Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey That Fisticuffs-Guy, Great update!

I checked out Sterling Hundley. Cool stuff... What I could see of it anyway. Unfortunately, most of (well actually, every one I tried except for the default images) the thumbnails didn't link to larger images for me. Pretty dissapointing really, that I didn't get to see too much of it...

The flickrleech site rocks! Thanks for the link!

This one, with the fish is just lovely! Maybe it's just me, but there's something about levitating fishes...

You're doing great stuff man! Take care and hope to see ya soon!
    KC
    You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    dang andy! I thought I posted on your last update, but I guess not. your penwork's getting a really nice vibe now, it's maturing a lot. The last oil, great pallette. Not much else but a pat on de back

Thanks
    ooo yeah beautiful!
    my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    I agree with what pennington said, that one is my favorite from your lastest batch. Man just looking through your sb again, makes me want draw like mad. Thanks for the inspiration man, and thanks for stopping in my sb. Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks
    Great work, love the ink man!
    This one has great energy to it!
    Cant wait to see what comes out of the next update!
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    OH gooooooodddddddd GOOOODDDDD this just made my nite!!!
    http://www.andyparrish.net/SB/Waits.jpg
    so does this
    http://www.andyparrish.net/SB/Poopin.jpg
    Ah man your good, any tips on inks would be apreciated,
    shit man, your aproach just opened a whole new world to me,
    please keep posting!!!

Thanks
    I really like the inks. Though I am curious, are some of the proportions of your pieces purposely out of proportion, since there is a style to these, some of them I feel sit on the fence about porportions, cant tell if its a mistake or on purpose. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    I'm a little less tired now than the last time I checked in, so I've got a bit more to say. . . This shit is stellar, Andy. I really appreciate how each of your sketches has enough of your own interpretation or character to have a life or narrative of its own, which seems to be really really difficult, and when you tie them all together on one page with arrows or text or glances it just slaughters me. I really hope I can take some of my sketching this direction; it's really inspiring! Great work, man!

Thanks
    very nice work man. I like the way you handle those oils. It reminds me a bit of my style but looser.

Thanks
    Yo yo! Awesome updates, Andy. I really like that last pic in the your latest post, Poopin.jpg. Except i can't for the life of me, figure out why the hell it's called that... Anyway, you're stuff rocks- and it always cracks me up. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Here's somethin real quick...

wakazou- Thanks, I really should paint more than I do. It's somethin I'm workin on.
    bumskee- Thanks, me like lines. As fer coloring the pages, ummm, I don't know, I try and a color a page in PS every once in a while, and it never really turns out the way I like. I'll try sometime here soon.
    kingcoyote- "Fisticuffs-guy." Yessssss. Thanks for the words man. Too bad about Sterling's site, seems like I've had some trouble with it too on another computer, something about it using Javascript. I'm not that computer literate to know what's up. Anyway, he's got a piece on there that he used me as reference for that's won a silver medal at the Society of Illustrators. If you find a way to check it out, it's the piece for a play called Hair.
    cotron- Mmmm, pats from Cody. On my special place. Good way to start the morning.
    pennington- Gracias!
    Darktwin- Thanks dude!
    SirGreenSock- Thanks, exclamation point!
    maxetormer- Whoa, glad you like the stuff. Just curious, was it because you like Tom Waits, or was it just that you like those drawings in particular? Because, man, I've been listening so much Waits over the last year, it's not even funny. That guy is awesome. And fun to draw. Here's a page from a sketchbook from about a year ago where I think I got his likeness a bit better. Anyway, if you have no idea who I'm talking about, sorry for the off topic rant. As for ink tips, um, man I just kinda fly by the seat of my pants. Always try and have confidence in your lines, and don't be afraid to black things out!
    Matt Smith- Yeah man, you're right. Most of the time the exaggeration is purposefull, my stuff looks weak when I don't really commit to something. Thanks for stopping in.
    Idiomatic- Yeah, I find the stuff I like to look at most has a bit of narrative to it, too, even if it's just a glance from one figure to another. But, still gotta love just gobbing on the random stuff onto one page. Fun times.
    Orozc0- Thanks, looking at your page always makes me wanna paint really big again. Thanks for the input.
    sith- Hah, that one's called poopin because at first I had just drawn the lady with no couch under her, thinking it would be a page of just figures. Her pose made her look like she was about to take a dump, so I added in the couch. Also I was listening to an NPR interview with Robert Smigel, so I had Triumph the insult comic dog saying "for me to poop on" for inspiration.

Okay so here's a new painting I did and scanned in steps. It's an oil-lift out technique that allows you to paint but still keep really close to your drawing. I never learned this technique until my junior year of college, so I hope this might help at least somebody... For examples of people who can really do it well check out old Mark English and C F Payne.
    First off I started out with a drawing done with a burnt sienna colored pencil on illustration board. I Crystal Clear that, then hit it with an oil wash of more burnt sienna. I brush that dry then I lift out the highlights using a kneaded eraser. Once I'm happy I Crystal Clear it again, then hit it with a cool wash, mostly Dioxizine Purple, French Ultramarine, and Permanent Green. The I lift out the highlights again. Wasn't feeling it was cool enough yet, so I did another cool wash and lifted highlights out again. After that you can go in with opaque oils, or more colored pencil if ya want to tighten it up and harden some edges.

Andy P's Sketch Book ((Updated Oct 25)) The Richmond Zombie Walk

I don't really use the technique anymore, don't really know what made me wanna do this last night. Anyway, hope it helps at least somebody.
    And one piddly new page...

Andy P's Sketch Book ((Updated Oct 25)) The Richmond Zombie Walk

Not I'm off to a wedding. Which means open bar. Which means Andy P might cut a rug. Oh the shame...

Thanks
    Very nice, thanks, never heard of that technique before!
    2 questions though, does lifting out the highlights mess up the kneaded erases (so should I use an old one or something) and do you prepare your illustration boards (gesso) beforehand or just use the crystal clear it?

Painting came out real nice, seems like a real good way to build up the skintone.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Andy, sorry I haven't stopped in to issue some major props to you lately but you're definately deserving, bro. Please don't stop and just continue to bring the pain! And paint... heh, I love your oils and really hope to see you push some of this stuff further. Loose, confident brush strokes that really capture the essence of the figures and such. Very great stuff. Thanks for posting that technique in the last one too, the oil washes. I learned something similar this semester from my illustration professor. Very cool technique. Are the little scrapes in the paint and such done with pencils? How are you getting these effects?? It's very nice. I hope to see more finished work from you soon, man!! Inks look clean and beautiful as usual. I wish I had half the talent you have and half the line confidence that you have. Brilliant stuff. Are these from photos or from your heads? They're a delight to look at, man. Beautiful. Keep posting. Your just one of the many guys I was hoping to meet in MTL but I don't think you're going are you? Damn. Heh. You've inspired this boy to draw today! Lucky I've got the new Tool to push me as well! Ha! Take it easy, man.

Thanks
    Sweet, the ol' CF payne method... you handle it really nicely, her face is really beautifully done. My only gripe is the ear, the hole's super dark and the ear doesn't have the TLC the rest of her face does. An easy fix would be to paint her hair over it, it might help unify the shapes in the composition more too. The spots of the yellow ochre-ish color in the shadows are great, very subtle and noice. Yooooouuuuu are the chaaampion my frieeeeend

Thanks
    Really cool tecnique I gotta try it out some day, soon,
    the inks looks as sharp as ever, I really like how you
    deform reality, and at last I agree with cotron critics,
    the ear could use some luv

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast