Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

extremely frustrated

preface : my art professor is very abstract and pyscological in his approach to art.

im constantly criticised for my style as it is. i dunno if anyone here would even recognize my work if i showed you. (i guess you can check my site out)
    basically my problem with this guy is his criticism. not that he critiques me, but that after he is done mocking me.... he offers no advice.

he showed me a piece of his today.. it was an abstract that was supposed to represent and electrical outlet but to everyone in class it was two bananas... i told him i didnt like it. we argue and i end up being called a jackass because i wasnt opening my mind up to the possiblites of simplifying my work or becoming more abstract.

im a graphic design major and want to illustrate..... this guy isnt helping me
    im having a hard time expressing my frustration.....

does anyone have a similiar experience with some advice? i dunno what to do.
    "Cause now we say goodnight
    from our own separate sides
    like brothers on a hotel bed"
    ~Benjamin Gibbard

WWW.ARTOFCOLE.COM

Sketchbook

Keep a rockin conceptart

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    well, he sounds like a prick. that's as far as my reasoning takes me
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    There will always be an asshole teacher, asshole boss, asshole customer, asshole neighbor, etc... etc... And they are all just temporary annoyances.

If he doesn't respect you, you shouldn't respect him. But no matter what, especially with teachers and bosses, you always have to act like a professional. More importantly, it's just good for your own personal betterment to be level-headed, even with asshole bosses & asshole teachers.

Whenever I get annoyed with someone, I always think about that part in Resevoir Dogs where Mr. White said to Mr. Pink, "What you're supposed to do is act like a fuckin professional... not start shooting up the place!
    Last edited by CaptainInsano; February 14th, 2006 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    I had a teacher like this once.. granted it was in highschool, so it was'nt as big of a deal. I think you need to sit down and ask yourself if this is the only way to go about what you're learning. it seems like hard earned money is being paid to someone to teach you something you have no interest in. Is this the only instance like this you've had? Has he always been just teaching abstract stuff? or is this a rare occassion that he'll be so confrontational about it?

-Loren.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    your style is better than banana elcectric sockets anywayz! fight the man!

Thanks
    steal his car, crash it into the class room for your major end of year project and call it an instalation piece...

-alti

Thanks
    if ur stuck with him fighting won't help u a lot, he's either one of those abstract art idiots who do abstract work because they can't do any better. or, he actually knows what he's talkin about.
    Try to find out what he's like, u might be able to learn something from him after all.

U know i never liked Kandinsky's work but he still wrote realy good books about composition and colour wich help alot.

what i'm trying to say is that i had quiet a fiew people who where trying to show me somethin, but at that time i did not want to see it for what ever reason. Just to find it out on my own after quiet some time. So don*t make that mistake.

Thanks
    well, it looks like he's trying to teach you how to think

It's not that his views are wrong so much as he shouldn't try to force them into other people like that. Not the way he does it and certainly not in a classroom. If he's trying that hard, then odds are he doesn't understand what he's talking about either.
    You could try to psyche him out. That's usually about the only way you can overpower a teacher in the clasroom.
    Other than that, a headbutt to the middle of the face might get you in trouble but i'll bet it feels pretty good. I know at least one teacher i got an urge to beat up every once in a while.

you didn't hear it from me though

Thanks
    Do What you do, and do it so well that he can't deny what you have done. Let your actions and work speak for you. Trying to talk to abstract obsessed people is like talking to a brick wall. They will never except your point or even listen to it. The only way past that is to prove what you can do, not tell them.
    Eventually abstract based people will stop trying to force it on everyone else and we will all be left alone to do what we want to.
    But until then, Defy the mighty Titan! Defend real art skills by doing them, not talking about them.
    Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Tell him that abstract art is a complete and utter failure. The point of any artwork is to convey meaning. If the veiwer can't work out what your trying to show him then you have not done job. Abstract art is the refuge for those who think they are artists but are to lazy to bother learning the technical skills.

As far as the teacher goes tell him that you feel that he is dismissing your work and that you are unhappy with his attitude. Yes there will always be @ss-hole bosses, clients, etc. But your teacher is not your boss. He is providing a service and YOU are the client. If he is not helping you learn he is providing poor service. Having said that, teachers never see it this way, and can be a mean and vindictive bunch (some of them anyway). So your best bet is to try another class, or see if there is a different professor teachig the same subject.

Thanks
    CRØV:
    You're generalizing too much regarding abstract art. I know you're making it black and white, but come on.

Regarding teachers. Sometimes they are there to challenge you and that CAN feel a little tiresome, hehe. But as Drackster said. Try and meet him halfway instead of battling him, If he doesn't open up, then let him go. If he does open up it could get interesting. You might get some interesting pointers after that.
    Perhaps. But hey, give it a shot

-Dallas
    Rasmus Poulsen - www.technouveau.net

Thanks
    I was once told, that the purpose of art is to provoke communication, discussion and emotion... judging from what you have written, you have succeeded in those points big time.. tell him that and then leave...

that teacher sounds like a real jackass to me...

cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CRØW
    Tell him that abstract art is a complete and utter failure. The point of any artwork is to convey meaning. If the veiwer can't work out what your trying to show him then you have not done job. Abstract art is the refuge for those who think they are artists but are to lazy to bother learning the technical skills.

As far as the teacher goes tell him that you feel that he is dismissing your work and that you are unhappy with his attitude. Yes there will always be @ss-hole bosses, clients, etc. But your teacher is not your boss. He is providing a service and YOU are the client. If he is not helping you learn he is providing poor service. Having said that, teachers never see it this way, and can be a mean and vindictive bunch (some of them anyway). So your best bet is to try another class, or see if there is a different professor teachig the same subject.
    Yeah. I agree completely. His job is to help you be more fluent in visual language and if the all he can do to that extent is to piss all over your work and essentially just say "copy what I do because it's better" than it sounds like he's a pretty poor excuse for a professor.

But what you have to realize is that you are in a program that centers around fine arts. If you find someone who's willing to push you in the field of conceptual design and illustration, than you're a hell of a lot luckier than the rest of us in similar programs. I suggest you do open up a bit just in order to build a solid grounding. Just because no one over there teaches your specific genre, does not mean that they still don't have something to pass on to you. I've found this out time and time again at the school I attend despite my cynicism. It's good to allow yourself to become a bit of a renaissance man. I've taken drawing classes where we'd have people who did nothing but really bad anime and terrible, cliché world-of-warcraft fan art. They would write off anything the professor said as irrelevant to their craft and they continued with their usual mediocre work, not developing, not improving, and complacent. They ignored the fact that he had actually offered them pretty good advice on composition, proportions, anatomy and medium control. Even abstract (Oh NO! The A-WORD) artists have made conscious decisions for why they have chosen their path. You may not like what they do but it can’t hurt if you make an effort to at least try to understand it. Even if no one wants to grant you the same favor.

Your professor may be a huge asshole but also remember that it never hurts to see things from an objective point of view. Especially when it comes to your own work.

Thanks
    This is why I don't take art classes. Everyone thinks they do it best. So when you get a teacher that had some religious awakening to the art of blowing paint through a straw then he feels the whole world needs to share the experience. While that is mighty considerate of him to want to share his pleasureable experience, perhaps it is not for everyone? Since you're a graphic design major, perhaps he could teach you what design/compisition skills hes learn through abstract art.

Or you can just inject poop into his raw sienna paint.

Thanks
    Very many web site designs and just everyday's designs based on the abstract art. (Look at Tommy Hilfiger clothing fashion with its orange and blue sudden stripe on the dark or white BG http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/...FIGER_LOGO.jpg, it's a pure abstract, the idea probably taken from Piet Mondrian (look at this http://faculty.evansville.edu/rl29/a...omposition.jpg). And I can dig numerous examples for you. . Our site CA went for more abstract design recently too .
    So, an abstract art is very nice addition to art in general in my opinion . And guys, don't be quiet, if you think differently, argue your way. Too boring not hear any thoughts back.
    I agree about your art teacher. When he demands open mind from other people, he should at least start to open his own mind.
    Sveta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast