Art: Find The Stone...

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Find The Stone...

I've been re-inspired by some of the stone work that I've seen in here lately. I'll put in some of my other sculptures in this thread in the future. For now, I need som help with this piece that I haven't worked on since last summer. I got stuck and need some direction. I want to keep the one side unfinished to give this the look that he is emerging from the stone, but I'm stuck on the legs, this part just looks like crap and I can't figure a way around it, so any comments would be appreciated. This is soapstone, by the way.

Last edited by madplanet; April 16th, 2006 at 02:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Madplanet,
    Just seen your thread and Wimpo's, sketching over photos of your image might be a good way to kickstart the imagination again, especially if you have been laying off it for a while. And it may help you resolve what to do with the legs.
    Which part do you want to leave unfinished?
    It's looking interesting so far, let's see how it progresses, it's just too easy to leave stuff unfinished.
    (I don't envy you having to carve that face from that angle ! Good luck.)

Last edited by robo_3; February 15th, 2006 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks

Stone Stone Stone

Very nice pose,

my tip:

just draw over the image (in photoshop) and don't be afraid to cut to deep.
    Try new angles(cuts) and see what the result is. If it is to deep , no problem,
    try to look at it a different way and work on that.
    just sculp A LOT !

keep up the good work !

greetz

Wimpos

Thanks
    Robo_3: Thanks for the advice, I will do that to work out just what to do with the leg, I hate that part and it needs fixing bad. The part that I want to leave unfinished is the part in the last pic, the area facing us. It just looks too good to eliminate.

Wimpos: I'm a bit too nervous to cut too deep, because I could just see it cracking in half! But, then again, that's how we learn, right? Thanks for the tips, you got me inspired to work in stone again after seeing your work.

Hopefully, the weather will break here and I can get back out to the garage to hack away and I can show my progress.

Thanks
    While I'm still working on the previous piece, I thought I'd post some of my other sculptures to see what you all think. This first one was done a couple of years ago in alabaster. I went with the stone on this one and that's why it's kind of a strange image.

This was done in super sculpey and painted in acrylic.

Thanks
    Jees, mad, a whole new side of you! Post more!

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Hey Tim, thanks for checking this out. It took awhile, but here is a little update on the soapstone piece. I decided to solve my problem about the leg by tucking it under the thigh. I still don't know what to do about that chunk right in front of the leg, so any comments on that would be appreciated. I've worked on this for the last three days and it doesn't seem like much because I'm into the details. I'm fleshing out the fingers on the knee and getting at the face. The face isn't impossible, but it is difficult and time consuming. I'm farther on it since these photos were taken. I'm having fun, so more pics soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.