Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Just back from a Municipal Waste show, hurtin, ears ringing, and a tad drunk. Perfect time for updatin...

kingcoyote- Hey man thanks for the comments, that last one was from ref. I agree about those first faces being a bit too distorted. Well, maybe not that, but they just didn't look great. I'm glad that people will call me on that kinda stuff when, even if it is distorted, it just doesn't look good. As for stock illustration, nah, I think I'll be happier in the editorial game. Working with art directors and coming up with one specific concept for a piece is a lot of what I like about the field. Again, thanks man!
    kyi_72- Will diggity-do.
    Cold- I likes to draw dem faces. Thanks for stoppin in.
    tensai- Thanks, this update's got some color for yas. I haven't picked up the paints in an embarrassingly long time, thanks fer the kick in the pants.
    Matt Smith- Agreed, those junks are pretty off. Probably more to do with the way I was holding the sketchbook at the time. Thanks for the comment!

So here's a few new pages...

Andy P's Sketch Book ((Updated Oct 25)) The Richmond Zombie Walk

And some stuff to get back into the swing of painting...
    real quick watercolor
    real quick oil
    bout 2 hrs...

More soon.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    that watercolor is nice...so is the oil...you should paint more!

Thanks
    Haaha, nice job on the last one. Funny.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    oo i love the watercolors & oil. very very nice stuff - sketches included! april fools, naw just kidding, that wasn't an april fools joke, i meant it all.

the only crit i'd point out would be just to have your heads measured out before they're drawn. as i see it, it looks like you draw them maybe with your sketchbook streached out over your knee or table. i find that when i do this my pictures become all distorted and the only way they look right is by angling them the way i drew them. sorry for the long crit... never really crit anyone before, but i'm trying to get into the habit to help others with what little i do know. g-heee.
    i also like your knowledge of anatomy, can i pop open your brain and take a few cells for myself? thanks.

oh yes! i agree with JoshK... more paintings!! though the sketches are good too.

Thanks
    Awesome updates as usual, man. I really like the contour drawing of the couple having dinner. Those paintings are pretty rockin' too.

btw, thanks for your input in my little sketchy book. That schtuff helps a lot.

Thanks
    That chick with the headphones is just beeyooteeful!

The girl on the couch doesn't seem set in space quite right though. What I mean is, she doesn't look like she's actually on the couch. Don't know... Is it in ballpoint? I've found that it's hard to get really good darks in ballpoint.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

The watercolor is really good. Have you ever checked out John J Muth? Awesome watercolor illustrator. Just reminded me of him... You might like him if you haven't.

Anyway... Keep it up.
    Sorry I sound like a 'tard today.
    Later.
    KC
    You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    nice painting my man, good to see you gettin back on that horse. the only crit I have with them is to maybe hold back from getting so dark in areas like the mouth... a value that close to black really makes is seem more photographic than painterly. I think a warmer bit of paint that's closer to a midtone but still dark would make that really work well. You do good, you so pretty

Thanks
    Man, Andy, they ain't kiddin' this thread deserves some major star-age! Are you and Cody's old VA buds because I could definately see some inky line similarities in these! I love how yours have a really caricature feel to 'em at time. You really distort the features in some of these and it's pulled off so nicely and seemingly easily. God knows I ain't got it in me to pull such tight lines off the starting mark! These are great. Nice to see the paints as well. It's a real struggle area for me but it's always fun to get into 'em and much around. Keep postin' and we'll keep droolin', man.

Thanks
    hahaha that SP rocks.

nice work on the quick oil too, excellent treatment of form.

I'm liking this penwork you've been doing; those profiles are great! If I had to be picky I'd say the falcon.jpg page doesn't shine as much as the rest, but it's all around sweet looking. you're making me want to get back to my SB again!

Thanks
    Hey er'body,

JoshK- Paint more, aint that the truth!
    Pixeldragoon- Thanks man.
    MattGamer- Thanks for the crit man, my stuff does tend to look wonky a lot, the struggle is to make it good wonky and not bad wonky. Applying the propper amount of wonk is my goal. Also, I wouldn't recommend my brain cells to anyone, I think they're spoilt.
    sith- Thanks man, glad I'm helpin somebody, CA as a whole has been helpin me out a bunch.
    kingcoyote- Word man, I kinda got bored with that chick on the couch and didn't finish everthing, hence she seems suspended. Yeah, it's ballpoint and yeah it is hard to get good darks with it, I tend to like it b/c I can render with it but not erase. Also yeah, Muth is pretty kick ass, I first saw his stuff in that book Gershon's Monster. Very cool stuff.
    cotron- Yeah man, that bit o dark is actually closer to pure Burnt Umber but the photo darkened it up. Good point though, John English would scream at me for using values close to black in faces. Me so pretty? awwwww.
    ZebzFree- Yeah, Cody and I met at VCU a coupla years ago and it was amore. The moon hit my eye like a big-a pizza pie. Also thanks for the props!
    Jooooeeee- Yes, SB it up again man, your stuff is killer-diller. As for that falcon page, yeah, it's pretty weak, got bored with that top chick half way through. I did really like the face of the lady on the bottom though, probably the only reason I posted it.

So here's a coupla new junks,

Hey! I found a pencil! but then got bored with it,

And a new quickie oil, fisticuffs anyone?

Thanks fer the replies everyone, more soon.

Thanks
    You crack me up, man! I almost went to VCU, myself. Ended up moving to Missouri with my parents instead... I still miss Virginia at times, but I reckon St Louis is alright.

That oil is pretty wicked sweet man!

Muth has a new book out, by the way. It's a childrens book called (I think) "Zen Shorts". Pretty cool pics, and the read ain't too shabby either!

Later.
    KC
    You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Very nice drawings.Your lines are so clean and illustrative if I can say so .

M.

Thanks
    Hey, I'm back.

kingcoyote- Thanks man, will definately check out that new Muth book. VCU was a great experience for me, at least the last two years anyway...
    heartbeat- Thanka, I hope I clean up all right.

So here's stuff from this past week,

And a new stab at a quickie oil that I probably won't finish. From the same batch of reference as the last un.

Also, fer anyone who gives a care, here's a shot of where I paint and junk and stuff. I always find it interesting to see where other artists do their thang, so that's where I do mine.
    More sometime soon.

Thanks
    your style is kick ass, and those paintings are awesome. I really like that watercolor painting.

Thanks
    Looking good Andy!! Really nice watercolors and oils. Your profile are sweeet!!! Keep postin some more good stuff!!

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast