Sketchbook: Tim's not so creatively titled sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tim's not so creatively titled sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Tim's not so creatively titled sketchbook

Hello, I'm pretty new around here but I really wish I'd of found this place sooner. I'm hoping to get an internship for summer '07 and my portfolio needs to be put together by around November '06, so I'm planning on doing A LOT of sketching. So here we go:

This is a character I'm trying to develop I plan on going through most of the steps with him to show my ability with each (thumbs, model sheet, rendered, model, texture, animation)
    First sketch:

Developing a little more:

Last edited by Destinatus; January 21st, 2007 at 06:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate how photobucket resizes stuff, none of the images are over 512KB if somone knows whats going on I'd appreciate it.

Heres some old sketches using references I did about 2 - 3 years ago, and its proof that drawing from photo refs doesnt help at all! hehe

Woohoo I just realized its officially a daily sketchbook. Hope I can keep this up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photo Ref

Why do you think that using photo refs dont work?

I work from photos all the time. If I did'nt I would'nt get any commisions. People don't have the time to sit for you. I do a fair amount of portriats and for the most part they are gifts. Working from photos is always frowned upon but i don't understand why.

If anyone can explain this please help me understand.

Other then that I think your stuff looks good. Where are you going to intern at? if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks, keep those pencils warm
    Johnny

My time behind the pencil and more

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/johnnyhotrod/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhotrod
    Why do you think that using photo refs dont work?

I work from photos all the time. If I did'nt I would'nt get any commisions. People don't have the time to sit for you. I do a fair amount of portriats and for the most part they are gifts. Working from photos is always frowned upon but i don't understand why.

If anyone can explain this please help me understand.

Other then that I think your stuff looks good. Where are you going to intern at? if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks, keep those pencils warm
    Johnny
    Oh I shoulda clarified, the way I see it theres the outer eye and inner eye. Drawing from references seems to help you perceive objects better, helping your drawing from seeing skills. But I don't believe that it helps you draw without refs, from my experience anyway.

As for the internship, I'm gonna try and get into the Computer Graphics Artist internship at EA over next summer. I'm trying really hard to bring myself to a mostly professional level. If I don't make it in I will probably go to next years workshop (joined to late to prepare for this years).

EDIT: does anyone know how to change the thread title?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I felt like I kinda cheated by just showing old stuff and I was still in the mood to draw so I did a quick SP, about 1/2 hr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are some excellent faces you've got there, top notch. I would definately recommend finding and taking an art class near you. I found this class that was mon-sat every week from 2pm to 9pm and we just drew our asses off. The amount I improved was really amazing, and I had a great opportunity to get some nice looking portfolio pieces. Keep at it, remember they want to see creativity as well as ability.

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick_Sketch: Thanks! Yeah I'm actually a Fine Arts major and I've taken oodles of art classes, the only one that really allowed my creativity was my AP Art class in highschool tho =\. I'd kill to be able to take Art School type classes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so much for trying the daily approach, oh well.

some refs and some I just made up, I'm sure you can tell which is which. And no that isn't a dog but just some dog-like creature, my useless attempt at being creative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fat kid: thanks a bunch! yeah I wish I had more of a chance to draw from life, maybe I'll start bringing my sketchbook when I go around places.

I have some old poo and new poo today.
    Here is some more old photo refs, if people are getting tired of these I can stop heh.

Heres something I did earlier today. Trying to be creative, but it's just human anatomy with a crazy head hehe (I don't like the profile one, its not a human skull so please don't comment on that)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Didn't have time to update last weekend cause I was at Tahoe. I did this pic for the Bengal inspired artwork forum, it's not very interesting but I was mostly trying his color-scheme thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet stuff! The portraits from reference are great! If you fell like your not learning anything when drawing from reference try to construct what you see, look deeper than just on the surface.
    Were putting together a SSG so check out that thread, your in the group for the time being. (see my signature)

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice sketches! I don't know where u are trying to get an internship but most want to see some finished work. November will be here before you know it!!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Destinatus

I'm liking what I see. Your drawings of people seem very accurate and they look great. I'd love to see some more!

TREVOR HENRY ARTIST, PHOTOGRAPHER AND WEB DESIGNER

Mediasoldier | Trevor Henry Photoblog | Lowopacity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Morbid: I just got a bunch more anatomy books, I think I'm gonna lay off photo refs for a lil bit. Thanks for inviting me to the group, I put it in my sig

-ThePenciler-: thanks, yeah I was thinking about getting some nice finished peices, most of these are practice

Blitz: Thanks, I'm gonna try and get some more drawing done once I can get some schoolwork out of the way otherwise it will just be a burden on me as I draw

Thanks for the comments everyone! +inspiration pts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wish my faces looked like urs, particularly like girl in recent 'old photo ref' with no sleeves very nice, keep em comin!

not affiliated and not worth your time. dead as of april

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the last girl, her back has a really nice curve, stylish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dest!

I love how you can capture those facial expressions, very well done.
    I really like the drawing of the girl above the skinny monster guy.

[B]Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost feel bad about posting this page cause its so messy and boring, but I feel worse about not posting anything heh. I figured out that the reason I get some messy parts around my sketches is because when I erase I dust it off with my pinky and graphite builds up on it and smears on the paper, it's really hard to break that habit but I hate how messy everything looks.

I did this on my lunchbreak during work yesterday. Ill try to put up a more complete speedpaint or something when I have more time, I haven't really had much at all lately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Your studies from ref are superb! Like your Hands also. I think some more figure and anatomy-studies would fit this thread more, You'll get a better understanding out of your refs, this way, too

About not getting better with photos. Well, this is only partly true.
    In This one I can see you have already built up a routine for drawing human faces. You should ask yourself anytime you draw from ref, what you did afterwards. How did you block out the values? How did you describe the forms of the main features? Did you first draw the outlines or did you begin with other things, Why did you do this or that? And on and on. Try to learn out of your own art

But what do I know, you're the one who's taking a career in art, not me ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally boring update, sorry =\
    I haven't been able to draw anything except faces and boring anatomy studies taken out of books. I'm feeling totally uninspired and uncreative. At this rate I won't even get one peice done for my portfolio heh.

I would've added more highlights but without a refence I'm unsure where to put more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man when you get in a rut like that just open up the old sketchbook and start drawing. DON'T think just draw whatever comes from your hand. you may get a design or an idea for a design like this. if not at least you will have a few more sketch pages.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the feeling. Dont try to force yourself, watch some inspiring art or something. The jaw is disproportional/too far down in your last portrait, and the ear is too small.
    Hope youll get that creativity back soon, I wanna see some more portraits!

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man great stuff, love your facial expresions. I would add some more values into your faces and show more contrast, other than that everything looks real good, keep it coming.

Check Us Out!!!

Unbreakable

zao75231

couplandrob.daportfolio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An artists block really sucks if you want something done like a portofolio. I had it last year. My 2D teacher always aks me the same questions if I get stuck:

"If you could do everything, what would you really want to make? No matter what?" "If you could just draw one subject for the rest of your life, what would that be?" "Well, get started on that. Take photo's, make collages, get some ink and a brush, or a pencil. But start working on that very thing and the rest will follow"

It is probably useless to say you don't have to focus on making perfect ART to get you in to art school or whatever you need a portfolio for. Nothing is as de-motivating as that. Get started on a proces, which will take you further then just thinking and thinking. Even if an idea you like pops up, butyou think it is not good enough for your portofolio, in the proces of skething it will evolve into a much better one. You may end up with something entirely different than the original idea, but that doesn't matter.

Oh, and with 'useless' I ment 'here follows an impossible idea to carry out' because I now the stress of the deadline coming nearer. Relax.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unbreakable: Thanks for the tip, one of my art teachers told me to "think with my pencil" when doing thumbnails but its kind of hard for me to get the hang of
    Morbid: Thanks for the crits
    zao75231: I'll try to add more values in my portraits, its easier when I use refs
    artificial_green: That's some good advise. Although I think I would have to do more than just portraits and figures to get a job as a concept artist.

I wanted to submit a digital picture but none of them turned out very good. Here's an oh-so-exciting anatomy page that I know you all love and a page full of random stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your anatomy looks pretty accurate and your faces are definately improving. That last profile though the forhead seems too far inwards.

Nice updates though, keep em coming!

TREVOR HENRY ARTIST, PHOTOGRAPHER AND WEB DESIGNER

Mediasoldier | Trevor Henry Photoblog | Lowopacity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the old man portrait. Your head drawings for reference are very good. The ones without ref have some issues. One thing to use as a fix point or reference point when constructiong the head is the browline. Be sure to look at the brow line as a curved line, curved both forwards and upwards. And not a flat line. To see it as a flat line you would have to be looking at the head from about 45 degrees up. Its useful to mark the point where the brow line starts going back and down by the side of the head. Those two points will orient the head. I got this concept from the Glen Vilppu Head Drawing Dvds, they are very recommended. Anyways, anatomy studies are looking great, keep it up!

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice anatomy you got going, did you use reference? The pelvis on the males look real thin, they should be the same length as the shoulders, womens have wider hips than the they're shoulders (I don't know if you know that or not, but you probably do).

Check Us Out!!!

Unbreakable

zao75231

couplandrob.daportfolio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man just keep at it I had the exact same problems. the more you learn about anatomy and the fundamentals of drawing the easier it will be to come up with quality pieces for your portfolio. the stuff about not thinking is really hard to do you should practice on a subject you feel really comfortable drawing then it will be easier.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the delay in posting, I have been sketching, just haven't found time to put it online for you guys. So without further ado heh

Just some studies and an attempt at the ChoW which I didnt have time to finish.

Kinda boring page, did some kind of hunter guy and more concepting on the metrosexual pirate character.

Bored at work so I drew my stapler, heh. the thing in the top right was gonna be a guideline for a futuristic car to work on my ID skills...only to find out I have none. the heart stuff is for a project im doing in my sculpture class. Also I realize the pelvis on the bottom is too wide.

More interesting stuff coming up I promise! hehe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.