Sketchbook: Andy P's Sketch Book ((Updated Oct 25)) The Richmond Zombie Walk
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Andy P's Sketch Book ((Updated Oct 25)) The Richmond Zombie Walk

Finally bowing to peer pressure, I'm gonna give this whole online sketchbook thing a solid go. Here's some stuff from the sketchbook I'm workin on now. I might try and upload some other recent stuff soon. Any comments gleefully accepted. Enjoy!

Madkins and me at the Richmond Zombie Walk,

Hopefully I'll be updating about every week, maybe more.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Andy P; October 25th, 2007 at 02:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is great stuff! so expressive. and a little goofy.

good job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really fun drawings. I like your linework & exageration. can't wait to see more~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeaaaaaah daaaaawg! Andy P in the hizzy! Lovely drawlings, nice to see what you've been up to. Glad getting on the forum sketchbook wagon, I think you'll find it's good motivation... it takes a little bit for a thread to get goin, but being active is the key to a well travelled book.

Anyway, what I say? I say Andy P, he great, he like totally cool. I'm gonna give you a call some time in the near future and chit the chat.

ps- if that portrait of lemmy is of lemmy, I think it's really grood, except you forgot the cocoa puffs on his cheek. not a good crit, I know... but i love those cocoa puffs

banana boat!

Last edited by cotron; February 9th, 2006 at 04:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huuuuzzzzzzzzaaaahhhhhh!

Glad you got on, like cody said, like I say, like Joe says, the sketchbook is fun. I haven't posted as much as I'd like on mine, but I've kept up with about a post a week since I started it.

As usual, I worship your stuff. Totally in a gay way too.

The pen stuff looks wicked. Especially the black ink stuff. The second guy on the page of three ink faces rules my face off. Do you put down any guide work before you put down your inks? Whatever you're doin' is working really well.

I have to agree with Cody. Cody and I are coo-coo for Lemmy's Coa-Coa puffs.

Your distorted faces look sweet too, the caricatured guys.

Keep up the posts, i'm always excited to see your stuff.

Totally in a gay way too.

-Andy W.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Youve got a really interesting style, I quite like it! The second picture is the bomb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man this is dope! Checked out your portfolio too and man it rocks. You still at ringling or you out working?

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. excellent work. your precision is frighteningly good. love the lambchops dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the sketchbooks, good start.

That expression in the first face in "Hands.jpg" is awesome.
    And the sketchbook cover too. I never thought of making a sketchbook cover. Uhm, I don't even have a bound and nifty sketchbook anyway. Ah well.

"Eye.jpg" is my favorite. Seems to have a story. And niiice tones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the comments, I get the impression this is gonna get addicting...

DR_Inferno- Thanks man. Yeah, goofy, I get that a lot.

ChromaticCodex- Thankya, It's a struggle to exagerate yet still keep likeness intact. Not there yet, but I'm tryin.

Cotron- I can't freakin believe I left off Lemmy's warts/fully grown heads. I'm gonna have to make it up to him to assure my place in Valhalla now. Anyway, thanks and your SB kills!

Andy W- Yeah, your nemesis is in effect. Thanks for getting me to do this, It's actually a lot better motivation than I thought it would be. Again, My apolgies to Lemmy, let him down big time, I'll have to paint a close up portrait of those gross little nuggets to earn back my 'spect.
    As for guidelines, nah, I just go with the line that I put down. Sometimes it looks right, sometimes it looks wrong, just kinda have to roll with the new. Although if I ever put words in there I'll pencil em in first because I'm a horrible speller/letterer (is that a word?). I like pen, it is good.

archipelago- Much appreciated!

Boogieman- Thanks for checkin out the portfolio! I was actually only at Ringling for a month and a half doin the Illustration Acdemy, last May/July. I can't say enough good things about the Academy and I know Cotron'll back me up. It was definately one of the best times I've ever had in my life.

Patch- Lambchops, yes, gotta love em.

Sady- Thanks a lot. Good point about the eye one. I'm tryin to make it in editorial illustration so telling little stories is somethin I need to do more of in my sketchbook. Thanka fer the post.

Aight, quickie update of the stuff I've done over the last coupla nights. Seems like late at night is the only time I get to draw because of work. Stupid work.

Thanks again fer all the posts, I'll have more soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Andy P., thanks for leaving some cool comments in my sb.

From your first to this last one, i was thoroughly entertained. Great line work, great imagination. I really like the idea of painting the cover to your sketchbook. Mine is full of stickers from the places that I have visited (just a kid at heart), but I think that it would look cool with a small painting thingie on it somewhere. The Richmond Zombie Walk, the guy that puked in the toilet, the guy sitting at the desk, and Mark Twain are my favorites- just great stuff. The "she blinded me with science" guy reminds me of the Guiness commercials. "Brilliant!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovin the Saddam, homie... and also the line drawing/block shadows on the guy in the desk chair. shit, Mark twain's good too. you are a metal goD!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Andy, that's one sweet sb you got there. The Sadaam sketch is very funny. Keep it up bro. Thanks for checking my stuff out. I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your technique is steller man! Really solid line work, and all that.

My main crit (overall) is that you seem (I could be wrong about this, and if I am, sorry) to work an awful lot from photographs, and it shows. The value range is fantastic, the rendering is good, there's really nothing technically wrong, they just seem to lack... vitality, I guess.

Having said that, my favorites are probably the first one (your sketchbook cover). It drew me in immediately and is just a solid image. One thing that I really liked about it is the little splash of purple coming off his brush.

The Richmond Zombie Walk is my second favorite. The blend of stylized cityscape, and spot color was a good choice, and the portraits are really good too.

Later.
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I'm back. This should become an every monday kinda thing, if not more.

Madplanet- Thanks man, Baron Storey is really the man to look to as far as cool sketch book cover paintings. Well, he calls em Journals, I calls em fuckin insane.
    Cotron- Cue the Judas Priest song Metal Gods... "Meeettaallll Gooooodsss, bwow buh buh bwowww."
    gmags- thanks man, appreciated.
    kingcoyote- You're absolutely right, man, most of what I've been doing lately has been from photo ref. I'm gonna try and get a healthier diet of life drawing and drawing from my noggin, I just know that what I'm gonna try and do for a living is gonna be mostly from photo ref so I do it the most. Thanks fer the crit, it helps!

So here's some new stuff...

More soon, bliggity bling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that is some really impressive work Andy. I love the humor thrown into these drawings

The faces are damn cool, very classy-lookin ;D

Your definetly five-star material man, so [*****] for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great book man. Like everyone else, i'm loving the saddam pic! Even though working from a photo isn't half as good as life, I still think you manage to inject your style into all of these, and pull of some great rendering. Are these used in magazines, posters and papers etc?

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, I really love your line work and the imagination isn't have bad either. I like to just stare at these images and take in these wonderful scenes. Very cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude-

definitely digging this last one here, of the woman. Who's the ref of?

Also the guy jumping. Also the skeletons. As usual, you totally rock my face off. Keep it up, I'm so glad to see you on here posting regularly.

-MP

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantastic Artwork here. I relly enjoyed looking through that. Will def. be back again

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this corner is total richmond. makin me homesick....you know, richmond's not so bad once you leave it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a strapping young lad fan eh ?

I like your style, but i want colour.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice sketchbook you got here. I am the biggest sucker when it comes to beautiful lines. love you work and hope to see more.!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man you got wicked crazy lines! mine are nothing compared to yours. and your paintings a great too. thanks for the crits.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Blitz
    - High praise man, thanks for stopping by.
    yAdam- I agree, I've always loved using reference photos just as a jumping off point, but I do need to draw more from life like I used to. Nah, none of these are published, workin on that too!
    madplanet- Thank ya man.
    Doom- Thanks dude, that chick is from a band called Bleeding Through. They're pretty typical metalcore, except with keyboards. Nothin worth writing home about, but then again, hot chick keyboardist.
    vigostar- cool man, look forward to hearin from ya.
    cotron- Yeah, I've really come to love Richmond over the last 4 years. I get the feeling that if I don't get out soon I'm gonna get rooted here. Boston is still lookin really nice...
    Tobin- Heh, yeah, I pretty much worship at the altar of all things Devin Townsend. Got to see the DTB just a few days ago. What a neat guy. Anyway, color is definately in the future. Thanks for checkin in.
    bumskee- Thanks, I'm still workin on making my line weight as interesting as possible.
    pennington- Hey man, no prob it's great stuff! Lookin forward to more!

Here's a few new pages, not as much as I'd like, but work has been a real bitch this week. Here's some stuff with SP's done from the mirror. I had forgotten how hard/fun SP's from life could be.

Again, thanks for all the comments, be back with mo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats up dude-

the likeness on the mirror SP's is really solid. I think the first one is my favorite. Definitely rock and roll.

From your description I dunno if I'll seek out that band. But on the subject, did you listen to that City of Evil by Avenged Sevenfold? Its pretty fun stuff the likens itself back to the good 'ol days of metal. I can really get into it, I popped my E string a few days ago jamming out to it. 'Course, it was down at the nut of the wammy bar stuff, so I have to file it down some more...

Anywho, keep up the good stuff. I had a really off drawing session last night, not even worth posting, so I'm glad to see your stuff.

-MP Doom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDE! I forgot to tell you ( I think )!

The lead singer from MF'ing Steelheart lives here in Charlottesville! As in, vocals from the movie Rock Star, etc. I found out because some of the people I work with are bro's with him. They found out recently that I'm an old school metal junkie, so now I'm relating to the 30 somethings here at work. I am definitely trying to arrange a hanging out session with that guy...

"..STAND UP AND SHOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUT!"

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread. Hope things are well. More importantly...

POST SOME DRAWINGS!

-MP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woof, okay, finally an update. I've been sidelined this week with a narsty cold and then a trip to NYC to see the Society of Illustrator's Editorial and Book show. The show was awesome and I got to totally geek out at all the famous illustrators there (I met Peter DeSeve! Mark Summers bought me a shot of Wild Turkey! Oh the glamour!). So that was awesome, but the being really sick sucked shit.
    MajinDoomisher- Word up to the Avenged Sevenfold, I'll definately look into the older cd. I saw one of their videos and they look nothing like I expected, kinda the goth glam thing going on. Oh well, the music speaks fer itself. Man that's awesome about the SteelHeart guy! You should definately get in good with him so he can do the vocals for the movie they make based on your life.
    So here's what I've been up to...

I drew this otter for my Dad's B-day card cause they've recently found one swimming in their lake. Just a reminder to Dad of how cute they are when he eventually has to blow it's brains out.

More soon, won't be as long til the next update as last time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful contour lines. I wish mine were half as good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now why would Dad shoot da poor lil' otter? He had'nt otter do that.
    Anyways, good stuff. On one hand I admire the spontanaity of working with a pen from the start. On the other hand I question why you think the pictures should be different from the lettering. Why not get it right with a pencil before inking it?

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3