Monster Hunter 2!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monster Hunter 2!

ok, so I played the shit out of the first one, and still consider it to be one of the finest examples of environment and creature design. A trailer for the second one just came out, and it looks to be really sweet... definetly one to keep an eye out for...

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=yes&id=2151

Here are some images from the first game:
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!

Last edited by oracrest; February 10th, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, if anyone ends up picking up the first one, lemme know and we can do some quests online together. Sammy, saceydiana and I have been rocking some serious monster hunter at my place the last few weeks. The great thing about it is it doesnt punish a low level player for joining in with a higer level one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG..this game is wounderfull...hats off to oracrest for monster hunter party hosting...he who has internet...

seriously...whats better than leveling up via costumes that you create by hacking stuff to bits? And the "stuff" is toothy scaley dragon/monster time? This game is total inspiration. When it comes to this genre.."hack and slash with RPG elements?" RPG being costume/weaponry creation level up...free roaming of sorts...it's hard to think of a competitor...(it makes me think of SotC in a way)
    Ora's totally right about the interplay available between levels....i'm a level 4 noob and he's a 20..but the game allows for me to still run along like an idiot, kill stuff and reap the benifits of hanging round higher level hommies.

this game eats away at my time....and it feels so good

(I cannot wait for this sucker (MH1) to hit PSP...sweet lord portable goodness)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So Oracrest, the first one was good eh? I may have to check it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    So Oracrest, the first one was good eh? I may have to check it out.
    Well, it certainly has its flaws, but also a lot of pluses. Generally, I cant get into online games because the stupidity and obnoxiousness of other players completely kills any sort of immersion or experience the game designers ever hoped to achieve. Also, I find online games (mmorpgs anyway) have a very large world and all, but because of that, EVERYTHING is completely watered down. Everything is generic looking, and there are almost no art assets that dont get duplicated and recycled over and over and over.

Monster Hunter deals with these issues that I generally have. There is no headset communication, but this turns out to be good, because for the most part, you are co-operating with other players, and there no contemperary dialogue getting thrown around in a fantasy setting (for the most part)
    Also, there evnironments arent watered down. In fact, they are among the best environments I have ever seen in a game. Every nook and cranny of each area is packed with individual detail. Check out these beautiful landscapes.......
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!

I simply love the creature design. In an industry where spikes, black leather, and whatever else looks "cool" is the cornerstone of so much art direction *cough* God Of War *cough*, its refreshing to see a game that does its research and concieves of enemies on a more realistic level:
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!

Even their typical "cutesy japanese characters" are within the context of the overall art direction, and not some stylised pikachu plopped into an otherwise realistic world:
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!

It tends to shine most in multiplayer, which is probably another reason why it got such bad reviews. The single player isnt nearly as fulfilling. The game was definetly built around the concept of taking a bunch of friends with you to go slay the big huge dragon together. There is also a lot of enjoyment for me out of the OCD addictiveness of going out and harvesting different monster parts to deck your guy out in custom armor and weapons.

All in all, I definetly loved the art direction most with Monster Hunter, and happened to find a very addictive game underneath. It bums me out to see games like this released without so much as an honorable mention for best art direction, environments, or character design in any lists that I have seen.

Last edited by oracrest; February 15th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and man, I just realized I started a Monster Hunter 2 thread without any screens for it, so here ya go: these levels look even better than before!

Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!
    Monster Hunter 2!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definately getting mh2. I had read some dissapointing reviews of mh1, so it kinda slipped under my radar. I thouht it looked pretty cool, but I still never got it. Im definately picking up a copy of this.

also, for you psp fans, last i heard theres monster hunter portable coming out in march (?). more details later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Oracrest. I'll proabably go ahead and get both. Lemme ask you one more question, do the battles take plave in real time or are they turn based?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve
    Thanks Oracrest. I'll proabably go ahead and get both. Lemme ask you one more question, do the battles take plave in real time or are they turn based?
    they are real time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man when's the release date? Im also looking forward to the PSP version of MH1... I need to try to hookup my ps2 to the internet now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by review
    "Capcom's latest chapters into the Monster Hunter series, Monster Hunter Portable and Monster Hunter 2 (Dos), have shipped a combined total of over 1 million units!
    -Monster Hunter 2 sets series record, shipping 500,000 units within 2 days of release-

Capcom is pleased to announce that Monster Hunter 2 (Dos) for the PlayStation® 2 (PS2) system has reached 500,000 units shipped as of February 17, 2006; within 2 days of its February 16, 2006 Japanese release. Combined with Monster Hunter Portable for the PlayStation® Portable (PSP™) system, the latest installments in the Monster Hunter series have shipped over 1,000,000 units in Japan.

In the Monster Hunter series, the player becomes a hunter roaming a vast wildness in search of incredibly strong, powerful monsters. This Hunting Action game series, with its depth and breath-taking graphics, has garnered strong word of mouth as a game that even those unfamiliar with Hunting Action games can enjoy to the fullest. The first game in the series, Monster Hunter for PS2, breathed new life into the action genre with its originality, eventually garnering the coveted Most Distinguished Game award at the GAME AWARDS 2002-2003. Furthermore, Monster Hunter Portable, released end of last year for the PSP™, has also surpassed the 500,000 units shipped mark, becoming a key hit title in driving PSP™ sales in Japan.

As the latest entry in the series, Monster Hunter 2 (Dos) does not simply add new weapons, armor, and hunter's awards; it also introduces players to day and night in the game world, breeding season, and climate changes. By introducing these concepts of season and time, players can enjoy an unprecedented variety of hunting situations. The new powerful monsters lurking in the swamps and snow covered mountains that make up part of the harsh lands of the hunting "field" are eager to greet the latest group of would-be hunters! Also, by connecting via USB to a PSP™ with Monster Hunter Portable, players can enjoy a number of new elements in the game! "
    sales seem to be good in japan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never picked up the original, because I couldn't see myself playing online at the time, but I'll definitely be picking up the PSP version. Part 2 is looking great.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.