Thanks

Lightbulb What do you need to be a Concept Artist???

Ok, do you want to be a Concept Artist?????
    Me too!!!
    Do you know what you need to become one????????
    Me either....

Soooooo, pros and ... other pros! please help the ignorant ones!!

I thought it would be cool to make a explanation of the process of making concepts; and what kind of skills you must have.

So I come up with a basic list of topics to start with (just as a guide):

-Tasks you must to be familiar with:
    Basics of Concept development, The concept description (how specific this is? how much freedom do you have?)
    developing a concept, research, sketchs,
    a finished concept, difrent views, character movment studies,
    how fast you must be? (how much time takes 1 character concept)
    other things?

-Kind of knowledge you need:
    Anatomy (human, animal)
    Costumes
    Items, tools, weapons, etc
    Vehicles
    Enviroments
    Other useful skills?

Later would be cool to made a single post for reference, with the most relevant info posted here.
    So, if it sound good to you, dont be shy and share your thoughts an experiences

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I have a feeling your looking for a golden rule, it doesnt quiet work that way, your not exactly studying for an exam if you know what i mean
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Thanks for replying RedRook!
    But no, thats not what Im looking for
    I want to know a little better the kind of work you must do as a CAtist;
    cause my first student steps were (are) in the field of ilustration, and just recently I've started to see the diferences between those two worlds.
    Also I suppose some stuff about concept art (like any other profession), could be only experienced in a real job (with real exygencies, deadlines, and lot of work to do (some of it may be you don't like to do)); so I wanted to know about job experiencies, and working enviromets other artists have been.
    Just to try to make the wall I going to broke my nose when i get my first job, a bit thiner

So, I m looking for something like what JoshuaTheJames did on his thread:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57991

Thats very helpfull (thanks Joshua ), someone who share his thougths about his working experiencie. It really open your eyes.

So if any want to share his thoughts, here Ill be to listen

Cheers!

Thanks
    One important thing to do to become a concept artist is to conserve your question marks and exclamation points. You only get a limited number and if you use them all up, it's going to be hard to ask clients to expound on a design description.

Oh, and draw a lot.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Hahaha!!!!!!!!!!
    That was a joke right????????????

Thanks
    Good. A sense of humor is the other big requirement.

Thanks
    Until you make it big.... to be able to go for a few weeks without food?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I'll take a shot at this one.

Like Rook said, there's no golden rule here. There are many, many different areas of concept art. Game design, character design (for games, film, TV, animation, toys, books... you name it) environment design, character design, prop design, costume design... though each area is related, each job is a separate beast.

I've only worked in the toy and animation fields and most of my work is character based; in fact, I've never done environment design...! When it comes to research, I found art books from other cultures (Africa, Oceania and Native Americans especially) to be rich with inspiration. I've found it's also a good idea to research mythology for the obscure legends and stories that you can embellish and take further.

I'm not sure how many schools offer character design courses, but I was lucky enough to take one with an amazing teacher. The course helped me to simplify characters, taught me which cliches to use (and not use) when trying to define a character's personality and where to look for inspiration. If you can find such a course, take it!

My supplies range from a steady supply of col-erase pencils, marker paper and a working scanner to overdue library books about costuming, masks of different cultures, mythology and history of fashion design.

In terms of speed; if I am working for a long term client (with recurring charatcers), I make a library of character templates to speed things up. If there is one thing you can bet on with concept design, it's that there will be changes made constantly . You need to work in a way that can allow for changes, twists and pissy art directors.

In the case of Hasbro (My Little Pony), I have one base sketch of a pony that I use for costume tracing. If they decide to change the Pony into a unicorn, pegasus, centaur, donkey, whatever - it's easy to just trace over my template and slap on wings, horns, etc.

When I design turn sheets, it can take anywhere from 2 hours for simple accessories to 8 hours for a more elaborate playset. I've known artists who spend days doing turns - I am really quite slow with character turns, but I find that having the marker paper (which is translucent but holds lead really well) allows me to trace one angle directly over another to ensure accuracy.

That's really all I can say. I'm still a n00b in the concept art world, so I hope others can chime in.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I'm technically not a Concept Artist in the sense of this thread, but I'm assuming the one thing you'll need is a working brain supported with an unending curiousity and patience. All the rest is gravey...

Thanks
    Hey Steph!
    Thanks a lot for sharing your experiencie
    Really helpfull!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Hey Joan Pau,

Like I told you the other day, I think its good to know more about the studios or companies you would ideally be interested in working with.

I really don't know much about this subject personally, but from what I've seen you need to be able to do charachter sheets and ortho views, as well as posing shots. Have an understanding of all the foundations, anatomy, ideal proportions, perspective, composition, value, lighting, color, etc. Have a good base in illustration and/or fine arts.

Design will be one of your biggest responsabilities, you need to know the fundamentals good enough so you dont struggle with them and loose time. If you are struggling to correct that arm for an hour, you lost an hour... which you could have used for spending in the design... (if that makes any sense).

Thanks
    Here's something I found the other day: Clicky

...Is it at all true/useful?
    Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    conserve your question marks and exclamation points
    haha, oh man. I don't like to be sarcastic when people ask a serious question, but I had to laugh. Joiton's posts are so intense!

as to the actual question, I agree with the general attitude above: it's just way too braod a question to give any kind of serious answer. If you have alot of time and interest, you can surf the old threads of CA and find many golden nuggets of advice. Working your ass off is a good start though.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    haha, oh man. I don't like to be sarcastic when people ask a serious question, but I had to laugh. Joiton's posts are so intense!
    He's a great guy and he's actually really laid back in real life, with a great humor. The internet can be really distortive, especially to people who are not part of or are not familiar with netiquette and internet culture.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    In case this isnt as obvious as it should be, i'll mention it: you need a vivid imagination. If you can paint perfect a perfect still life but cannot think of a character of your own, you wont make it as a concept artist.

Thanks
    Hey thakns for the replies!

Ileake: Shure! and that goes for any kind of art,... and even LIFE!......i think

Borken: Yeah shure, each company should be a difrent little world with his own rules (though the basics still there obviously). And for shure the goal is to make the basic knowledge as automatic (in the way of no need to think about it) as possible for, as you say, get into designing the concept. (and thanks for the nice words )

Quiksilver: Thanks for the link, It have some intresting stuff.

Dave: I think you are right. And you got me there, my idea was to avoid the old posts search ( lazy me! ) and get that info in one single post..

Slash: Yeah, that's very true!

Well, thanks for replying, now i have things more clear in my mind and heart

Though!!! if you still wanto share, please feel free!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    I would think all the answers to your questions could be solved by looking at our portfolio www.conceptart.org/Portfolio

that is what we use to get work as a concept team. point is, you have to be able to go head to head with professionals and well..this is what we use to do so. of course you need the skills to do what we do as well. there is always room for another pro concept designer.

Thanks
    Hey Jason!
    Thanks for the reply (I'm downloading the portfolio, so I'll let you know later )

By the way, I wanted to tankyou something else; the job I'm currently doing (wich allow me to get a new Pc only for work) was thanks to CA, so I'm really grateful to you and the other people that makes CA the great place it is!!!!

Cheers man!!!!

Ps: I want to be in MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Jason's WRONG.

You Need 'Moxy' Kid! And Lots of it!

>_< -sorry. I just have way too much silliness for one entity. haha.

-JtJ

Thanks
    Ok, I get two things of all this:

1) There is no real goal; just keep drawing! (and don't forget the moxy ). Also I think is important know well your skills and weak points, to not get in something you cant deal with.

2) I must go to make my self a portfolio. Having out of my mind the MB one; so I keep my ass from exploding...

Well, thanks to all for heping out; and to you Jason for the link, great inspiring stuff man!

So I think you'll see me soon in the portfolio review thread!

Saludos!!

EDIT: I founded this old thread that has pretty much the same question I made. There is some really intresting info in it:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1648
    Last edited by joiton; February 10th, 2006 at 04:03 AM.