Thanks

Using c'righted material as source for portfolio pieces?

I've really enjoyed participating in the weekly activities here on CA, it's rebuilt enough confidence in my work to tackle a long-term project to produce a showpiece. I'd like to use one of my favorite series of books as the inspirational base, essentially doing character dev and illustrational pieces using the cast from the series of Chanur novels by C.J. Cherryh.

For portfolio-only use, what's the current general industry attitude toward interpreting another's IP in this way? It's probably a more sensitive subject than it was long ago when I last considered such a project; is it now considered a heinous faux pas? Would it be wise to seek permission of the IP owner first?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Don't worry about it, you're fine.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    True? Wouldn't that be illegal since you're using someone else's intellectual property for your personal benefit (getting a job)?

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Nope.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    dfacto: there's a part of the US copyright code that defines "fair use," that may apply in this situation. no lawyer myself, so i'd rather get some informed and experienced opinions.

Elwell: thank you for the prompt answer.

Thanks
    To clarify futher...
    If you are using these strictly as portfolio pieces, and not publishing them in any way, then there's no problem whatsoever. If you were to post them on a website you would still be fine, but the polite thing to do would be to drop Ms. Cherryh a line and ask if she minds. I can't imagine she'd have any objections, as authors are usually glad to see other's visualizations of their characters and worlds. She'd probably be even more understanding than most, as her brother is the illustrator David Cherry.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Yes, I intended to contact Ms. Cherryh before making anything publically viewable, as on a website, but probably wouldn't pursue the project to my intended scope if portfolio use was restricted. Again, I appreciate your insight. The info about her brother is interesting; I knew about the re-spelling of her last name but never made the connection.

Thanks
    And to clarify even further...
    As long as you don't get inspiration from a character already in an artwork (masque I know you,re basing yourself on litterature material. Just for the other artists out there.). I've seen images of well known game character (ok) drawn in a specific artist style (ok) in a very dynamic pose (ok!). BUT I found out that this person actually copied an image from a mag and did redraw it from scratch with no tracing etc. It was still a ripoff and got his portfolio caned pronto. Especially since there was no mention of the original author whatsoever.
    Basically you can do whatever you want with your portfolio. Besides of course what is obvious for most of us here ; direct copy. Don't get me wrong tho ! If you do a master's study it's fiiiiiiiine because you don't claim to be the creator of the original. Just wanted to state the obvious for the less experienced crowd...