Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    fuckin pandas man!!! they look awesome, o and kikass portrait of jon stewart, but I must say my favorite sketch is the one of the cat dreamin of the fish bones... its funny.
    "KEEEE-YYYAAAAAAHHHHHH B!TCH!!!!" - Ed Wuncler III, The Boondocks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Man your latest stuff has been mint! Those panda's are goin' in my inspiration folder...along with a whole lotta' other stuff from here. I'm moving back to Guilford, BC in September...maybe we should meet up. Anyways, keep up the kickass work and would love to see something finished from you. I know you can make something really kick ass. Later!

Edit: Opps, I thought you we're in Richmond, BC not Richmond, Cali. Hahha stupid me.
    Last edited by Chandan; June 22nd, 2006 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks
    White Rose- Thanks, he dug it. Ya know, we liberals like that guy.
    MattGamer- Thanks man, I appreciate it!
    maxetormer- Glad ya like it dude, happy to oblige. It's funny how the really quick stuff tends to work out well.
    this1- Thanks, I couldn't remember, but I think it was Heathcliff that used to either dream about or be obsessed with fish bones. I was always confused, why would a cat only want the bones? Best not to think about it.
    That fat kid- Word, thanks a lot for the crit. You're right, I did kinda rush from the drawing to the paint a little too quickly. I knew there were problems with the eyes, just couldn't put my finger on it. Next time...
    Chandan- Thanks man, I'm tryin to work on some more finished stuff right now, it's just hard with work and other lame excuses. I'd love to get to Canada sometime, though. One of my favorite musicians, Devin Townsend, is from around Surrey. Sounds like an awesome place to be.

A few new pages, workin on painting a cover for this particular sketchbook. That should be up soon.

Andy P's Sketch Book ((Updated Oct 25)) The Richmond Zombie Walk

Thanks for lookin!

Thanks
    Man its been awhile since I've been in this kick ass sb, wonderful updates man, keep em coming.

Thanks
    I really enjoy the sense of realism in your pics - the rendering is great! Keep up the awesomeness and take care
    If it were socially acceptable - I'd wear a cape.

Thanks
    Hey Andy, sketches are lookin good, I dig the inks. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid
    One thing that bugs me, the eye problem is repeating itself. If you get that ironed out through repetition and trying to see the mistake when you make it, you'll be a king.
    I don't see what you're talking about... honestly. I took the portrait on Jon Stewart into photoshop and it looked pretty good, both mirrored and not. I think there are stylizations in Mr. P's drawings that are inherent to his drawings- and they give them the personality that they have. I think there's a big problem on this forum to over-analyze the work presented to the point that nobody is focusing on the important aspect of the imagery... so what if the arm is slightly longer on the left side of the body as opposed ot the right- it just turns into a pissing match.

Look at Jon Foster, for example... his figures are extremely stylized for the most part, and lots of the time they're "incorrect" in the anatomical sense. The clincher is this- he's not doing them for medical textbooks, but to fit whatever story he's trying to convey. And he's really successful at it, in my opinion. In illustration, it's paramount that the mood/story/idea is put across, and one of the things I really like about the stuff Andy does is the personality injected into the work. So yeah, there's a bit that's not "right" here or there, but that's what makes the drawings interesting. It's really a matter of getting the right things right, and the rest follows.

Ok, done with my lil rant about that, now to give the thread back to its owner- A lil crit- one thing that I feel is lacking in your po-trait work is the ears, it seems like they ain't getting the love & attention to structure that the rest of the head is... this crit might contradict the point I was just trying to make, but I feel like it's something that's detracting from the excellency of the rest of the job. They often feel like holes on the side of the person's head instead of the complex and interesting things that they are. It seems like a small thing, but it's important to the success of a portrait. I don't want to sound too critical, though, because I'm really enjoying everything that I've seen you make recently- just sharing an idea of what you might want to to look at while you're working next time.

Actually, looking at the JS portrait again, the angle of the ear might be what's causing the funkiness, it looks a lil high on his head while the rest of the features don't follow the same angle... but I really didn't notice that at first, I saw the likeness and recognized who it was- good job on that! I only noticed the ear thing after looking at it for much longer than most people do. Maybe I'm just eating my words and nitpicking lil things like I was just advising that fat kid not to... haha... Anyway, hope this slightly drunk post monster makes sense, I really like the new sketches, especially the washy peeps on the bottom right of the second image.

Hope things are goin well my fiend!

Thanks
    Darktwin- Thanks dude, will do.
    BillyDead- Thanks as well, I'm gonna try.
    Matt Smith- Thanks!
    That fat kid and Cotron- Thanks hombres, I really do appreciate you guys taking such an interest in this piddly ol shite. I totally agree that there is a lot of wonkiness goin on in my drawing/painting, and not all of that wonk is good wonk. I'm always trying to "improve" my drawing but I don't really want to get rid of what makes it unique either, if it is unique at all. I guess it boils down to, I'm not so much trying to make my stuff look "right", but I don't want it to look "not right" either. Another way to say it is I like things to look off, as long as it's not distracting/unintentional. And there's stuff going on in that JS portrait that are distracting. Good point about Jon Foster, his stuff can be wonky, but it's always interesting, not distracting. I never look at his stuff and think "Oh, he fucked up that arm" or something.
    Soooo, I really do appreciate you guys pointing out what doesn't work. Like the ears, I hadn't noticed that I had totally written them off again in that painting. And the alignment of the face is something I definately need to keep in mind more when it comes to capturing likeness. Cheers ta ya both, this stuff is a big and inspiration, highjack anytime.

Not much time to work lately, but had some fun yesterday doin this un. Has some problems (like that damnable face on the right), but it was fun. Value control was what I was thinkin about most, tryin to keep values close together and savin the dark darks and light lights for where I wanted the eye to go.

Damn I'm a good dancer. Damn.

The new SB cover still a comin. Thanks again for all the chitchats er'body!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 625 Posts
Wow,
awsome sketchbook!

Nice stuff AND active! ...im only active
Thanks for checking out my sketchbook! I appreciate it alot dude!
Just keep working!

Thanks
    Im not very fonded on the front legs of the horse, but the
    overal compo is a pleasure to the eyes
    http://www.andyparrish.net/SB/Horsey.jpg
    and agree with the last crictics, he he good aligment of
    features is a real bich, but you will get that solved in
    no time if you keep working like this

Its always a pleasure to see your updates man!

Thanks
    ROFL, that dancing painting is awesome, the expressions on your face are right on, I go out clubbin every now and then and I like to observe the expressions on peoples faces when there breaking it down on the dance floor. You definilty got the expressions right. I'm sometimes that guy with my eyes closed.
    wondeful drawing underneath also, nice work man, good to see your work.

Thanks
    i love how my eye travels all over the page, i never get bored with your work (particularly the sketches), and i think this last paintings got what your sketches got (the interesting composition), and that's why i'm liking where it's going. good schtuff

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    i love it. your sketches make me sketch more!
    i need a white pen. do you use any gel pens by chance?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Hey Andy, how's things? portraits looking great. there's a good vibe from the last painting you did, I don't quite see the eye prob though, seems good from me, but yeah.. I really love seeing your line work, but I think you could loosen up a little more on the line weights, you know give it some kick here and there. All your drawings very solid, I am nitpicking. cheers, Min

Thanks
    dude, just chiming in to say that I'm keeping my eyes on you like usual. Totally awesome. I won't dare to interject Cody's or fat kid's comments, they're illustrators, not me. I totally love how gay everyone is for you. You're a god among gay men. And regular men I guess too. Keep it up, I'm glad to see this stuff.

PS: You know that ozzfest lawn tickets are 20 dollars this weekend only right? You know that DragonForce is gonna be at Ozzfest, right?

Are we going?

-A

• Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast