Sketchbook: 7 - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 7

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SirGreenSock - I envy your freakishly long holidays Ours is 10 weeks, how long are yours? Anyway, thanks man! I bought some 2B leads which really help in the dark department I think, still got a bit more to go though...

lol lots of text, TEAL DEER:

Alright, firstly, one really freaky tidbit I just found, That last Bouguereau study I did of "The Flagellation Of Christ" was my 666th sketchbook page scanned how freaky is that?!?! And I found it out because it was the last image I scanned before this update, and was like "cool, 666 pages.... WTF?!" otherwise I wouldnt have noticed.... Im scared

anyway, I tried drawing stuff from imagination for more than 3 hours on thursday, just ended up being frustrated at everything and erased and erased and then threw the pen away and left =/ I learnt that Im thinking way too much about trying to make a good drawing than to actually draw, so I tried fixing that the day after...

Heres sketches in ballpoint, i.e. I couldnt erase, just tried to get stuff down quickly and thinking the opposite of what I did on thursday

then some more sketches

Then I couldnt be bothered anymore =/

Today I woke up with new energy though, heres the stuff from today

Hands, trying to get back into the habit of drawing the litte buggers

Sketches

More hands

Heads from imagination, bleuurgerruurgherururuuruurgrgrgrg

SP, honestly dont know wth happened to it, I was pretty confident with the lines but then it just ended up shite

sketcherdoodles

Studies

And lastly, a cheesy imagination page

Oh and Ive started drawing people from life lots (well to my standars anyway) I find it waaay more enjoyable now that I understand more about drawing, its still insanely hard though
    So yeah, these are from subways and school

cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Tjenare ;P
    The progress that you've made since page one is insane! It's off the chart! Mindblowing! Incredible!
    I love your self portraits and all the faces that you've drawn, you seem to have a good hand with anatomy too
    I'll follow your example and start doing the Loomis-studies and the 3-poses-per-day thing

offtopic:
    Om du har msn så får du gärna adda mig Skulle vara kul att snacka med någon annan konstnär i Sverige, och du bor ju t om nära ;P
    cynical_coalition@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wooo seriously, amazing improvement , keep on going
    and show us some color
    i think that progress deserves some shining stars!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo! Your rendering is getting better, hope you can see that! Particularly enjoying those studies man i really should do some to.

Good to see your right back on track, definatly keep doing what your doing! perhaps exp abit with your value, id be interested to see you try limit yourself to defined values-say 2 midtones then really black darks- then make sure its consistant through the picture when you lay in the value, hopefully you understand lol D: anyway thats just an excersise you could do...

looking good man, keep it up~!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh our holidays are about the same lenght, from the end of June until September (though now in college the year ends in like May )

Looking good, nice to see you're drawing the people around you. Dont get frustrated with them, it takes some time to get the confidence, speed and memory to do them to your liking, just keep on working at it!
    Imagination work keeps really picknig up! In terms of rendering theyre still lacking, keep trying to do a more complete render, though your problem could be lack of rendering in your studies as well. Love the hands and the self portrait, but I still want to see both bigger on a page. Dedicate a page to one or two bigger more detailed hand studies, and a page to a bigger self portrait.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zynic - Thanks alot man! added you to msn

WhiteC - thank you dude!

Spade - thanks bro, Ive been meaning to do that excersise, look for it soon! keep at it

SirGreenSock - thanks alot man! yeah drawing people is very hard, hopefully ill be able to build up confidence with them soon. I think you are right about the rendering, although I think its mostly because Im playing around alot with it now, not worrying about rules and such too much, but yeah Ill try to kick that up a nothch in quality
    Did the bigger SP and Hand studies today, definently gave me more room to study details and composition!

Aight, bigish updated here, been working out alot of stuff in my head, trying to drop my ego and realising that I cant be expected to pull off a masterpiece, I havent even done a full year of drawing yet! thats a summary of it anyway... on to ye sketches

Started doing watercolours! love the medium so much that Im waking up in the middle of the night and realising that ive been painting in my dreams

So yeah, heres the watercolours, honestly dont know much about what im doing though... maybe someone could link me some good tutorials? The colours are coming out a bit weird sometimes though thanks to my super excellent scanner that I love so very very much...

Sps, playing around

Doodle and 2 hands

A classmate, done for school

more SPs

And a study of my neighbors house, took waaay too long

And heres people from life, mostly classmates... Its not all of the pages but the moslty look like this anyway, small facial features drawn before someone moves and then the ocasional more developed ones... finding it pretty fun though, hopefully Ill work out how to do it soon

And heres the sketchbook stuff, trying to work stuff out as I said earlier

A character

hands

Quick sketches

Bleeeuurugrugurh

Imagination page, probobly wont be doing these anymore, I think they are doing me more harm than good, hence its unfinished

Sketchies

Ink-brush-thingo SP + hands

More sketches

Last edited by archipelago; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continued:

Bridgeman studies

SP, first one Im happy with in a while

Another sketch, at this point Im realising that I definently need to start finishing stuff abit more, so Im working on it

moar

Hands

A bigger SP, fun fun the values are perhaps abit weak though, altough I tried focusing the contrast around the eyes

Bigger hands, these were very frustratings so Ill try em again tomorrow

And another sketch

cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As always Sweet work!
    It shows that you are very devoted to becoming better and better, and that makes you a pretty good role model ;D
    At least for us newbies.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great effort! man your doin everything atm, experimenting with media, size speed etc good stuff. definatly try to do some even longer stuff, maybe do like an a2 or a3 sp over a whole day or a cast study or something-something that will really push you! stick with the watercolours man, keep branching out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there dude.
    To put it frankly, Your progress is mindboggling.
    Page 1 is a complete misnomer to your sb, same with me I g!uess. It means that youre dedicated, enjoying the art, with a will to learn!
    Youre rendering is improving, but it can do with some work.
    Ill go by on your last sp.
    What it lacks is a good smoothing over, more definition.
    I suggest buying a pacer(mechanical pencil) like 0.5 in hb, and just using the sharpness of it to get in there.
    With my rendering, I start with a really fat 2b pencil, and go over most of it except the light bits. Then I pull out my mech-pencil and hatch in some more values. The most important things to be doing with pencils are achieving strong contrast, and if you can pull that off, it usually looks a lot better.
    Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zynic - thanks man!
    Spade - Sporks? lol! atm I think that would kill me, I tried doing an A2 one from imagination before but more on that later
    Blanquish - thanks alot! good tips there, Ill keep on working on my rendering abit more

Had a pretty big slump this week, and I dont really know why either... I started working on an A2 drawing from imagination (a fantasy battlescene type thing) because I was at a loss at what to study/draw, but it felt like such a huge drag working on it and I realised it wasnt fun in the slightest and made me draw much less so I stopped working on it (I cant be bothered scanning it in)... After that I was even more clueless at what to do... oh well 'tis over now and I dont even remember how I was thinking

teh pictures

some people from life, again, not all of them, first one is my bro, second one is classmates/peter jacksson

hands, need to do bigger ones like these more

random sketch

Quick cast studies

quick heads from imagination

Loomis!

SP and pez hands

Sketches

And a little fan-art doodle of the best movie evarrr, BARBARELLA!

loomis!

ballpoint!

sketcherdoodles and lyrics

head studies from Bammes, Bridgman and a little bit of loomis

heads from imagination

Pen SP (dropped the pen on floor = flat tip = no more pen for me ) and some thick pen hands

random studies

sketcheroos

thickie pen and arms from life

And sketches

Last edited by archipelago; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap!! I hardly ever see such progress in such a short amount of time! I had to go back and double check the first page to see that it was started in 2006, I couldn't believe it. That's just awesome man, hope you keep it up and keep pushing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff archipelago, your sb inspires me to do more studies !
    this pages is ma favorite so far

keep it up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good studies!! You improve your skills very fast, my compliments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good! I seriously like what you showed me by making those heads. Im trying to figure it out with planes n stuff. and good old loomis only tells a bit from the whole story. anyway, I really like these, keep it up!
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../Archi-722.jpg

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your studies are getting tighter...i got nothin except just to keep going..great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, that's a really nice sketchbook. haven't noticed it so far. fast improvement, dozens of pages..........keep on drawing like a maniac

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work man, just gets better and better. Studies are looking good, pencils is getting way more controlled and your contrast is looking nice. Dont be afraid of working the darks more, other than that... keep going! update more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh crap, i had written a response when i accidently clicked a link- then i did it again! aagh
    Anyway, studies are coming along great, the anatomy is solid, and is still getting better.
    As well as your usual studies, you might want to learn a bit from the old masters, especially michelangelo and da vinci.
    Im doing some studies right now, and i can tell they are useful.
    If i have one cmplaint, its that the heads all look quite similar. A way around this is just experimenting with different jaw lines, eyes, haircuts etc, and just shifting proportions a little.
    Nice work on the stars, I added an extra .17 to it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck... You've made a ton of progress. I'm jealous. The only crit I was gonna give you was to clean up your hatching, it can get distracting if it's not organized by form or general directon, but it looks like you're taking care of that already. It's possible to translate Bammes with one of those language translation programs, I would recommend doing that since his method differs from other folks methods. I downloaded that book the other day, so it's on my to do list.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, haven't been by here in a while. Man, amazing progress going on here. I wish I had a more specific crit, but just keep doing what your doing. You seem to know what your doing.

BTW- Check out THIS link here for some sweeeet Bammes PDFs etc.
    BTW2- Did you get your Bamme's book in print? If so, where? I can't find it anywhere, and I don't feel like printing off 450+ pages just so I don't have to draw in front of the comp.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woa , thanks for all the comments people! and the stars too! although, I really dont think I deserve them

runtosaurus - thanks alot man

WhiteC - thank you those are studies of some photos in a bammes book by the way

Dreamworker - thanks dude!

Banshax - Thanks alot! planes are important, yeah, but whats even more important is understanding why they are there, i.e. how facial muscles and bones make those planes apear as they do. Another important thing to do is to compare your heads with photos or preferably from life, making mental notes on where you might be doing something wrong.

rodrigo! - thanks dude!

Tec - cheers

Spade - sup bro, Ill try to push the darks even more right now Im trying out updating abit less, seems to work fine with me, turns into abit of a drag after doing it practicly everyday for 6 months

blanquish - Oh man, I hate it when that happens! especially when updating your sketchbook *knock on wood*
    Yeah, Ive done some master studies before, mostly Bouguereau, very useful I agree Im hoping drawing lots of people from life will help with my heads all looking the same, so thats what Im trying to do at the moment (they are usually way too ugly to post though )

Armando - Thanks alot man! I dont generally trust those translation programs, they usually just confuse you even more

Cup of Joe - thanks alot dude! and yeah I got it from here : http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3363...teway&v=glance

Alright, heres the mandatory nagging session for this update:
    I cant think of anything to draw! I want to draw, I enjoy drawing, but I dont really enjoy doing the same excercises everyday which it mostly comes down to... Only drew 3 pages today for example because most of the time was spent trying to figure out what to study and then being distracted by other things, It seems like theres only a handful of different things I do, either its anatomy studies, SPs and hands, drawing from imagination or the ocasional watercolours... Thats my best explanation anyway, gets real frustrating sometimes...

Also, another nag lol, wtf is up with photobucket throwing in the images out of order all of a sudden? makes it a pain in the ass to update in cronological order =/

heres are le sketches:

Weak SP and hands

Started lifedrawing again! although I greatly overestimated myself, I thought it would be pretty easy now that Ive studied for most of the summer... LOL!!!!!!! heres some 5/10 min poses:

random sketches

was majorly pissed of at something when I did this doodle

SP focusing on composition + hands, realised the sexiness that is lines been trying to focus abit more on them from here on...

more hands

loomis!

more hands!

Sketcheroos

Studies after waking up

Non-reffed stuff

*random note, I think my keyboard need new batteries and I need like a bajillion of them hopefully Ill be able to finish this update *

Last edited by archipelago; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to have to break this update in two because I use a bajillion smilies

Stuff done infront of a mirror

More studies

Meh, bammes head studies + ballpoint SP

Chillaxation sketches

Hands

Watercolour playing around, Ill be damned if I ever figure out how to get the correct hues lol

And more random sketches

Cheers!!

Last edited by archipelago; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice, hands are getting noticably stronger. I know exactly what you mean with the whole.. what do i do then distracted and such. Wouldnt worry to much your doing good, if you really get in moods where you dont just wanna study work on your imagination it is a good thing to practise as well

mmm well good work, i really need to work harder lol. Keep it up dude!

edit:: for clarity, i dont mean just draw an imagination page, cause that can be frustrating if your not happy with it. But you can work on things like, composition-how to make a page look good-what balances acheive what results, what you want to convey with your image, how to achieve different moods, what makes an image pleasant-experiment with this stuff!

Last edited by Spade; September 9th, 2006 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow plentiful update,I think you make more good studies
    continues in this way because you rock
    ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Archipelago, tnx for stopping by in my SB.

Damn keep that output up and you`ll be going extremely fast in your progress. I really enjoy looking at your Anatomy studies,
    Hatching, heads, bones n muscles, body tilt, hands. in fact A lot of stuff is just plain educative!

Keep it up youre going so well. I could pick a lot of stuff i really liked, this one was first. Great stuff man. Keep pushing your skills and imagination!

I like your understanding of the torso and torque with muscles. Really cool to look at.
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../Archi-582.jpg

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that price right? That comes out to like, 80 US dollars.
    Anyway, more good stuff. I'm drawing a blank crit-wise, but I think your legs may be getting a tad long in places. Keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very impressive man! youre improving heaps. keep up the hard work! the hands are in particular very nice. those life drawings were great but im worried they look a bit small. make sure you work big!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your a shooting star, you shooting star you

Last edited by draw; September 16th, 2006 at 06:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spade - thanks dude, the thing is though, whenever im drawing from imagination im thinking "I really want to study more" but then when I try to study I dont find anything worthwile to study, so I draw from imagination, and it goes around like that lol... cheers man
    Dreamworker - thanks alot!
    Banshax - thanks man! those are just studies so it dosnt nessecerely mean I understand everything there!
    rodrigo! - thanks dude! I agree that the lifedrawings may be abit small some times, I mostly draw things in sight size (ie, the size that my eye is seeing things) and I find it so much easier to keep everything under controll, otherwise I just get mumbled up while scaling up things... Ill try to work on that abit though.
    draw - cheers man!

Aight, barely drew anything last week I noticed, trying to push myself up this week but I find it kind of hard finding something worthwhile to study etc... oh well heres some stuff, cant be bothered commenting on all of them but you can probobly figure out what everything is!

Lifedrawings, probobly two 5's and one 10 I think

Polishing poop, bleeeeh!!

I feel like posting the entire lifedrawing session for this week, it was a really fun session... also, during the brakes I fix the line weights etc, cant do that on the fly just yet....

5īs

8 mins and some 3's, shorter poses dont really interest me so Im just focusing on certain areas, shoulders in this case

mixed times

times are on the paper

5, 10

mixed

and I think this is a 9 or 10

cheers folks! I think im going to start a big and long SP tomorrow, wish me luck! or any tips would be nice

Last edited by archipelago; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:28 PM.

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8