Sketchbook: 7 - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 7

Thanks
    SirGreenSock - thanks alot man! yeah thats a good tip

Shinryu - thanks!

thegreypencil - Its an inspiration to be called an inspiration man!
    I actually do that dream thing already, I allways review everything ive done during the day before I go to sleep so that Ill dream about it and secure it in my head. When I review my anatomy studies I picture them in bullet time and try to understand what it would look like in a 3d space. But thanks for the tip anyway

Todays le Stuff:

Did some in-depth anatomy studies of the forearm, took a long time but it really helped alot!

And here are some arms from memory, not quite there yet

A messy page of nose studies that randomly appeared in my sketchbook

An SP that didnt turn out too well and the pose is way too similar to the one I did yesterday and some hands. Might do a bigger, more proper SP later.

I also worked on a page from imagination for awhile, that will probobly be done tomorrow.

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Todays stuff:
    bridgeman:

messy bridgeman/memory stuff, plus som reffed eyes and dudleluros

Was going to do a bigger, longer SP but I spent like 30 minutes trying to get the basic construction right, I started over like 50 times and in the end I just decided to do it later, so I worked on this page from imagination for the rest of the day

So heres some random quick marker SP lol

And heres me desperatly tryign to figure out how to render the forearm from memory. I have a problem with rendering muscles in general actually, I make way too small strokes and it just becomes cluttered I think. I should do some studies on that

cheers!

Thanks
    yesterdays stuff:
    Some reffed arms

A random pose from AftA with some doodles

Still life, SP and hands. LOL PAPRIKA!!!

Todays, started school again, didnt get much done =/

Doodles

An SP with a view into the horrible depths of my nose and some messy hands

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks
    Stop improving please, youre scaring me!

Everything looks great, forearm studies seem to be paying off.
    If youre having trouble with making the muscle masses too busy, try forcing yourself to only use the side of the pencil or a grey marker, it forces you to simplify into only major shapes a la bridgman and focus on those masses.

ps - more colour and extended life studies ftw plz.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    SirGreenSock - thanks man! Yeah Ill try to stop
    will do that side-of-pencil thing! I dont think I will benifit much from colour at this stage, I think I may just want to focus on pencils right now and then tackle colour later, but who knows? maybe you could convince me otherwise

Todays stuffarooney:

A still life, took about 2 1/2 hours =/ lots of errors in it, mainly the eye. I copied the lines straight off (with some sketching before), not good. I need to think more in simple shapes and whatnot, I also need to practice lighter values and covering bigger planes with them!

SP, did it with 6HB this time, first time ive used a pencil in weeks, I allways use a mechanical one so emmm, yah. And only had time to do one hand because I had to go to lifedrawing

Heres the best stuff from the session, havent gone for like 3 weeks so I blame the crappiness at that actually I blame it on basicly what was wrong with the still life I did, need to see the body more as a whole than as a bunch of lines.

10 mins

10 mins and some faster ones lol, I really hate the faster ones so I usually do some closeups of something or just legs

5 mins with some memory anatomy thrown in

Now I need to sleep.

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    looking good archipelago

yea definitely try the flat of the pencil thing. im tryign it now and it helps tonnes!

that SP kicks the llama's ass!

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci
    ---------------------------------------------
    INTERNATIONAL SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP

ERILAZ! OTHERSIDE! CRAZY3DMAN! THEGREYPENCIL!

I SPY WITH MY EYES...GROUP

SEPULVERTURE! BHANU! BENDRAGON! JOHN T!

Thanks
    thegreypencil - thanks alot

Will have to study for a history test the next couple of days, so the updates might be smaller

Todays stuff:
    Tried the side-of-pencil technique as suggested by SirGreenSock, pretty interesting

Arm studies reffed from random anatomical drawings found on google.

SP and Hands. Turned it upside down in my head, didnt go too well but it was fun

And some arms done from memory

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah I think youre getting the idea! Just keep it up, it'll get you simplifying into major structures and forms! Bridgman among others does this really well with his pencils.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    SirGreenSock - thanks!

Yesterdays batch:

Decided that I will get out of my comfort zone as much as possible, Heres a head reffed from a photo, then I tried to turn him around into 2 different positions... Didnt go too well though D: Some doodles in there aswell. Im only comfortable with drawing a head front-on or in profile, not good!

SP using the side of the pen, tricky stuff D: Trying to draw more hands in foreshortening too

And an unfinished page from imagination, I drew the chicks head exactly the same as another one Ive drawn before without noticing =/ so i erased it and tried doing it differently

Todays stuff:

Watched part one of the Gnomon Rendering Matte Surfaces DVD, this is me trying to figure out what Ive learnt... I dont quite understand the whole "half to black" thing though.

Heres a random leg study and some gestures from imagination

Some random stuff

And some random frustrating SP+Hands

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Todays stuff, been kind of slacking of lately, need to draw more!

Sci-fi type stuff from imagination

An SP... with colour D: D: O: And Ill probobly be doing hands weekly instead of daily, but lots more in one batch.

Some torso studies from AftA and me desperatly trying to recreate something similar =/

And here are some heads from imagination with stuff I need to work on listed on the side. Will tackle as many of these as I can in the next week, Ill probobly be doing lots of master studies and reffed stuff. Hopefully Ill be able to improve

Cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    Not a very big update for three days I know, but I blame it mostly on school, although I think I could have drawn a bit more... I also turned 17 on tuesday! I got "The Artist's Guide to Human Anatomy" by Gottfried Bammes which turned out quite different from what I expected, just a lot of work by his students which seems sort of wierd to me =/ I should have wished for the german one with actual anatomy and stuff, but I will try to get it later...

Mondays, had to study for a history test, but inspired by SirGreenSock I managed to get a phew master studies done:

Not much likeness in these, but I guess that will come with time. They helped a whole lot though I think

And an SP that Im pretty happy with

Yesterdays:
    More master studies, very fun stuff

A master study, a le trés crappy head from imagination and a crappy SP to make up for the one I was happy with on monday

Today:

This was all I got done before having to go to life drawing, an even worse SP than yesterday D:

Nothing really worth posting from the life drawing session.

Cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    archi: go do the studies in the bammes book...they're quite funa nd you learn lots too...try everything!

sweet hatching in those aftsa studies... you're flyign about on a jet pack dude !

way to go!!!
    *sets off fireworks!

now..memorise the lgiht patterns on your face and hatch them out like you did in those afta studies!

i like that watercolour sp as well! makes me wanna go do SPs hehe

keep drawin!

by the way..the half way to black thing? okay...heres how it works... on a value range of 0-10

lets say you decide that the surface facing the light = value 2.

the shadow side shoudl be halfway from 2-black(in this case its 10) so between 2 and 10 we have 7 value steps 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,...halfway through that would be 6! so shade your shadow side with value 6 and the 3rd side would be somewhere in between 2 and 6..maybe a 4 or a 4.5?

hope it helps!

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    thegreypencil - thanks alot! Yeah I did some studies of it today and its not that bad actually, just seems weird learning from his students drawings and whatnot, I will definently get his other book though!
    Ive been trying to get that crosshatching right on my SPs, not working too well though
    And thanks for the explanation of the half to black thing, makes sense!

Yesterday, really didnt draw as much as I could have =/ hated everything I drew, but heres the stuff:

Did some quick anatomy studies, not really worth scanning and then I did this from imagination, tried to build on it for like an hour but erased everything D:

And an SP in lines, was going to render it but y'know

And today I kicked my ass back in gear!

Stuff from that bammes book

And then a full body muscle thingo majingo from memory (had to look at a ref a couple of times though), to figure out what I need to work on... the leg is definently next!

And I also did some quick newspaper sketches, trying to think more in 3D

2 more newspaper sketches and lots of doodles

And an SP with simplified planes and stuff, some quick anatomy studies too

cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Really high level of effort man, keep this up I would suggest that you look into doing some Bargue drawings, because they, in turn, will help you draw everything else.

Thanks
    darkwolfb87 - thanks alot! yeah I definently want to do one, I just have no idea where I can find them or good info on them etc, there is a tutorial by mindcandy man I know, but all the links to actual bargue drawings are gone

Todays stuff, watched the first half of the gnomon matte dvd thingo part 3 too:

Leg studies biatch

And some quick bridgeman ones and a totempole doodle

Didnt want to post this one but here it is anyway, a page of crappy life stuff, that box took lituraly an hour to draw =/ and its not even close to what it looked like.

I then did this cast drawing, took about 1 1/2 hours, much better than that box =/ and some AftA reffed legs

I then did some unrefed legs

An SP with horrible rendering and some eye doodling

And some newspaper sketches with a head from imagination

Cheers Y'all

Last edited by archipelago; April 29th, 2007 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Great Bridgman studies dude - Hes always a great guy to research//study from and i always recommend him. Youve improved quite a bit man, inspiring. Another book i highly recommend is a book called "Force" by Mike Mattesi.

Thanks
    Aranthulas - thanks alot! I checked that book out, looks pretty interesting!

Yesterdays stuff, really really didnt draw as much as I could have =/ mainly I think its because If i dont have a clear Idea of what I need to study/draw I just end up doing nothing...

I did some full body muscle studies, pretty boring stuff so I wont scan those.

Hands

Tried for heaps long to get a big SP going, turned to shits =( so I just did a fast pen one with some frustrated hands to follow (I tend to be worse at drawing hands from a mirror for some reason, really weird)

And some random imagination chick

Todays stuff, had a clear idea of what I wanted to study:

Arm skeleton studies from AftA, bridgeman and bammes

and then som arms from imagination

A 1 hour banana fest and some stuff reffed from a mirror

SP and doodles

And a pose from imagination, seems like I only have one in my head, and balance FTL =/

And some unfinished chick gah with some hands

cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; April 30th, 2007 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    nice rendering, and glad that u dedicate so much time to studying anatomy and poses. its really helpfull when u come to the end Really nice pencils and shading is doing great Keep up the progress

Thanks
    Woo lots of confidence in recent work. YOur lines are gettin better by the day. Looks like you're pickin up quite a bit from the anatomy studies. Start doin life studies of people around you (life drawing class ftw as you say) see where the anatomy youre learning applies to different people, poses and body types. Gotta keep paying attention to people and life around you, keeping your nose only in your book stagnates the mind.
    Bananas look great, lots of depth! Dont forget the plane theyre lying on though, dont want them floatin around!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    WolfBane - thanks alot dude!
    SirGreenSock - Thanks a bunch, I will try to work on all that the best I can!

Yesterdays stuff, didnt get much done D:
    Crappy 2 second SP

And some WIP imagination page thing

Todays stuff:

Bleh SP

And a very chalenging still life, didnt get it right at all as usual, took about an hour

And the life drawing session, had a blast this time for a bunch of reasons, but I got a back seat so sometimes I couldnt see the whole pose =/
    Trying to push my anatomy into these, still need lots of work on that.
    Here are the better ones

3-5 mins

10 mins, I would do these all day long If I could

Last edited by archipelago; April 30th, 2007 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks
    great stuff man! keep this up! these are great http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../Archi-181.jpg good use of planes, keep looking for those front/side/back planes of the forms in the face and yeah good stuff

Thanks
    rodrigo - thanks alot will do!

Changed the title to something less corny

First off, If anyone has any information about barque drawings, especially where I can find one to copy, I will give them some lovin'

Heres a crappy update =/ feeling frustrated with what Im drawing more and more, and less with having to draw, If you know what I mean... Which I guess is good because I can push myself further hopefully

Yesterdays stuff.
    worked for about an hour on a 64 controller still life, turned to shitz though so I scrapped it =/ but heres a faster one with an SP

And me atempting to draw poses from my head =/ This feels like its my biggest problem right now

Todays stuff
    Deja Vu from yesterday, started a still life, same subject, worked on it for about 45 mins then I scrapped it =/
    Did some faster ones of the cord instead, And experimented a bit with the Facial triangle, reffed from magazines

And one more reffed experiment and me trying to implement it into my SP, I was suprised by how much likeness I got with it though! made me realise just how important the triangle is!

And then I tried to draw stuff from imagination for about 30 mins untill I gave up, must have gone through about 10 different ideas and I couldnt draw a single one =/

=/

Last edited by archipelago; April 30th, 2007 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks
    Hey hey its the triangle! Glad the method made sense/ helped you out.

Dont cross out your work when its wrong, rather make notes on what is wrong and where, go back to the book and fill in the blanks. Crossing out in frustration does nothing productive.

It might be beneficial to start doing studies on separate pages, like doing the 64 controller larger and on its own page, so there are no distractions and you can give more hints on where its grounded.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    SirGreenSock - thanks! yeah you are definently right, consider that habit killed! Yeah i did the controller on a seperate page, it was just my pen not coordinating with my eye =/ Ive heard it takes about 6 months to be able to draw from life reasonably well, is that true? But yeah, Im trying to think more of how the still life subject is on the ground and such.

Heres the update
    Yesterday, studied hands all day long D:

Sloppy warm up hands after waking up

And onto the studies, its either from Bammes, AftA or bridgeman

And then some from life

And from imagination =/

And then from life again with an SP, struggling with the triangle baht trying to get it into my head

And today I did torsos:

Sloppy warm up stuff lol

Did a whole bunch of photoreffed statues, really got me thinking in block forms and such, very nice

And some from imagination =/

And an SP with a reffed face

Cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; April 30th, 2007 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Great stuff, making steady progress, very cool to be able to see the advancement on paper.

I dont know what it means to 'draw from life reasonably well', but I guess that 6 months would be about enough to get a solid understanding and observation skills to start going somewhere (youre well into that though so no need to worry).
    One more exercise you can try to combine what you see and what you study in terms of anatomy is to do life and ref studies (figure, hands etc), tape some vellum/tracing paper on top, get out the ol anatomy book and start placing everything where it belongs. Do some studies putting the bones into the pose (paying attention to landmarks in the original), as well as muscle studies (once again watching the landmarks, not just copying the book but matching the real with the information you can work with).

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    i love how you're going planar very nice..i have trouble seeing planes everything loosk rounded to me!

keep at it..and get cracking on those bammes excercises! i see some in there and thats sweet!

you're definitely going places now !

ZCAI

Thanks
    SirGreenSock - Thanks alot was going to try that exercise today, searched all over the house for see through paper but couldnt find any! bah! I will try it without tracing though... or invest in some

thegreypencil - thanks! yeah, big problem with planes, need to bring them out more, cant find any good refs for them though

First of, heres an imagination page I forgot to post, sort of a follow up to an older one

Yesterday stuff:
    Been working on this one on and off for a couple of days, its not very interesting/original but atleast its something the pistol sucks I know =/

A still life, 45 mins, turned to shits from the first line =/

SP with a blob thingomajig

Todays:
    Quick arm studies

This is me trying to do gestures from imagination =/ really have to get into this uncomfortable zone of drawing bodies... I will try to do atleast 3 poses a day, no matter how bad they are, thats the only way Im going to improve!

Heres an SP I like, played around with looser rendering, very fun!

cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; April 30th, 2007 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Hey,

Im really impressed with your work mate! All these anatomy drawings are getting much much better from your first posts. Also your pencil techniques and shading etc, is getting much better as well! This one is my fav, http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../Archi-207.jpg , and it was only 2 mins of work! If you ever feel like the anatomy really isn't helping you or your fed up with it all, do some drawings from life. You might think to yourself, well thats not fun. But as you do 2-3 each day it gets funner

The main thing is to keep it up!

Qxzi

Thanks
    Qxzi - thanks alot!

wednesesesdayses:
    some sketches of my brother, and an SP... likeness is soooo much easier to get in profile

First of the 3 daily poses from imagination I will do, no matter how bad they are! these might sometimes be reffed, probobly alot from memory too, we will see!

butt studies

And then went to a lifedrawing session, didnt go too well for some reason, but here are the better ones =/ about 5-10 mins me thinks

Yesterdays:
    3 poses, one is sortof from memory from yesterday if you didnt notice

Pelvis studies

Near-doodles of heads from imagination, trying to work stuff out which I later got more info on from observation today D:

SP with reffed stuff

And Loomis' figure drawing book arrived today! lots of studies to follow, here are some eye ones, with memory ones down the bottom

Todays:
    Started reading Figure drawing for all its worth, got through the first chapter but its pretty hefty, so I will probobly have to go through it several times did some quick studies along the way but will do more thorough ones of proportion tomorrow. pretty boring learning the basics but im determend to get through the whole book!

daily 3 poses

SP, not really finished, was underlit but I tried to inverse the lighting in my head, didnt go too well lol, some plane studies too

that is all

cheers!

Last edited by archipelago; April 30th, 2007 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks
    Life drawings look good, you just gotta practice pushing the contrast and the darks more to get the depth in there. Same goes for the butt studies, get darker shadows in there, the shades you got in there so far could probably even be the midtones, Leaving too much white flattens the picture, save it for highlights.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15