Messy Messy Oil Paint
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Messy Messy Oil Paint

Well, I'm considering using oil paints for today's DSG. I've been using a diffrent medium everyday so far. Problem is I've never used oil paints and don't have any paint thinner. So before I jump into the project I need a few quick tips. Simple things like if I should try using thicker bristly paint brushes or fine watercolour type paint brushes and how I might clean them afterwards. My biggest concern is cleanning the brushes afterwards. I have a suspicion sticking brushes full of oil paint under the tap won't do anything. Other than that I'm just experimenting.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    any oil or oil thinner will help clean your brushes.
    you can dip them in vegetable oil, though turpentine is better, and then squeeze out the excess paint.
    once you get the majority of oil out,
    wash then under warm water with ivory soap.
    keep brushing back and forth, squeezing out the paint ocassionally, until it is TOTALLY clean.
    (that may take 5 minutes)

if this is your first time, i recommend bristle brushes.
    they wont allow the paint to get too thick.
    meaning, it wont get as muddy either.
    though, it really depends at what size you are working.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok. Thank you very much. that helps immensly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah water wont do shit, it will just bounce off the paint. seriously the stuff is cheap like 5 bucks for a can, u can even get smaller ones, turpintine or mineral spririts.

edit: insta reply

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Daler Rowney make a water washable brush cleaner that doesn't smell bad at all, haven't tested it myself yet though.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz057/16/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I personally would warn agaist using oils without some kind of solvent, particularly if you've never used them before. To me, it just spells "recipe for disaster" and might discourage you from using them in the future if things don't go well. Why don't you have any turpenoid/turpentine/mineral spirits?

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Winsor & Newton makes a brand of oil paint called "Artisan Water Mixable Oil Colour." It is oil paint that can cleaned up with soap and water instead of solvents.

Oh my gooosssh, the future of paint has arrived! The future you say!

"You mean you don't make sound effects when you're painting?" -David Tillinghast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might wanna try starting with H2Oil. Water alone can wash it off. You can mix it with acrylic paint too, so you can control how fast it'll dry and stuff. Just be mindful of how you mix your paints. I smudge a lot myself, so in my case, i can usually finish a 80x100 canvas with the same tubes i used to from the beggining. But if you want to thicken your paint, you'll be in for some serious spending. In either case, figuring out just how much solvent you need to add can be a nightmare for a beginner. You might get your paint too thick to spread right for setting up the base colors for instance (typical problem i had), and end up spending almost a whole tube where you wouldn't even have to spend half, and then the paint might get too thick to paint over, so you'll have to use even more on the second round. It'll come to you with experience though, just as long as you don't get discouraged. If possible, it'd be better if you asked someone with experience to help you out at first.

Last edited by K-17; February 10th, 2006 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demco makes a non-toxic turpentine substitute.

Watch out..I have an oil class and officially have oil on all of my clothes.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Turpenoid (non toxic turpentine substitute) is good stuff for cleaning brushes. Not great for mediums though.

I like odourless mineral spirits for a solvent. It doesn't smell and doesn't give me headaches, but it's still very toxic.

I hear it's a really really bad idea to use one of those citrus solvents. They smell ok, but they're *very* toxic.

Personally, I get annoyed with paint when it isn't thinned at all. I like thin paint, and you can't do any glazing at all without thinners. Glazing is good!

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BTW, if you get paint on your clothes, you can still save them if you act fast. Have some blue soap and solvent (turpentine will do just fine) and a water tap nearby, then pour some solvent over the stain and scrub. Repeat as you see fit then wash when the stain is gone.

You need to be really fast with acrylic paint btw, since it dries up in like 5 minutes, but it's doable.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.