Thanks

Simon Lissaman Portfolio Review

Name: Simon Lissaman
    Education:Primarily self educated (failed art in high school)

I have a few career goals, and I'm not sure whether they are mutually exclusive or not. Most of my paid work to date has been for computer games, mostly concept art with some promotional illustration thrown in.

I want to see my work on the covers of books, magazines and comics. I also want to work on the art team of feature films and high profile games. I have approached (via post and email) a few publishers, agents and games companies but have had a lot of trouble just getting an answer, so I'm trying to figure out whether my work or my marketing needs attention.

Cheers
    Simon

Ultramarine Terminators
    This piece was created as part of a submission to Games Workshop's publishing arm, Black Library.

2000 AD
    This following three pieces were created as a cover art submission for British comic 2000AD

Durham Red

Judge Death

Judge Dredd

Concept Art

Marvel

Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    well im not a pro, however i think ur portfolio is lackin original work. I would never add stereotypical superheros to a portfolio. that's for the the jobs in high profile games.
    id suggest to to read through posts from jason manley, he said quiet alot what a good portfolio needs. i think u will find most of it in the schoolarship section.

Thanks
    Surely if you're trying to get work doing covers for Marvel, then you have to show them that you can draw their characters? Companies who own distinctive characters or intellectual property will be far more likely to contract work to the people who can demonstrate a familiarity with and understanding of their product. That's basic marketing.
    Simon Lissaman

www.simon-lissaman.com

My portfolio review thread can be found here.

Thanks
    Maybe a mix of original work and the characters of the companies your applying for would be best? You asked if it's your marketing or your art skills... I think it may be more your marketing... but a misconception of what will sell you... I currently have a few mentors/idols in the Creative Department at Universal who say that when they revue portfolios it's based on the applicants ability to creatively think..so some original concepts would be really good to include along with the other works to just prove you can do there stuff too... like... mix it up.. like a portfolio chex mix. Make it spicy. Make it yummy... and don't be afraid to be aggresive and toot your own horn.. That's important when your shooting that high... They know if you think your the best the public will think it too because you'll make them believe it... (even if your not) or so I've learned...

From a technical stand point only there is something visually unappealing about the girl with the red hair... well.. the red of the hair.. everything else seems so crips clean, shiny, in depth.. just WOW.. professional.. and her hair.. well it's very well done.. but it's wierd cause it doesn't fit the rest.. the rest of the image is in this really realistic and the hair is just.. I don't know... it's kinda... doesn't work... I wish I was more articulate so I could help state exactly what is bothering me.. but just as someone who would pick up a comic book with her on it.. I'd go "hmph. Well that hair doesn't look right. How'd HE get front cover?" I also don't like how your guys have there goodies squooshed in there pants like that.. I know they all wear tight outfits but somehow other comic artists I've seen that have done designs with the Hulk have made it less.. tacky.. looking... It's just TOO prominent.. just a bit.. like the focus is supposed to be on the amazing strength of him lifting the rock, but it's just like "lookit my crotch! grr!"

That first piece is really amazing though.. and so are the conceptuals of the guns... and the helicopter.. I'm not sure what else to say.. I think fairly it is a tiny bit from Column A.. promoting yourself and then just a Tiny bit from Column B... being real close to being "top notch" even by those high standards but not QUITE there yet... but you are SO close to being like technically perfect it's not even funny... it's humbling...