Thanks

Tabletop Fusion Confirmed

NY Team Confirms UCLA Tabletop Fusion

They are not yet exploring this as an energy source, but as a neutron generator. It seems like inventing the automobile to run an ice cream maker to me.

If you're not into the science (even if you are), here may be the even more fascinating specualtion: what happens to a world economy based on oil when the oil is suddenly no longer needed? Think of all the industries out there dependant upon oil (but seemingly seperated from it) that will fail. Certainly things will shift and be better in time, but I don't think there can be very many comparisons (short of war and revolution) to the world-wide economic chaos that would ensue, should "Mr. Fusion" prove real.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Right on! So what percent of the Back to the Future DeLorean is know scientifically reasonable? 20%? Looks like you scientists have your work cut out for you!

Thanks
    Oil will never go out of vogue completely. If Mr. Fusion becomes reality, then oil will lose it's relevance to transportation and power, but not to industrial production. Crude is too important in making countless materials (plastics for one) for the need to disappear altogether.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    yes oil is sill a better lubricant than fusion. But smothering your lover in fusion hasnt been tryed yet. I nominate myself in the name of science.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto
    Oil will never go out of vogue completely. If Mr. Fusion becomes reality, then oil will lose it's relevance to transportation and power, but not to industrial production. Crude is too important in making countless materials (plastics for one) for the need to disappear altogether.
    It wouldn't be out of the transportation all the way. Oil would still be used as lube for the engine. There are Synthetics out there but they don't work as well. Tires are also oil based. Sure it will put a good hurting on them but they kind of deserve it considering how bad they've ripped us off all these years!
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Oh, I absolutely agree that oil is a useful resource, but were it to be relegated to it's secondary uses (besides that of power), it would cease to be precious, and the world would be a different place. Imagine the countries dependant upon its revenue suddenly losing 90% of that.

Thanks
    Oh Damn, Iran would have economic disruption... POO!