Sketchbook: Massive update... im a lazy sunuva ... 11 may
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Massive update... im a lazy sunuva ... 11 may

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Massive update... im a lazy sunuva ... 11 may

Ok Im not going into why I havent been dedicated before. I've been going through some stuff. No more talk. This will be a weekly sketch dump. But I'll basicly be posting as often as I can, that could be 2 or 3 times a week.

10 minute self portrait

Last edited by Tobin; May 11th, 2006 at 09:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some pen gestures from my non digital sketchbook and then some different attempts at painting.. im gonna just keep experimenting till i get something I like.

last two deleted to save my index finger from arthritis with the mouse wheel.

Last edited by Tobin; March 18th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start Tobin, looks like I see some hogarth and possibly Peck as a resource for some of these studies you have here. Both good choices in my opinion. Check out Loomis if you haven't already. Vilppu is a must as well. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, yeah as you will see i use hogarth, but i try not to follow him strictly.

here is another update, doing my best to keep this as regular as possible.

some hogarth studies and a life sketch of my bro watching seinfeld, oh and trying to get to grips with nose placement. did all this last night.

and then earlier today i did this just to see if it sank in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more non digital sketchbook pages..

and getting closer to finding a rendering method i like, this is still very loose of course.

oh yeah no ref on any of that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting some momentum now..

a few skulls with alotta help from mentlers studies (thanks if you read this), still not quite there but im trying as many odd angles as I can and trying to understand the form rather than scribbling till it looks right. Still progressing but slowly.

This next is half an a4 page with 24 skulls, i was too tired last night to finish them at like 3am or whatever but i'll get cracking on them tonight

another page with some skulls

and then some ps doodles of skulls

Im gonna focus on skulls for a while till i get them right, then move on to hands and feet and then limbs and back to the torso.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deleted, was same images as above.

Last edited by Tobin; March 18th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did this doodle just there..

hehe, I gotta lay off the reefer.. so godamn lazy, got up this morning at 9, which is like a huge deal for me ( I work nights 2 or 3 times a week and have become nocturnal) I have a few hours before i have to go to work but just cant get my mind around doing some studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo man, diligent studies! Would like to see more from stuff life like the Mark watching Seinfeld. Also, pirates are awesome, even when killing the wrong people. Goo stuff man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good skull sketches there Tobin! ARRRGGGG!!! Nice pirate doodle too. Keep em comin bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those images are now showing.. strange.

andy: I want to do more life drawings, but my family dont like posing.. so I have wait till they are concentrating on something to draw 'em (and even then Its usually just profiles so they dont catch me), I would go back and do some more life drawing classes but I cant afford them, money and time wise. But i'll try to get my shit together and do some more life stuff.

gmags: thanks, im definitely keeping them coming.. first time in years i've felt like im getting somewhere, and i'd like to get there faster

that page of skulls, To be honest i got bored and gave up on 24, but what I learned from those 14 skulls has helped me quite a bit with heads.

Heres a head now:

And another:

They aren't perfect but I know where im going wrong, i need to be a bit more consistent with my angles.

heres part of a page from my sketchbook:

and here it is again with a little fixing and speedpainting, with my two new brushes that i made from scanning a 00 brush with indian ink, which i will try to use in my non digital book some more:

Next on the agenda is hands and feet and some value studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice practice of the human anatomy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dalynn1985
    nice practice of the human anatomy

Thanks, yeah i've almost got it perfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    was real busy with work this week, didnt get a chance to do much, but i did make some cash so i went and bought a load of painting and drawing supplies. and got my self a loyalty card for 10%.. yay.

I bought a small sketch book too so I can try and do more lifedrawing. which i have put on the back burner for quite some time now.

pages 1+2

I also got some artists ink, which is very interesting to work with.

Pages 3+4

My older brother using the laptop after a night out, and steves legs.

pages 5+6

My ickle brother watching fraiser. he always has a puss on his face.

yeah so work has eased off again and i have a free house the folks are gone away so i'll have loads of time to draw this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick concept for cohesion, quite annoying that my boss asked me to cover his shifts the week the cohesion happened, but i needed the money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok been a few days... but i havent been slacking off, i've gots pages and pages of scribbles, but most of them are just me getting my head around things they are barely legible.. here are two things i did yesterday, i came up with a system of measurements for the hand, (yeah I traced the hand but i was just thinking about measurements didnt want to have a "wrong" hand that i drew for it) and then another torso/value study...

Im getting tired of studies, i know they are doing me the world of good, but im gonna start working on some finished pieces for a while for my sanity, i've done nothing but studies for about a month now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I give you mad props for having the discipline to even do studies. But finished pics do keep the blood warm and running. The skull studies are looking good. Hope to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lukavi
    I give you mad props for having the discipline to even do studies. But finished pics do keep the blood warm and running. The skull studies are looking good. Hope to see more.
    Thanks man, I've never had the drive before to do studies, I never got anything out of them before, but something clicked in me recently.. i think its the fear of pumping petrol for the rest of my life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some sketches.. was intoxicated when drawing.. dont look as good now as they did then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some doodles n'd quickies. i know i said i wanted to do some finished pieces but i think i might work on some forearm anatomy and hands and feet for a while.

edit:hehe got a bit ahead of myself there, will have pics up in a minute

this one was an experiment with ps layer blends.

here is the original sketch

and this one is a horrible pink marker for flesh tones that i changed in ps.

can the torso actually turn that much ?

any advice just shout it out.

Last edited by Tobin; March 16th, 2006 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice work here! The "horizen" is basically the same as the viewers eye level. Using the idear of the cubes that you were drawing the skulls in, you should be able to draw a horizen line (eye level) block in the cubes for the figure in perspective, and then fill in the actual fugure. I've always kind of thought that this method is a little stiff for most uses, but as a learning tool and for use in studies, the method seems sound...

I really enjoyed what you have so far, and look forward to seeing more. The studies are great (as has been said), but you do need to do some more life, and just imagination drawings to balence it out. I know you said that your family doesn't like to pose, but that doesn't rule out self portraits!

Oh... and yes, the torso can turn that much, but only for a moment (like when you're swinging a baseball bat, or throwing a punch). It's basically considered the furthest reach of a turn, and the most dynamic position.

Good work, and keep 'em comin'!
    Later.
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kingcoyote, Me and a friend (he is doing animation in college) have decided to start going drawing in public places, just as soon as he is a little less busy (man, I enjoy having no responsibility). And I'm going to go back and start doing some more abstract work, i just wanted to get the human figure really good so I can use it when i want to.

here is leela, i came up with a skull to work with a cyclops a new nose layout but its still completely unbelievable because the size of the eye ball would take up most of the skull. but It works on an aesthetic level i guess.

im gonna do the whole futurama gang i think, its something fun to do. more to do on this one before im finished though, then zoidberg

oh and feel free to give out to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so im still working on that leela, im not gonna keep posting it I'll post it when its finished, Bought da vincis sketchbooks, learning an awful lot from it, did some arm studies, it might not show here, because i've been reading and examining alot with my mind but i understand the arm alot better now, and the contraction and relaxation of muscles, hopefull it'll start showing, I used to just go for broke on the arm with really simplified forms, but that'll all change.

More tomorrow or later on tonight, really enjoying da vincis sketchbooks, real interesting and a great resource for learning

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very cool studies man... keep them up!! i'm in the same process as you... trying to learn as much as i can right now while is till have free time on my hands.

check out http://www.tsofa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 - and their anatomy studies. mentler is freakin awesome at teaching anatomy and there's a thread for every part of the body. D

Last edited by MattGamer; March 22nd, 2006 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, with this thorough scaling and mapping out of the anatomy, Toby will improve at a very high rate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your building up a good knowledge of anatomy! Definately check out mentlers thread, he does some great exercises that you can copy yourself. Your starting to get better at form in general and your lines are more confident than in you first posts.

I can see in a few of the sketches and in a couple of the paints that it looks like there has been quite a lot of detail put in..Detail is fine for larger drawings or paintings, but if its small then too much detail can get messy. Hinting at areas, like fingers, by drawing a solid outline of a hand with a few lines can give the viewer enough info to be able to recognise it as a hand. The same with feet and eyes, on a small head a few lines would be better than trying to draw in the lids, pupil etc..

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MattGamer: Cheers, free time is actually quite expensive. remember that. spend it wisely... i've spent far too much of mine on drink and drugs...

Cold: thanks cold, I look forward to seeing more in your sketchbook.

yAdam: Yeah I really admire mentler, he has a great knowledge.. helps me without even knowing he is doing so, he really should get this book out, some of his methods are the best I've seen.

As for simplifying, I'm doing my best not to do that at the moment, trying not to shy away from things (as soon as I know exactly how the detail should be i'll simplify more and more...) although i have been shying away from hands and feet for a while... im getting cracking on those this week.

some more forearm studies... getting to grips with it now, I find it to be one of the most difficult forms of the whole body...

some silly notes to myself, I fell off/onto a wall on paddys day and really hurt my leg its all swollen and i cant work for a week.. and have to rest it alot... so its good for drawing i guess. This i didn't plan this one at all it kind of shows, quite quick though, bout 5 or so minutes, no ref of course

and this one again 5 or so minutes no ref, didnt plan this one right either.. i dont think im thinking straight cause of the drugs im on for my leg.. yeah thats it... its the drugs...

yeah so i hope do alot in this week off, and hopefully stop messing up my proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aghh cutting it close 6 days, I've been working away just my scanner is an inconvient position and my leg is still killing me.

feet studies + torso

random constipated guys

loads of little people

these two are just me trying to fin a nice monochromatic colour scheme with water colours and ink

Ok Im started to get alot more confident with my anatomy, it really is time to start doing something with it... I know if I spend some time with a drawing i can get it to look right, most of the sketchs in this book are less than a few minutes, its strange a lot of people would describe me as a very patient guy, but when it comes to art i just lose touch... same when im playing guitar... anyway the point is im fairly happy at the level im at now, not content but happy, so time to start doing some finished works... ramble ramble

lemme know what you think or whatever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    inktests:

some sketchbook stuff, the pants where painted over a sketch in photoshop just a design idea.

Some concepts:
    this one i tried to finish but made a mess of it, I might still try and fix it in photoshop, but its not that interesting a piece so I might just redo it completely

and

let me know what you think !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty cool stuff. i like the leela sketch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.