You are mine
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: You are mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You are mine

An oil crayon drawing I did over the last two evenings. All helpful comments welcome. A dis is welcome too.

later8)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The woman is quite beautiful but the baby is not so cute.
    She is dreaming about having a baby, right?
    Because this could also be read as her holding a bubble with a disembodied head in it.
    I really don't know how to interpret this.

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree with the above. The perspecitve on the figure needs some work. The right shoulder is smashed into the picture in a really wierd way that doesn't read well. I would redraw it so that both the curve of that arm becomes the second breastand the shoulder is obscured by the breast bone, as if the woman is standing with shoulders back. Also, your background will have some more depth if you layer it with different shades/strokes to get some richer texture like in the face.

Just some suggestions. It's a nice concept and a great sentiment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks!

Thanks for the help! No, that isn't a baby in the bubble. I started this a few days ago after work and that's how I felt, Like I am in a bubble and my life is in the hands of someone else. That is simply how I felt and the picture is the result. I need to take your suggestions and redo piece. I think it will be much better the second go-round.

8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's something most people don't know: The reason babies generally don't turn out right is that facially, not just bodily, they're not proportionately comaprable to adults. When drawing a grown person's face, the general rule is that the eyes are at the head's halfway point. Not true for babies. They're faces are actually located on the bottom third of the head. So move that face down, make the lips less full, and tighten the eyes, because right now it just looks like an ugly bald man with down syndrome. And, concerning the eyes, they're too white. They look to be bulging. Make sure you shade in there. Woman's very nice though, however, her head is flattened compared to the rest of the body. I think it's because of the way you did the neck, it's flushed out. Furthermore, you tried to fit it in there. The neck actually shouldn't fit in the piece, it's too far over on the shoulder. Love the breast, though.

Socks are essentially glorified wooly wang covers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are at a place now where it is quanity over quality. Lean into your work, trust it, let it be your teacher, stay out of your head, be in action....for the next several years. Copy some old masters, make messes, make your studio a safe place for you to do what you need to be.

About 1/3 of the way into almost every art I have done my inner critic kicks in and say shit like " you can't draw, what are your parents going to think of this, what is art for?" What I learned from this voice is not who I am but WHERE I am, which is about 1/3 of the way into a piece and it almost always looks like shit then. But as I stay with the piece, it ALWAYS turns out better than I imagined - always. This is what separates artists from non artist, we keep working.

~M

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.