Thanks

Red face Help! Need direction with building my skills!!

... i'm sure this question has already been posted and after a half-ass attempt to search for one i didn't see any, so i'll go ahead and ask.

Newly motivated, i've dusted off my sketchbook and pencils and have begun scratching away again. i'm relying on what i've learned on my own or reaching back to high school art classes, so things are rusty to say the least.

So my question is, since i'm bascially starting from scratch, where exactly is the best starting point for me? Anatomy?

i guess i'm wondering where i should start and in what direction should i head in building up my general skills in the hopes that i will one day be an illustrator that can hold his own.

i've signed up for a figure drawing class, but until that starts in April, i'd like to get off my proverbial ass and get to work and in a logical way.

Can anyone offer some direction??
    (If my sketchbook went to school, it would get its ass kicked everyday at the bike racks.)

SSG#14: We'll think of a better name someday!
    staylor | inkfish | pogy366 | jlward | godrifle | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pogy366
    ... i'm sure this question has already been posted and after a half-ass attempt to search for one i didn't see any, so i'll go ahead and ask.
    You'll need to learn to not be lazy.
    Sorry if it's rude. but there's been tons of threads on all the advice you're going to be asking. If you're going to make a new thread and wait for a reply each time before you start working, you'll be wasting precious drawing time.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I think drilling hardcore in your anatomy right now would be a good idea. That way when you get to your figure drawing class, you'll be thinking about what's going on with the model's muscles and bones as he poses.

Thanks
    Interceptor - not rude at all, just being a straight shooter. You're right. Much appreciated.

Gauge - Thanks. i just got back from my coffee run to Borders and saw an anatomy book in the bargin bin. Couldn't help but to grab it. i'm thinking this will help me with what you suggested and give me some references to work from.
    (If my sketchbook went to school, it would get its ass kicked everyday at the bike racks.)

staylor | inkfish | pogy366 | jlward | godrifle | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer

Thanks
    My recommendation would not only be in studying anatomy, but also drawing from life. By that, I mean draw things around the house: your shoe, that jacket hanging from the chair, the half-eaten pirogi, anything. This is going to help in seeing values and the affects of lighting. It's also going to go a ways in making you deal with composition, as you'll have to pick out where to stop drawing. There are several good books that you should start with (Loomis pops to mind), in order to help guide you (read them while you're resting your hand from the 20-hour days of drawing). There are several threads which discuss good art books.

Once you've chipped the rust off and you can't figure out what's going wrong, this site is a great resource (as you no doubt already realize). Keeping a thread open in the sketchbook portion can also help.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Dogfood - thanks. i'll keep my eyes open for some books to work from. Cheers.