Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb How do you find time to draw...

Hello again,

Haven't seen a thread like this so I figured "what the heck...", all I do is complain about not having enough time on my hands for, well nearly nothing, and I'd bet most of you guys are dealing with the same problem day-by-day.
    I know I had to put aside what little knowledge I had of drawing because of school (still 10 or so pages of my notebooks' backs were full of doodles), then came the relief I felt after finishing high-school, then came the university which I started this autumn, and on the side I got myself a job as a "book artist"(dunno what to call it) (I do the cover and the illustrations inside), which pays fairly well. So I ended up working a "morning shift" plus the work I have to do at home, studying, going to school all weekend, and that's about it.
    I just feel that I've grown apart from my friends as my preoccupations are kinda growing beyond my control.
    Now I know that I'm exagerating, I know that most of you have it far worse than I do (I know that, and I understand what you must be going through)
    but I also am amazed that you can still find time for those magnificent drawings which you post very frequently.
    I know that Masque is an already accomplished father and a very skilled artist (aside from this he's even self-taught), so there's a man whose example is hard to follow (I don't mean to do any damage, Masque, just trying to be appreciative).

So the question remains.... what do you sacrifice to have at least a moment to hold your coal, pencil in your hand? How do you find time for all this?

Looking forward to your feedback....
    Charlie

_________
    All art is worth more than the time it takes, I'm sure of it

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Make Time.

Just kidding! It's all balancing. Just try to cut one thing out for a week and focus on drawing. Then the next week you'll have to cut down on drawing and get back to the other thing.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    If you have the time to post, you have the time to draw. I put in about
    2 1/2 - 4 hrs every night after checking my e-mail and catching up on what I might have missed on CA during the day when I randomly check it. If you're truly dedicated and enjoy drawing you find, and make time to draw.
    -Mike V

Thanks
    It's more a question of motivation than time- if you are motivated enough to do it, you'll find the pockets of free time where you can work... sometimes it's more important to do your stuff than get your full 8 hours of rest as well. Energy drinks help I find I'd rather stay up working sometimes and deal with the sleepiness the next day if I have a piece of artwork as a reminder of why I was up... and even if you're not forgoing sleep, you're still awake for 15-16 hours a day. There is always some kind of time to do it, you just have to get the steam to make a habit of it.

That being said, I gotta go do my shit

Thanks

Arrow

the Best way would be to keep your sketchbook with you at all times.

-JtJ

Thanks
    Yes; listen to these dudes above me, they definitely know what they're talking about. Keeping a sketchbook around all the time helps as you can draw pretty much anywhere minus let's say, the bathroom. [But you could do that as well.] A quick sketch here and there is better than nothing. And if there is absolutely no time during the day, like Cotron said, staying up at night usually yields good results. There aren't any distractions, and concentration is at a high. Hope this helps, and goodluck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash
    Sell your tv.

And i'm not kidding.
    seconded, also if you're a student chances are you're going to be sitting through many many boring and unimporantant lecture classes. thats a good 45 min. block right there.

Thanks
    I sacrificed having a girlfriend, or at least being on the quest for one (means partying).
    My friends are yet to follow

Thanks
    Two words - Flux Capacitor

I third the tv thing. At some point, I passed a threshold where I would rather paint than watch tv, play games... If it weren't for kids and family, I don't know that I would get out all that much. At some point it just becomes an obsession. A beautiful, cruel and jealous mistress.
    LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter

Thanks
    Guys, contrary to popular belief, I don't watch TV --I have one though--, it's bee about 5-6 months since I've even turned it on.
    Still I need to cut down on the partying, I know it's worth it, just didn't know what to sacrifice for it.
    Invinciblewombat-thanks for the tipp, I'll surely try it, man are those classes boring.

Thanks guys, keep posting though, I want to hear more oppinions/tipps

Thanks
    Otherside had it right the first time.

Or to put it another way "Any way I can."

Thanks
    easy: begin to make a neurosis out of producing art, cut down on sleep (3 hours/day max- except sundays, you should sleep at least 8 hours then), consume as much coffee, sugar and cigarettes as possible and get rid of all social contacts

damn.. I should get out more...

Cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    If you have the time to post, you have the time to draw
    like that
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Eat, sleep, school, draw. I watch Dr. House every Tuesday, but avoid daytime television lik the plague. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll get out more...but for now its time to draw!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VirusArtist
    easy: begin to make a neurosis out of producing art, cut down on sleep (3 hours/day max- except sundays, you should sleep at least 8 hours then), consume as much coffee, sugar and cigarettes as possible and get rid of all social contacts

damn.. I should get out more...

Cheers,
    Etienne

hey some people round here get very offended about being called neurotic!
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Etienne....I've never consumed coffee, cigarettes, or had a sugar O.D. (been reserving that for my 21'st birthday), and the 3hrs a day is waaaaay off, that would upset my daydream schedule. That just wouldn't be rational.

Believe me, now while I'm posting I'm still drawing, but don't have more time on my hands. I'll just have to try harder

Keep posting guys, we'll have a winner soon....

Thanks
    I hope this doesn't offend you, but....

You ever listen to Denis Leary?
    Well, to paraphrase:
    SHUT THE FUCK UP and draw!

I started working full time, was married and had a kid in the past two years, and I made a decision to make time to draw. Whether it's at work, on line at the store, or grabbing time at night...
    Otherside wasn't kidding... you make time and when you feel like bitching about how little time you have... draw.

Thanks
    Sell your TV?

SELL YOUR TV?

HOLY CRIZAP!

How the Bloody Hell do you Expect to Watch your Futurama DVDs??????????

! Geeez !

Hehe..

Thanks
    the most successfull way is to make it part of your routine. You sleep right? you take showers and eat? Make drawing an indespensible part of your life. Always have a sketchbook on you. If i'm waiting for a train i'm most likely doodling in one of 3 sketchbooks i have on me at all times. It's come to a point where if i don't have a sketchbook or a pencil in hand i feel like i'm naked.

also i stopped sleeping again. i'm a zombie all day and pass out at work. but when i get home and i'm ready to pass out all i really want to do is draw.

Every tuesday i go to the Society of Illustrators to draw from the model. it has become so much of a routine that on the rare week that they cancel the seesions i go crazy. even branched out to go to other model sessions.

Every saturday i meet up with friends and draw. I look forward to these outings all week. I center my life around them.

Also I get an hour for lunch and i go public spaces, inhale some food and draw the rest of the hour.

A few days ago i was painting all day on the weekend and i never put the painting or the painting supplies away. so now everytime i walk by it on the way to my room the brushes and paint are ready to go and i can start something up at will.

I guess waht i'm trying to say (in my incoherent sleep-deprived way) is if you make it easy for yourself to start drawing at any time, you'd always find a few minutes here and there. and sometimes (many times) those minutes will turn into sleepless nights.

Thanks
    Seriously Though.. TV is a final meduim for many Projects 'Concept Artists' would be working on. If anything Master the Art of just Listening to your TV. I perfected that in college when listening to my Simpsons tapes while doing homework.

"I've said Jimminy Gillickers so many times the words have lost all meaning!"

-JtJ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    right on. I have a stack of movies taller than me which I've seen enough times that I can put them on and work while listening. I actually notice things sometimes which I never had before by strictly listening. Books on tape are great as well. I guess this is off topic, but I'm not concerned with being the "winner" anyhow
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Don't get me started on the Harry Potter Audio Books!

THEY ROCK!

-JtJ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTheJames
    Don't get me started on the Harry Potter Audio Books!

THEY ROCK!

-JtJ
    OH GOD YES. At least the quicktime version where all those chapters are incooperated etc? I wonder if it's the same guy making all the voices, because there are so many.

Thanks
    Ok fine don't let TV suck you in and grab all your attention. Draw at the same time and only listen to it.
    I remember an ooooooooooooold post from Jason where he basicaly said draw any chance you get. Draw in the car while waiting for your gf to get her act together, etc. I guess it's fill your waiting moments with drawing. Anytime you don't *NEED* your drawing hand and eyes, draw. Easy said eh ?

Thanks
    Finding time to draw is difficult especially when you are trying to balance all of lifes bullshit, work,school,kids,work,home,work,.... I feel ya...

Thanks
    just sleep less that's what i do at least get to bed at 1-2 AM and wake up at 5.30 AM and during weekends I don't sleep at all...

Thanks
    Well, pretty much alot of people already gave good advices.
    Personally, i do like AmishCommy, i just spend all my free time drawing. And now im scared of forgetting my paper and pencil at home .
    Anyway, if you cant find time, make it. Get rid of things you dont need. Organize your daily activities so you can keep some time to fill pages.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Get a job that can work around your schedule more. Take days off if you can, ge a job close to where you live, if its possible. Draw at night, draw in your head when your sitting there looking at people. If you can and it doesn't fuck you up like it does with me. Get less sleep. I understand the pain of trying to make time, it just sucks everyone has to eat and stay warm. Otherwise the pencil would be clenched to my hand and never released.

Oh and like Ammish said, if you paint, keep your paints out, so there there, grab em dont even think about what you should paint, well maybe a bit, just grab your brush, grab a picture, grab an idea from your head and go at it. By leaving them out it saves alot of time taking them out and setting them up, as well as fighting the lazyness of taking them out.

Justin.

Thanks
    The computer takes away all my leisure time. If I didn't have it, then I'd prolly be drawing 90% of the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast