Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts

the official "Macs vs. PC" thread..

ok, so normally i dont piss and moan about macs as i rarely come into contact with them. i did, however, do just that recently..

i was asked to film (then edit) a local musical theatre end of year production, as i am friends with the woman running it and she knew i was cluey about these things. i roped in a mate (a multimedia student) to film it with me using a second video camera, so we could get both close ups and wide angles without missing the action. we got the necessary footage, and all was well.

i sat down at a random mac at my old highschool (they were kind enough to let me), and i started importing the footage. id done a multimedia class using the same macs back in 11th grade, so i was pretty confident i could get the job done. and i did. the video ended up being 1.26 hours in total (pretty massive, i know), complete with transitions, titles and smooth changes from one camera to the next. i invested about 20 hours into it altogether, as when i do a job i like to do it right.

i finished it and went to save the latest changes. it wouldnt do it. i looked at the available space indicator and it told me i had nothing at all. i started deleting transitions to see if theyd free up the necessary space to save. nothing worked. i tried emptying the trash, but as there was no "empty without saving" button, i couldnt get rid of the excess. circular problem. so i closed it without saving, tried to open the file, and it said i didnt have enough space in order to open it.

i rebooted, tried opening it, and it told me one of the transitions was corrupt or missing, and gave me the option to continue. i did, and it wouldnt open regardless. kept shutting the program down without warning.

i knew this mac had something up, because regardless of import/export settings, a 10 second stream of footage was ranging from 500meg-3gig in size, or something equally as ridiculous as that.

i then tried to copy the file to a 100gig external HD, as it was (wait for it) 32.9gig and wouldnt burn to disc if i tried in its current format. it would get about 2.9gig into the dupe process and go "EHHHHNNNnn.. WRONG" and abandon the copy altogether.

lets just say im pissed.. ok? ok.
    Last edited by stoph; February 16th, 2006 at 07:55 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Damn dude. Sounds like a piece of crap. I've never played with a Mac so I wouldn't know what they're like. I may just stick with my windows for just a big longer now =].
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    I'd say I agree if you asked me this 9 years ago. But things change.

Let me say for the record.

I DON'T HATE MACS.

I don't love them either, its just another tool like the Microsoft based workstations. The more familiar you are with them, the less they will bite you in the arse when you're not looking.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    emmm i have no problems using them daily (at school, or at a job) I would probably never buy myself one though. I find it funny though that the speakers in my DS sound alot better than most peoples mac laptops.

Thanks
    "i sat down at a random mac at my old highschool"

There's your problem right there.....LOL. Sorry, but using school computers is just asking for trouble.
    Rasmus Poulsen - www.technouveau.net

Thanks
    I'm agreeing with Dallas. Computers at schools generally tend to be real bad. Everybody uses them for god knows what and hardly anyone comes in to check on them. I once did small stop motion film on a (art) school PC and i had a lot of trouble with it back then too. Couldn't even get a decent working copy burned on disc. So basically you just messed with the wrong computer.

Thanks
    macs for teh win!!!

actually mine has been doing some wonky stuff in the last while too.....but hey its just a machine. No guarantees for anything....

Thanks
    What nic said, there's no computer that's flawless! But mac's are damn near it...

Thanks
    Hi there I'm a Mac user and proud of it.

Now here is what your problem is I believe (not being able to see the mac you are using). First off what was the storage capacity of the mac? Depending on the RAM available (which I am assuming is low being a school system) the computer has to canabilize the storage space as extra memory (think virtual memory pre OSX) the less free space you have the less memory it has to run. If the file is 39 gig and the MAC only has 40 gig of storage then you are doomed to failure from the start. Your asking the poor thing to do more than it's hardware allows.

I haven't done video editing before so I can't offer any work flow tips to help you or I would gladly do so. But Just because you are trying to stuff an elephant into a dog carrier is no reason to disparage the sacred Mac

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Haha. This should be the "I used to hate macs thread but have since seen the light" thread.

'stoph. = pwn3d

Thanks
    hahaaa yeah im def being pwn'd here. i will make note that this mac was def being screwy, i mean i checked and rechecked the import/export settings, they were on as low as they could go, and still the file sizes were ridiculous, e.g. 3.5gig for a 2 second tail-end of a clip..

but i may just be seeing the light, now that i may be in the running for a new PC courtesy of the old man.. and the G5 looks mighty impressive so far. anyone recommend them?

Thanks
    i despise those machines. I really don't know why they say their geared more towards creating media, a pc works just as well, and it aint a bitch to upgrade.

Thanks
    Having done some video editing using Adobe Premier on my PC, I can assure you this had little to do with it "being a mac." Those files get freakin' huge and often have problems. Plus, sounds like the mac you were using was probably ancient. I used to be a big mac hater, until OSX. Now I dig 'em.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Shitstorm incoming.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    my brother used to have a mac, and now he's going strictly PC. I'm glad to have him back on the team, those Mac people are so snooty...
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    those Mac people are so snooty...
    Talking about unprejudiced and unbiased opinions ...

Fipse
    (Gladly working on all systems he gets his hands on)
    <Insert witty remark here>

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I...and my 500gig 4x2.5 Ghz G5 QUAD...only come to this filthy shithole for the free donuts and what-passes-for-coffee...

You used a school computer? What the hell were you thinking, anyway?

...and Kresh...with the utmost respect for you and your opinions...please...bite me.

Thanks
    mac have cooler designs on their chassi thou. atleast some.

Thanks
    I hate Windows machines with such an unbridled passion that my wife's dell crashes anytime i try to use it. Being an inherently evil machine, I've always suspected it can sense the holy Mac vibes radiating off of me...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CRW
    I hate Windows machines with such an unbridled passion that my wife's dell crashes anytime i try to use it. Being an inherently evil machine, I've always suspected it can sense the holy Mac vibes radiating off of me...
    no dude, thats just cause you try to use the windows key to do your little "option+blah" shortcut and force it into shutdown. i mean come on, whats the point in a whole extra button? thats just being difficult. hah. thats one thing i really dont agree with when it comes to macs..

Thanks
    I happen to only be able to use a PC because 3D Studio Max doesn't run on a Mac. That, and I can't play half my favourite games on a Mac.

Thanks
    *Waits for nazis and Hitler to appear*
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I think we have just witnessed possibly the only spam post of elwell. AWE.

Mac users are like hitler for some reason! RAR!

Seriously, people like each one for different reasons. It's like apples and oranges.

just for lulz:

If Microsoft made cars.

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again, because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. Oh yeah, and last but not least . . . you'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off!
    Last edited by waronmars; February 16th, 2006 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks
    So I am a little Hitler? is that it war?
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    my wife's dell crashes anytime i try to use it
    my stepdad got one recently to replace his Sony and man, that is one fucked up computer. I think it hates me
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    What key are you talking about?
    option blah? What's that? Ive never used no option+anything...
    One single button makes "disagree" with Macs?
    (in what way can one "agree/disagree" with a computer?)

c'mon man.....really......your problem is with a single button?

-ink
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    I'm a PC user with Windows, and XP at that as my main thing.

Nonetheless, I've worked on Macs and Linux, and honestly, the only thing that really makes me chose windows is my games. I'm a gamoholic.

When it comes to both the dreaded Mac and Linux, it's just the matter of the tools. If I work sound, I def go for Mac. If I want to have a puter at home that works on most of the things I use, I go for Win XP PC.

I don't care about the system, as long as it does whatever it's supposed to do, and thank goodness, I've not been on any school puter for years.

When the system isn't doing whatever it's supposed to do, and it has nothing to about the specs though... I go into a raving madness that screams "fake PMS" all over it, and containing an axe, a hammer and a garbage container.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    So I am a little Hitler? is that it war?
    You're not a little hitler, you're a big stalin!

Thanks
    awwwww thanks war.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast