) some are from kchen drawings and some I did from photo ref and Vilppu. More skeleton's tommorrow got get those proportions down. Oh, here is another finished character.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow , that advice from steaktronnnn,,,, wooow,,, I want a crit!!!!

Lucky bastard(Brian) gettign a nice crit! Keep on posting homeboy.

Hey why dont u define and color that nice lookin face.

My sketchbook <<<< share your thoughts and crit my sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh...very nice improvement there! That face is well done, too!! Oy, lost my train of thought, but I can really see how you're practicing with structure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a lot of stuff...

tu- worked on the pic more need help with the colors
    Jazzw-thanks man good to know
    i plan to work on the portrait some more later on...also going to do some design work can't stop doing that cause it is a part of the basics.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok forgot these

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

hey whats up

i figured i need to go ahead and finally post on here. i've been a member for a long time and have been neglecting CA.org lately sorry Anyways, your artwork has been improving a lot over the last few years. Steak-tron already gave you a massive critique but i'll add my 2cents. I have to agree that the proportions still need a little work but its coming along. At the same time try to develop a style that will make people drop their jaws. The entertainment design industry is a really really really competitive one as you already know. Think outside of the box and stand above all. I think im almost there and i need to work on getting my drawings in many poses...especially action poses amongst other things as well. Well keep up the good work. maybe i'll start a sketchbook thread eventually.

Last edited by Raa2001; March 29th, 2007 at 02:42 PM.

KaRiNzo a.k.a ZoSentel

"I've risen from the dead!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you mirror/turn around your images/take some breaks while drawing? It just seems like there's some wonkiness going on I think you should be able to catch better.
    And, especially with the skeletons, try putting a ruler or something on the reference to really see what parts line up. Right now especially the legs seem to "wander off".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raa- yeah i just trying to let my style develop as i get better at the basics and gain a better visual library.

dmitri- your right i think i just need to pay more attention to that type of thing....it's always the little things that get me and with art the little things matter the most sometimes.

here are some study's and some design work. I'm going to do some sort of horse creature once i get some other stuff out of the way.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Horse-
    The face looks a little small. Might even be a good idea to scan in the reference so that people can compare to your drawing.

Human-
    The full form male looks good except the hands look a little small. They should be about the length of the face. The skeleton is good, but the face looks unproportioned. Sometimes you dont have to draw every detail but you can insinuate the detail with shadows/highlights as long as you show that you understand the structure. Well keep em' coming. Good work

KaRiNzo a.k.a ZoSentel

"I've risen from the dead!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a small update.....a creature !

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is some stuff studies and what not.... i should have some more design work tonight to lazy to scan it now. sorry for the poor quality of the images you can thank my lame digi cam for that.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on your creature, you have to have some balance. it looks like he's going to topple over. i think he would have to be leaning forward a little to counteract the rest of the bodies attached to him.

also watch your balance on some of your studies, some of the figures are off. i got this problem too ^^

on the last study with the woman with the fish, watch where some of your lines go. i really admire that you shade in the direction lines should be going (as opposed to just randomly shading it like i do hehe), but i think some parts like the breasts and shoulder blades should be done with a lighter touch. also on the shoulder blades maybe the lines should go across like in a contour instead of diagonal.

keep up the studies, you're gonna get a job ahead of me lol

oh, and frank wade and me were thinking of doing a "do a f'ing portfolio" weekend where we try to pump out and refine maybe like 6-8 pieces that you can show for a portfolio...and nonstop drawing interested? it'll prolly be in early summer for two or three days if you can get off work. prolly in oklahoma though unless i persuade him and wil to come down, but i'll drive you.

www.emilysu.net
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it coming man, the last studies look good.

"your never as good......and your never as bad.....as you think"
    -Sajad

Sajad's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting in my sketchbook, I wanted to say that you have a crap load of sketches, which is more important to anything else right now including myself. Keep up the good work!! Those last anatomy studies look really good. You are getting down the forms I would recommend improving line quality. One thing you do well are natural poses i really suck at them but, many of your characters look very convincing in stance. Keep it up, you are definitely improving!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hp-check.....and yeah i would be awesome to do something like that just let me know as far in advance as possible.

sajad126-thank you sir

ashrumm- Yes, i will work on my line quality sir.

more studies and a character. Man, my scanner sucks! I HATE it soooooooo much makes my drawings look worse than they all ready are.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice new batch of drawings in this last recent post. The studies are great. In the last drawing, the feet seem a bit small. Some other minor problems but over all very good. Keep working hard man.

Here is the link to the Vilpuu cards I purchased, you can specifically select the cards that you want to buy. I bought the entire group, so I hope this helps you. I like them.

Cheers ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darktwin- thanks and I will watch out for those feet.

more studies! man i need to do more i feel like i'm not doing enough.. i am going to try and start doing studies of mechanical stuff and animals i need to expand my 'visual library'... I have heard that my designs are a little bit too influence by certain artists....

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1